No ideas...

Thanks... I have to admit never thought of it :no: Now when I look at it, it really makes sense... Thanks for the inspiration!

But again about making something. Should I look for quality or for quantity? Shhould I shoot almost any thing that comes to my mind or find a good story?

Thanks... I have to admit never thought of it :no: Now when I look at it, it really makes sense... Thanks for the inspiration!

But again about making something. Should I look for quality or for quantity? Shhould I shoot almost any thing that comes to my mind or find a good story?

All of the above. Quality will develop with practice.

Scanning over the thread (sorry if I missed something, running on very little sleep for the last 9 days, lol, i might be punchy) it looks like you're into writing. Write down everything that comes to your mind, no matter how lame it seems - explore it a little, maybe it will turn into something worth shooting, maybe not - but either way you've worked through something written. Brainstorm 1 sentence log lines, make up stories about people you see on the train, or in the store, or in a park, or whatever. Think about random (funny/sad/poigniant/interesting) things that have happened in your life and see if those inspire stories. And so on.

Similarly, if you want to learn an aspect (shooting, editing, mixing audio, whatever) then find ways to practice at it - shooting in particular is as much teaching your body to operate a camera in various forms as it is learning the technical and aesthetic aspects. Audio mixing requires training yourself to listen in new and more detailed ways, and so on.

Late last night, I looked at the rough cut of a short film I shot in Jan for the first time. Some stuff in there I wanted to smack myself for letting happen - and some few moments of which I am really proud. (fortunately it's a pretty decent script and the two main actors are good, so my mistakes will be less glaring) So here I am in this thread again to remind myself of my own advice. :lol:

Last edited:
The way you get good at anything is to practice. Anything.
It's no different making films. You go for quality while making
one film a month for one year - quantity.

You decided not to shoot the story you posted because a friend
didn't like it. You should shoot it anyway - it's good practice. If
it isn't good you will have a story for your next movie. And you
will learn why it isn't good and make the next one better.

Is there a possibility that you can look for quality AND quantity?

Back