Workshops/courses - waste of time and money?

Any opinions on this?
Many of them seem very expensive and I am not sure if they are worth the money. For example, a weekend at NY film institute is $600. Three weeks is $3000. I have come across one that is free in New York but its an advertisement for their product.

Has anyone attended these classes that could share their experiences?

Meanwhile I have emailed anyone in the local area that works in some form of filmmaking that might be willing to open doors for a volunteer.

I'm no expert and have never taken any courses on topic but courses are simply what you put into them. Success comes from daily life experience and is not something you absorb from a few days in a classroom. You may get a few good tips or be directed to a useful tool. However, most of the time you can find these on your own with a little research(for free). You have to apply your craft and learn from the daily obstacles you experience. Unless it's a technical aspect(software or hardware issue), you need to find a process that works for you. Plan, apply and review........this works for almost all forms of business, art or whatever.

I've sent employees to software training many times. The ones that succeed are the ones that rely on their own problem solving skills and ambition.

There's nothing that you're gonna get from a seminar like that, that you can't pick up in a book that covers the topics they're talking about for hundreds of dollars cheaper.

You just have to be self-sufficient, willing to learn, and ready to apply what you learned.

Myself, personally, I'm a go-getter. I'll take the same money someone would spend on a seminar and buy myself books that cover the same topics, and spend the rest of the money on equipment and things. I'd also spend the time I would be at the seminar writing my scripts.

It's all about what type of person you are -- some people need the motivation and learning that comes from hearing a speaker, and attending seminars. I see those things as more of kicks in the butt to get you going.

Thanks guys!
I think you are completely correct. I have been wondering about classrooms to get the jist of things and what to do. However I also know that I am one to learn on the job from my mistakes.
I guess what I wanted to learn was how to put it all together so I think for now I am going to fool around and learn what I can on my own. As time passes I can take a class on what I think I need to take a class for.

I had great success in Rockport Maine, at the Maine Media Workshops. I was a student there, a course manager and I'll probably teach at some time. Check out their 7 week workstudy. I took it about 10 years ago... And the friends I made still work with me in Los Angeles.

It's not the seminar/course, it's the speaker/instructor. I took a Pro Tools course quite a few years ago and the instructor was stellar, dropping lots of real life experience. I've been to seminars that were a waste of time and others that definitely made me think or informed me. So check out the instructor or speaker and decide if it's worth your time and money.

It's not the seminar/course, it's the speaker/instructor. I took a Pro Tools course quite a few years ago and the instructor was stellar, dropping lots of real life experience. I've been to seminars that were a waste of time and others that definitely made me think or informed me. So check out the instructor or speaker and decide if it's worth your time and money.

QFT.

Back