Troubles with Adobe Premiere Pro

(i'm not a registered adobe member so ill post here)

I started making a movie in adobe premiere pro 2.0... it was about 15 minutes, and then my hard drive with windows crashed, so i installed it on another hard drive and everything was fine. except my move. the picture was "choppy", but the sound was right. So i installed CS3, and i kept getting the message that my memory was running low and so on, and after a few seconds the program crashed. i tried to render the movie, and it worked, it looked good. but if i want to edit in the middle of the project, the new pert will be choppy, and i will have to render the whole thing to see if it looks good. i will have to render after each little change.
this sucks, because it is the best movie ever :P

if i try to make a new project, its the same. always choppy.

Probably either a codec issue, or a bandwidth issue -- what format of video are you working with?

If it's uncompressed video most computers don't have the bandwidth necessary to play it back smoothly...

If it's not a codec issue, you're probably using a hard drive that can't keep up with the speed required for playback during editing. 7200rpm or higher is necessary, and USB is not acceptable.. Firewire, ok.. IDE, ok, SATA even better..

Ultimately though, there's no way to know whether it's an issue with your computer, an issue with the video, or an issue with Premiere... but since you said you're not a registered adobe user, that may well be the problem, pirated software is often buggy. ;)

I am using avi-files from my little canon powershot a630

The thing is: before my hard drive crashed, the program was running really smooth and i never got messages about low memory, and now, with a new and better hard drive, i have this problem.
my bf checked the codec stuff and said that it had nothing to do with that... :S

i saw that i was using a tryout version.. does that change anything?

it shouldnt have anything to with the tryout version, i use the tryout version and it works fine. you might just have a slow computer that cant handle the processing that is involved with video editing, do you have a good processor? There are also some codec's that are better suited for video editing, ive heard using AVI-DV seams to word better then others, thats what i use and it works great. there's free software you can download called SUPER that will convert your video to AVI-DV.

If she is using the same computer with a different hard drive, then it has nothing to do with the speed of the computer. She says everything was working fine before the crash.

Check your video drivers. If you have a new Windows installation with standard VGA loaded or an earlier revision, your 2D acceleration may not be enabled such that it's running software rendering. Do a CTRL-ALT-DEL and pull up the Task Manager / Performance tab. Watch your CPU utilization during the playback.

Another thing, do you have a red line over your footage? If so, you need to render your workspace. If you've made any changes and have not rendered your workspace, it's definitely running real-time software rendering, and a slow system will make it choppy.

Last edited:
Thank you for the answers.. but nothing is working :(
if i try making a new project, its still choppy. and i thought the whole thing had something to do with the files being on an external hard drive, but i tried importing from my other hard drives and i still had the same problem. so i suppose that my premiere is broken :( and i should buy it...

Back