Indent in body effect

Hi everyone!
I am thinking about doing a short film that would require the chest of an actor to appear to have a circular ~2 inch indent. (So instead of a normal flat chest, about half a softball of emptiness.) I am not CG savvy and haven't figured out a green screen method to make this work. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Edit: Would painting green on the chest and layering in a photoshoped indent picture be the best method?

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
I am thinking about doing a short film that would require the chest of an actor to appear to have a circular ~2 inch indent. (So instead of a normal flat chest, about half a softball of emptiness.) I am not CG savvy and haven't figured out a green screen method to make this work. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!

Edit: Would painting green on the chest and layering in a photoshoped indent picture be the best method?

You could try getting some Mortician's Wax (nose and scar wax), and create the indent that way. As long as you know how to blend the wax and makeup well, it could work. But that's a lot of wax.

You need it how deep? Half a softball? So about two inches deep? Hmmm...wax may not work for that. And CG would be really hard to match if you don't know how to track or rotoscope. If you know how to track and such, you could put a perfectly round green screen cutout on the person chest...then comp that in AfterFX and whatever CG program you use.

If you wouldn't mind going more shallow...you can use wax or latex. There's stuff called 'Dragons Skin' which is a two-part combo you mix together (silicon based) which allows for some pretty raised effects.

Or you built a chest mold, you could create an indent that way also.

If you don't have a good CG guy, you'll have to go practical. Either through a mold, Morticians Wax, or a slow layering of silicon (Dragon's Skin).

Back