• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Self taught composers

Is it possible to self teach yourself music composition? I would take a degree course in music composition but don't have time as i'm doing a games design course but want to be able to compose music for my games efficiently and professionally and even though I done quite a few modules on sound engineering in my college i feel i need to do more. I wouldn't mind knowing how you guys started out?

Hans Zimmer is 100% self taught.

Raised and educated mainly in England, he has no formal musical education; he says the most he ever got was about "two weeks of piano lessons." Nevertheless, he took an early interest in electronic musical synthesizers in the 1970s, when these were large, bulky analog devices programmed usually by means of patch cords and individual oscillator settings.

Real musicians have it in their blood. They hear something in their head and they just play it. They don't have to go to the Musician's Institute to do it.

Conversely: a real musician, although technically skilled, may not full understand or appreciate the musical theory behind his work.

It is possible to separate musical chops and musical knowledge.
The two can grow together quite naturally.
But with all of the kids I've seen today, who are quite naturally talented, most of them do not fully understand the theory behind what they are playing.
From a purely composition standpoint, this can be frustrating when you lack the instrument to 'feel out' the song. I have always striven to be able to write purely out of my noggin.

I agree that with the aid of the internet and some discipline, you can learn pretty much anything these days.
Although I've taken composition classes, most of my knowledge comes from reading theory books and/or discussing it with peers.

So: go out and learn some music.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, either.

Hans Zimmer is 100% self taught.
Thank you. So were Van Halen and Hendrix. Sure they might have studied a little here or there just so that they finally know the name of that strange cord that they have been playing, but they're born with it. There are those who play by ear automatically and there are those who have to go to school.

People who come out of the Musician's Institute always wind up being so wrapped up in their technical learning that they miss the mark, they OVER play the song, etc.

Real musicians have it in their blood. They hear something in their head and they just play it. They don't have to go to the Musician's Institute to do it.

People have aptitudes towards different things, it's true, but music is not something you "have in your blood". Neither is filmmaking or any other art.

It's all about work. No one is history just "had it in their blood", that's just an excuse. What you never see in movies or in the success stories is all the work it took to acquire those skills. It generally only takes some interest to get started. Those people you mentioned earlier, or any good musician trained at a music school or not, sure as hell worked to get where they were.

To the Op, if you want to learn music, this is one of the best things you could possibly do as a filmmaker, but you shouldn't go to music school. I've been to music school, and I can say that it's a great place if you want to be a music teacher. If you want to learn music, then you could take piano lessons, and tell the teacher your requirements clearly- that you want to understand the music as well as play it. Or you could study by yourself, but I would suggest you start with piano since it is relatively simple. As a filmmaker, once you understand music, you will appreciate good film music so much more.

Always strive to learn more.

-Michael

Is it possible to self teach yourself music composition?
Of course it is, I'm doing it myself, writing prog music, metal, acoustic and film soundtracks.
It's just a matter of doing it as often as you can in order to improve, I mean, everything I write is sent to someone so I know what's good and what needs improving.
Give it a shot, send people your stuff and work on it from there

Frank Zappa did. Frank learned music theory and composition at the public library.

His score sheets, all hand written, are works of art to behold. Incredibly detailed, and incredibly neat.

So, yes, a person can teach themselves composition. But why not focus on what you are passionate about and ask someone who's passion is music composition to compose for your game?

Is it possible to self teach yourself music composition? I would take a degree course in music composition but don't have time as i'm doing a games design course but want to be able to compose music for my games efficiently and professionally and even though I done quite a few modules on sound engineering in my college i feel i need to do more. I wouldn't mind knowing how you guys started out?

... recording yourself hitting a random object like you would a drum can sometimes get you the sound you want once you've edited the sound then investing in percussion instruments

Thats pretty much how I started out. I used to hit everthing, radiators, baths, barrells, pots and pans, all because I couldn't afford proper percussive instruments. And I'd like to think taking that approach has shaped my music style somewhat.

Being self-taught can have its advantages. I can't compare it being formally trained but having to learn by yourself can produce some quite individual stuff. If you want to sound like John Williams or James Horner, then a proper education is needed but I'm convinced a career making unconventional scores can also be achieved (I hope).

Back