Home Your Ad Here

Go Back   IndieTalk - Indie Film Forum > Tools of the Trade > Cameras

Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Rueful
Basic Member

Camera/Lens/Accessories choice

Hello everybody,

I've just registered to this forum, read some threads and seems that you guys are very helpful, and doing well here.
Anyways, I am from Serbia and I study cinema in Turkey. I've just finished my second year. This summer I came to USA to work, make some money and my primary goal with that money is buying my first camera, my first lens and probably some accessories. To be totally honest with you guys, I am not very expirenced "filmmaker", and I do not know much about lenses and cameras, like I said this will be my first purchase. That's why, I could use any help in the world, and I believe that you guys have much more experience and information than me.
I plan to spend around 3000-3500$ on everything (body, 1 lens, 1-2 accessorie) and I would really appreciate any help. Now Im very well aware that story and ideas are much more important than the equipment and that some masterpieces had been shot with bad equipment, but I also believe that this is a very important choice for me.
At first I was in dilemma between buying a Panasonic GH5 or Sony a7s ii, then I've started thinking that camera with MFT sensor may not be the best choice, bla bla bla..
So here I am, asking for your help to build my first little filmmaking arsenal, with this much money I can afford for now.

I thank you all in advance.
Rueful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today   #1A
film guy
Basic Member

Old 07-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
buscando
Basic Member

In addition to people's recommendations here, you might find this info from Reddit useful. It has equipment arranged into price ranges. If you're planning to have dialog in your film, audio equipment is equally as important. I discovered that the hard way.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/wiki/cameraguide
https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/wiki/audioguide
buscando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
Rueful
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscando View Post
In addition to people's recommendations here, you might find this info from Reddit useful. It has equipment arranged into price ranges. If you're planning to have dialog in your film, audio equipment is equally as important. I discovered that the hard way.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/wiki/cameraguide
https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/wiki/audioguide
Will check for sure. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
El Director
Basic Member

I think you'd be best off getting an old Canon T#i. They're great cameras for learning and can still produce great images. Get two lens. A nice constant aperture zoom like the 24-105 and a cheaper prime that's fast, like a 28mm f1.8. Get a few batteries, and then invest in some audio gear. Don't spend big bucks on a camera until you learn some basics (which the Rebel line is great for) and know why you'd want to upgrade to a better camera.

Here's two examples I did with the T2i, using Magic Lantern hack and Vision Color picture styles.

El Director is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
Rueful
Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Director View Post
I think you'd be best off getting an old Canon T#i. They're great cameras for learning and can still produce great images. Get two lens. A nice constant aperture zoom like the 24-105 and a cheaper prime that's fast, like a 28mm f1.8. Get a few batteries, and then invest in some audio gear. Don't spend big bucks on a camera until you learn some basics (which the Rebel line is great for) and know why you'd want to upgrade to a better camera.

Here's two examples I did with the T2i, using Magic Lantern hack and Vision Color picture styles.

Thank you very much! I will check out your videos and the camera/lenses you've mentioned.
Good luck with your next projects