Layer of Dust effect

PaulWrightyThen

IOTM Winner
Hi Guys,

So we start shooting Fissure on Saturday and there is a scene where everything is covered in a thin layer of dust. I've looked around and everything seems fraught with lung cancer and explosion danger.

Any one got any recommendations for a 'Dusty' room effect?

Cheers

It's either you do it in post or have actual dust diffusing in the room with a beam of light that shines on the dust particles so we are able to see the effect more clearly.

Grnated maybe but just a quick google and looked at the wiki page
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuller's_earth

Aye, "However, health concerns in this regard have been debated."

So, say I have a shot where someone is laid down in a room filled with this stuff ie. a thin layer on the floor, on tables etc. is it going to have a damaging effect? On the link I posted it says its safer than 'Fullers Earth' but in the safety sheet its all doom and gloom.

http://www.tvandfilmsupplies.co.uk/UserFiles/Docs/Safety%20Datasheets/Set%20Dressing/KM%20Bentonite%20MSDS%20%20ver%206%20%203-2009.pdf

Minefield, I tell thee.

Would any of you have someone laid down in this stuff?

Cheers so far :)

Yea, thing is even breathing air is bad. I have had an actress lay down on the floor of mexican bar in Dallas (later my 1st AD, a former cop told me the floor was littered with discarded coke packs and other crap). They apparently still use this sfuff in movies so I don't see the problem. Probably safer than dirt in the backyard that your kids are playing in. Problem is today so many people are looking for a handout that companies go overboard to protect themselves. I would not only have someone lay down it it, I would have no problem doing it myself. Good luck on your shoot by the way.

Aye, "However, health concerns in this regard have been debated."

So, say I have a shot where someone is laid down in a room filled with this stuff ie. a thin layer on the floor, on tables etc. is it going to have a damaging effect? On the link I posted it says its safer than 'Fullers Earth' but in the safety sheet its all doom and gloom.

Would any of you have someone laid down in this stuff?

I have done this many times on dozens of shows. Even had it blown by
Ritter's for days at a time. No damaging effects.

Far from "doom and gloom" that MSDS seems to show that KM Bentonite
is quite safe. Precautions should be taken, of course, but it looks safe to
me. A little irritation if you get in your eyes but easily taken care of.

I don't know of any "dust" that won't cause any irritation if you get it
in your eyes.

ANY fine particle you buy is going to say it is dangerous for inhalation and an irritant. When you buy a bag of sand at Home Depot it warns you as well, of silica dust. Which is fine sand.

It is important to read MSDS, but also know what you are reading. Lemon juice is an irritant to the eyes, and I've seen people freak out over a product saying they are not buying it because it is an irritant. When upon further reading, you see it is common sense. Lemon juice is an irritant. However it is natural, and you just keep it away from the eyes.

UK source: http://www.tvandfilmsupplies.co.uk/ecommerce/search/set-dressing/dust-and-debris/

Cheers guys. Makes me feel a lot better about it. I'd been having this argument in my own head, but to hear others saying it is class. It's like you are acting as my concience.

Thanks!

Back