8GB Upgrade for Mac mini?

Hello. I got my Mac mini in 2009 and it has 1GB of RAM. And it sucks for editing HD features... really sucks. It lags. I had the patience to spend the time editing... eh.

Being the computer genius I am *sarcasm* I realized you CAN upgrade your ram in Mac mini... it's just a really annoying DIY process that can kill my only computer. :) Anyway, I heard somewhere that 4GB is the max for Mac mini's. I was wondering if 6 or 8GB is possible...? And if not, is 4GB great for editing full 1080 HD features?

Thanks for your help!

4GB of RAM should be fine for editing HD footage, but it's probably the bare minimum needed to run the top end editing software.

I would be (very) surprised if there was a 6 or 8 GB upgrade for the Mac Mini, but I don't actually know so am in no place to comment. 4GB should serve you fine...

The 2009 Mac Minis can take up to 8GB of 1066 MHz DDR3 SDRAM, but only 4GB is supported by Apple. 8GB is better than 4GB obviously, but a lot more expensive and may void your warranty if not officially supported by Apple. 4GB will be a humungous improvement over what you have now though, and is a very worthwhile upgrade.

Hey, thanks for the replies. It's reassuring to know 4GB will do the job.

I don't really care about the warranty, because I don't have one (or I do and I didn't look into it). I recently found this:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_Mac_mini/DDR3

According to them, 8GB is possible? Cool! It won't kill my Mac, will it? I also use a 400GB External Hard Drive to store the HD footage. $113 is a very affordable option for me, rather than getting a pimped out G4 or iMac...so I guess what I'm asking now -- is it safe?

I was using iMovie HD before -- but then I got Final Cut Studio( only using Final Cut, Compressor, DVD Studio, and Soundtrack Pro)... and it's now worse in the lag department. If 8GB is "unstable," I may opt for 6GB instead. Let me know what I should do. And thanks again for the replies.

Oh, one more thing -- is the DIY process the ONLY way to upgrade RAM or is there a service from Apple that can do that for me instead...?

Last edited:
Back