DIY "Anamorphic Lens Flares"

Disclaimer: I'm not the biggest fan of excessive lens flares; I find flares-for-the-sake-of-it sorta gimmicky.

But I do have an upcoming project where the wide horizontal flare/streak (similar to that present in anamorphic lenses) is desired, so I started looking into the various filters available and researched the concept behind them.

At the moment, I don't have any "behind-the-scenes" pictures... just this test image. But there's really nothing much to it. Just a piece of fishing line/filament stretched vertically over the front of the lens.

The filament was held in place by a UV filter attached to the front of the lens. If you want a totally glass-less setup, you can actually remove the glass from the UV filter and use the frame.

My first attempts were with straight X-Acto knife cut/etches in a piece of hard clear plastic (didn't want to waste a bunch of glass UV filters in the process). However, a single etched line didn't flare very well. The best result I got with the etching route was multiple lines running parallel, spaced in even increments. This gave a nice flare all the way across.

But once the filament was tried, I completely abandoned the etching method as there's no worry about low-quality glass on the front of the lens, softening your image.

Attachments

• lq_anamorphic.jpg
    lq_anamorphic.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 734
The filament doesn't have to be aligned to match the light location (I think I'm understanding that correctly. Lemme know otherwise.)

In this case, the line is simply stretched vertically across the center of the lens.

You can also run it horizontally for vertical streaks.

A thicker line gives more pronounced results. Just tried it with some 80LB test line and it looks really nice.

What is the "obscured" notation meaning?

Will have to try this out!

Btw, when you were trying the etching thing... you can buy starburst filters in a wide variety of shapes & intensities. Probably better results than an exacto, and not terrible expensive, either.

Zensteve: In hindsight, I'm not totally sure why I put "obscured". Heh heh. Just meant it was out of focus or blurred. :)

I'm familiar with some of the star filters. Used to have an array of old Cokin filters and the holder thing that allows them to be stacked. Though it's been quite a few years since I last used that stuff.

The fishing line is the way to go, as you can get by with NO glass and thus no potential degradation or softening of the image.

I just finished a more permanent filter using an old step-up adapter with two small holes drilled to run the filament through. The adapter allows me to put my variable-ND filter on the front. Works really well so far.

Here are a couple of pics showing how simple the filter really is. It's composed of a piece of heavy fishing line attached through two holes drilled into a 49-to-58mm step-up adapter. (The lens shown, a Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4, has a 49mm filter thread.)

Attachments

• anamorphic_adapter_pic.jpg
    anamorphic_adapter_pic.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 153
  • anamorphic_adapter_cu.jpg
    anamorphic_adapter_cu.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 192
J.J. Abrams would approve :lol:

But no, seriously. I love lens flares in the right scenes (such as in outdoor 360 shots, preferably around two characters talking). They have a sort of dreamy quality to them.

I actually envisioned one of the scenes in the feature I'm going to make next year as having lens flares. This would be of much help, thanks! :)

Here are a few test pics. ...with a 2.35:1 crop, of course. ;)

Attachments

• anamorphic_test_01.jpg
    anamorphic_test_01.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 155
  • anamorphic_test_02.jpg
    anamorphic_test_02.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 108
  • anamorphic_test_05.jpg
    anamorphic_test_05.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 164
Just saw this in the video from the new sony camera (linked elsewhere here). Wouldn't have noticed it without this thread!

Screen shot 2012-04-13 at 1.50.10 PM.jpg Screen shot 2012-04-13 at 1.50.26 PM.jpg

Thanks for sharing this!

I've experimented with multiple lines across the lens (with nice results), but that setup looks really interesting!

Back