Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Cameras

Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #16
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamFilms View Post
Heres a good question. I havent filmed anything since vcrs were popular. Whats dslr?
Digital Single Lens Reflex. DSLR.

Digital stills cameras (form factor of traditional 35mm photography cams) that also shoot HD video. Large image sensor, interchangeable lenses, can make great images in the right hands.

So, let's set all this aside for a second. Do you have a DP (Director of Photography)? Who is going to be shooting your feature?

You need to start by working with that person to figure out what they need/want. And if you don't have a DP, indietalk is onto somethin' there about lining up a DP who is an owner/operator. Kill two birds with one stone, ya know?
AcousticAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 09-21-2017, 05:56 PM   #17
BamFilms
Basic Member

Even though I can pretty much fund this small project, thats based off of having my old camera. I would love to have someone to do that buy I dont know where to start. I may start with craigslist or call around a few places. I am just thinking that its gonna be expensive. Anything close to 1000 daily will just not work unless i put a crowdfunding campaign to work.
BamFilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #18
BamFilms
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticAl View Post
XF105 is an interesting choice for a feature. When I read your original post, I thought you'd be renting something a bit... bigger. Like RED, or Alexa, or even a Canon Cinema series.

Just curious... what made you come up with the XF105?

And I see you changed your location. Not in Chattanooga anymore?
Forgot to answer your question. No, I am around the gulf coast. 25+ years in the scenic city was enough.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #19
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
Forgot to answer your question. No, I am around the gulf coast. 25+ years in the scenic city was enough.
Okay. I was asking because I had shops in Atlanta and Nashville in mind, but since you're not there anymore that's not going to help.

Quote:
Even though I can pretty much fund this small project, thats based off of having my old camera. I would love to have someone to do that buy I dont know where to start. I may start with craigslist or call around a few places. I am just thinking that its gonna be expensive. Anything close to 1000 daily will just not work unless i put a crowdfunding campaign to work.
Not sure what the indie filmmaking community is like in Mobile, but you might start with the Mobile Film Office. They have a searchable directory of crew people. There are also several annual film festivals, and if you have a local 24/48/54-hour or 7-day shootout, those are great places to network.

Were you planning to shoot this yourself with the rented XF-105? Are your skills at a point where you'll be able to handle that and it be the best decision for your film? I ask that because you called yourself "stupid when it comes to cameras", and mentioned you haven't shot anything "since VCRs were popular". So, what were you using the JVC 4K camera for? All of this leads me to think that you need a DP.

$1k per day is a fair rate on a big-budget production with a big-budget camera. On this low-budget stuff, though, you can negotiate a rate if you can find someone who, like indietalk mentioned, is interested in building a reel or will take on the project for fun and for a low rate. That way, you have someone who knows backwards and forwards the camera they're using, and can get the images you want for your film.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:51 PM   #20
BamFilms
Basic Member

Atlanta is still just a 5 hour drive or so. I could if need be, drive there.
I did some wedding video services, and a couple party videos. I just havent done anything major since. And I guess I planned on doing it. Besides, Im very interested in trying it for fun. Its not like I plan on filming something that will make me a millionare. Maybe I should take it a little more seriously, but i started the project for fun, and even if I hire a DP to make it more proffesional, my number one goal is to have fun with it. I really love all the advice, and admire you guys for steering me into the best possible path.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #21
AcousticAl
Basic Member

Quote:
... Im very interested in trying it for fun. Its not like I plan on filming something that will make me a millionare. Maybe I should take it a little more seriously, but i started the project for fun, and even if I hire a DP to make it more proffesional, my number one goal is to have fun with it.
There it is! Okay, this is kinda the meat and potatoes of it.

You gotta understand, lots of posters who start talking about their first feature films have high expectations and high hopes of festival distribution and getting "discovered". The liklihood of any of that happening on a first feature is slim to none, but if there's any hope even of having some distribution then it makes sense to get a DP owner/operator.

I like that you have a much more realistic approach, and that you're honest about your expectations.

Since you're doing this for fun, does that mean you're also doing this to learn and brush up your skills? If this is all what's driving you, then you might be just fine buying a camera that you can use for this project and others beyond it. Even a good deal on a used DSLR will give you something to learn with, and that can get you good pictures if you put in some elbow grease. You can do that, with a couple decent lenses, for under $1k.

One of the bigger newbie mistakes that can ruin an indie film - even one that's "for fun" - is sound. If you save some of your budget on camera, put more of it into getting a skilled recordist who has a decent kit. On-camera mic ain't gonna cut it.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:12 PM   #22
indietalk
IndieTalk Founder

Check FB for local film groups. If not, start one. It's a good way to work on films if you can get it together. Invite local filmmakers you found by searching. Call it a networking group to help on each others' projects and to brainstorm. Schedule a monthly get together in your area once you have enough members. Once it gets going, well, then you know people. And if you are the organizer-in-chief, maybe people will want to help you out. Just an idea.
indietalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 PM   #23
BamFilms
Basic Member

Good idea. And yes, I hope to learn alot through this. But Im in it for fun. I have a decent job that i enjoy, and not expecting this to change that. But after some time and plenty of mistakes, maybe one day I will have expert experience, lol.