Super 8mm Feature Film

Hey.

So, we are going to be shooting our next feature on...wait for it...Super8. We are looking to score the Nizo 6080.

The film is going to be exploitation...hence our choice to go old-school Super8.

What do you guys think?

And for those that have never seen an actual 'film' done on Super8...check this out for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaNY7F7WI8

These days, I think it's funny when people with computers ask how they can sync audio up. All you have to do is nudge snippets in the Timeline, do some ramping/fading and it's done. Back then, I would play a keyboard for entire scenes and get everything in sync, just by watching the TV or monitor. A single line of dialogue was sometimes culled from multiple takes, so I might have to press 4 different keys just to have a character say one sentence!

:lol: OMG, tell me about it! My movie was shot without crystal-sync on the S8 camera. The sound was recorded onto the hi-fi tracks of a VHS tape. The sync drifted constantly, even within a single sentence, so I spent hundreds of hours on a U-matic cuts-only system trimming audio frames to maintain sync as best I could. NIGHTMARE!

Meanwhile my composer recorded and edited his music on non-MIDI 4-track reel-to-reel. To maintain sync during the mix he'd drag his thumb on the feed reel to slow it down! We were friggin' insane back then!

Hey.

So, we are going to be shooting our next feature on...wait for it...Super8. We are looking to score the Nizo 6080.

The film is going to be exploitation...hence our choice to go old-school Super8.

What do you guys think?

And for those that have never seen an actual 'film' done on Super8...check this out for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaNY7F7WI8

I've got 5 6080s... I have no idea what they are worth but all are in great shape... Still in the original aluminum cases with the original accessories.

Let me know if you're interested...

filmy

I've got 5 6080s... I have no idea what they are worth but all are in great shape... Still in the original aluminum cases with the original accessories.

Let me know if you're interested...

filmy

Can you shoot me your email addy--I'd like to pass it along to the producer and director. They are in Ebay/Craiglist battles over a 6080 right now...if that doesn't go over well, I'd love to shoot them your info.

Thanks.

Great bits of techno nostalgia here. :)

I’m sitting in front of my Tascam 38 8-track and Roland Mc 500 micro composer (Sequencer)
laughing at the newspaper photo. That mess of mad audio scientist look is all too familiar.

-Thanks-

Buddy, I remember lusting over the Roland MC 500! I like Roland sequencers, as I got along wonderfully with the onboard units in my XP-50 and Fantom keyboards.

XP50.jpg

I still have the reel to reel decks and they work. In fact, I still have THE BLACK CRYSTAL sequences, which were composed on the Yamaha SY77. I have an SY99, which reads all those files, as well as the TX16W samplers and E-MU Pro/Cussion (all in that video), which still work perfectly. Gotta love hardware that lasts for decades!

My current setup looks closer to THIS Picture, taken 3 years ago, except I added 2 more computers and newer monitors.

Great pic! :lol:

I have a Tascam M312 mixer that I use alot, and a Roland D10 keyboard that I used to use with my sequencer. Things are so much easier now.

I've never tried sync sound with film, but I always figured it was kind of like using a midi sync tone and tape to fire a sequencer/keyboard. Is this more or less true, is it pretty much the same principle?

-Thanks-

I've never tried sync sound with film, but I always figured it was kind of like using a midi sync tone and tape to fire a sequencer/keyboard. Is this more or less true, is it pretty much the same principle?

With my Bolex or Scoopic cameras, my stuff was generally "wild" sound. However, I was a soundman on a feature, which utilized crystal sync between an Arri camera and a Nagra reel to reel recorder. (Hence the term "Speed," once the units were running for a couple seconds and in sync.) I know a lot of videographers use Timecode Lockits, like in THIS Link.

I love Super-8 and would love to shoot a feature on it. That said, I think you should pick a feature that matches the format in this case. If you're making a Hollywood style thriller, I think it's bad choice because you'll just get compared to films a zillion times your budget and you will lose. A gritty horror film or some kind of post apocalyptic movie would be great on Super-8.

Check ebay for Nizo 6080.

You should also check out: www.moviestuff.tv for an alternative way to transfer Super-8.

Scott

I recently had the chance to see the above mentioned Super 8mm feature The Back Crystal ,and really enjoyed it. It’s an older work, so it has a way-back machine kind of fun to it that I love, but also solid acting, great dialogue, cool ext. locations and all the character that being shot on film brings.

-Thanks-

Mark Pirro did super 8mm features in the 1980's and 1990's. He's probably still doing them. I don't know him but here's his site http://www.pirromount.com/
Best of Luck

I recently had the chance to see the above mentioned Super 8mm feature The Back Crystal ,and really enjoyed it. It’s an older work, so it has a way-back machine kind of fun to it that I love, but also solid acting, great dialogue, cool ext. locations and all the character that being shot on film brings.
-

Ironically, THE BLACK CRYSTAL was being distributed at the same time and same company that was handling Mark Pirro's CURSE OF THE QUEERWOLF. Before shooting my flick, I studied Mark Pirro's results, notably A POLISH VAMPIRE IN BURBANK. I bought a couple of his movies, including DEATHROW GAMESHOW and, more recently, the giant ass that destroys Los Angeles movie - RECTUMA. I love those flicks! :D

Thanks for the feedback, Buddy!

600full-rectuma-poster.jpg

We've been doing a lot of research lately...we got a really nice S8 camera for $120...got our first bundle of film.

We do our two test shoots (scenes from the actual movie) next month.

After viewing crazy amounts of movies shot on S8...we are very excited. With the transfer technology today, and the quality of film stock, you can make your S8 film look like 16mm...

Should be a lot of fun.

Back