Trying to shoot oil painting tutorials using a Canon Legria

I am a complete novice really
The videos look pretty much ok when finished but when I upload them to youtube they seem to be heavily compressed automatically by YT all fuzzy and pixely, poor quality. Most YT vids by other users seem to be very sharp and Hi Res.

I suppose the camera I am using is fairly amateur (more for family holidays probably) but as I said they look pretty sharp before uploading to YT… I am editing as best I can with iMovie. My latest vid is a little over 5mins duration. 481 MB 1280x720 … If I bought a more professional camera I still would not be able to avoid youtube’s compression would I?

Any suggestions here v welcome… Please remember I am not very savvy with technical stuff.
The video is currently set to Private on YT but the link is here should anyone be interested ... Thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WrbGcldZFQ&feature=youtu.be

OK so I see the url has revealed the vid in the post. At that small size it looks reasonably good. but on a larger YT viewer or full-screen it is terrible (compared to the original and other users vids anyway)

Set on private means nobody can see it, except for up tp 20 youtube accounts that you list.

Set it to hidden, so we can see it.

The question is: what codec did you use to export the file?

Hi Walter. From the camera the file was an AVCHD file. When I exported it in iMovie it was an mp4 … I notice there are various iMovie option icons to export including CNN iReport, vimeo, and YouTube. The option I used was simply entitled “File” which I think is the highest quality. I seem to remember trying the youtube option before but I think it also came out very fuzzy.
I have put the YT video on 'unlisted' hopefully it will show now

https://youtu.be/4WrbGcldZFQ

Try these specs if you're able to choose them, especially the codec/compression:
•Best video codec for YouTube: High profile H.264 (in progressive scan mode)
•Best video format for YouTube: MP4
•Best audio codec for YouTube: AAC-LC (Stereo or Stereo + 5.1 channels)
•Aspect Ratio: Native aspect ratio 16:9 without pillar boxes or letter boxes. So make sure to change the aspect ratio to 16:9 for a smooth YouTube uploading.
•Resolution: 480p: 854x480 and 360p: 640x360(16:9) are recommended. (I think your res is fine)
•Audio format: MP3 or AAC preferred
•Frames per second: 30
•Maximum length: 15 minutes for unverified account (we recommend 2-3 minutes) and 11 hours for verified account.
•Maximum file size: 2 GB

https://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/best-video-format-for-youtube.htm

Last edited:
Also it should be noted. Pigment looks different in light. You're going from two different types of color methods.

One is additive and the other is subtractive. If I remember correctly Green is going to look the most different in person as opposed to on video or film.

Thanks buscando and Gila Vista for your replies the other day, sorry for late reply. Re the specs that you posted buscando, I am not sure how to select in iMovie the “High profile H.264 (in progressive scan mode)” nor the “aspect ratio 16:9” nor frames per second, I will have a look and try. Thanks Gila Vista for your points on colour. I’m not sure how much colour will affect the sharpness/resolution

Back