FILMMAKING QUESTIONS

Hi, i am planning on making a low budget El Mariachi like feature film. i need to know how much does 6000ft of 35mm film cost, i also need to know where i can basic cinematography skills (so i can be my DP) in the seattle area. aside from that i got everything priced out (ex homemade dolly, actors, processing, direct video transfer, the works)

If you have the answers to my questions respond ASAP!!

thank you for your time!

~Salvador N Sahagun.

Hi, i am planning on making a low budget El Mariachi like feature film.

Good ambition. But please understand Robert Rodriguez shot dozens of video shorts before he made El Mariachi, and knew a ton about filmmaking, or more importantly, what he needed to do in order to pull off a film on no budget. He shot on 16mm MOS (without sound), because a noisy MOS 16mm Arri with lenses was all he could get. You may be more fortunate, but I doubt you will get a better camera for free, especially not a 16mm camera.

I would strongly suggest you use high definition or 16mm (super 16 is fine too if you have the extra budget) for your picture.

i need to know how much does 6000ft of 35mm film cost (...please... sic),

Call Kodak or Fuji and ask them directly. If you explain your situation you may be able to get a discount, too.

i also need to know where i can basic cinematography skills (so i can be my DP) in the seattle area.

Seattle Film Institute? (I don't know anything about it but it sounds real official).

Seriously, if you started right now and shot video every day chances are you would not be ready to DP a 35mm feature for 5 years. Theres a lot to learn. Its not hard, but when you're talking 35mm you're talking some serious money flowing through a camera.

aside from that i got everything priced out (ex homemade dolly, actors, processing, direct video transfer, the works)
You might want to make sure everything you have home built can withstand the weight of a fully loaded 35mm camera (30-60lbs), plus operator if you've designed it to have the op riding on it.

I know Seattle OK, I just shot a short over there and I've had film work done at Alpha Cine and Forde Labs (which have now merged). They're good people to work with. Victory is also in town, as well as a couple of other places, just make sure... if you shoot on 35mm you're going to want a quality transfer, better than a rank, like a davinci spirit or equivelent.

If you have the answers to my questions respond ASAP (please sic)!!

thank you for your time!

~Salvador N Sahagun.

Good ambition. But please understand Robert Rodriguez shot dozens of video shorts before he made El Mariachi, and knew a ton about filmmaking, or more importantly, what he needed to do in order to pull off a film on no budget. He shot on 16mm MOS (without sound), because a noisy MOS 16mm Arri with lenses was all he could get. You may be more fortunate, but I doubt you will get a better camera for free, especially not a 16mm camera.

I would strongly suggest you use high definition or 16mm (super 16 is fine too if you have the extra budget) for your picture.

Call Kodak or Fuji and ask them directly. If you explain your situation you may be able to get a discount, too.

Seattle Film Institute? (I don't know anything about it but it sounds real official).

Seriously, if you started right now and shot video every day chances are you would not be ready to DP a 35mm feature for 5 years. Theres a lot to learn. Its not hard, but when you're talking 35mm you're talking some serious money flowing through a camera.

You might want to make sure everything you have home built can withstand the weight of a fully loaded 35mm camera (30-60lbs), plus operator if you've designed it to have the op riding on it.

I know Seattle OK, I just shot a short over there and I've had film work done at Alpha Cine and Forde Labs (which have now merged). They're good people to work with. Victory is also in town, as well as a couple of other places, just make sure... if you shoot on 35mm you're going to want a quality transfer, better than a rank, like a davinci spirit or equivelent.
what if i shot 16mm. would i be ready? and also im shooting in Mexico, and my dads friends with the governer so i have no problem getting lisences!

what if i shot 16mm. would i be ready? and also im shooting in Mexico, and my dads friends with the governer so i have no problem getting lisences!

Thats like asking if I took a driving school whether I would be ready to race a car at the Daytona 500. The answer is, you don't just point a camera and push a button, there is a lot to learn, and a lot of experience needed to reinforce that knowledge before you could know enough to DP a feature on film. A lot. Its a craft, not an automated process. Any monkey can pick up a video camera, set it to automatic everything, and point it at the action. That is not cinema. Coincidentally, in the 60's millions of people shot 8mm and 16mm home movies that were properly exposed for. Those are not cinema, they are simply pointing a camera at the action. There is a huge difference.

Regarding the latter half of your statement, you might be careful making assumptions like that. The governor? Of what? Secondly, do you even speak Spanish? Third, where will your crew and cast come from and stay? Fourth, in Mexico, deals are made by greasing palms not at the government level.

Thats like asking if I took a driving school whether I would be ready to race a car at the Daytona 500. The answer is, you don't just point a camera and push a button, there is a lot to learn, and a lot of experience needed to reinforce that knowledge before you could know enough to DP a feature on film. A lot. Its a craft, not an automated process. Any monkey can pick up a video camera, set it to automatic everything, and point it at the action. That is not cinema. Coincidentally, in the 60's millions of people shot 8mm and 16mm home movies that were properly exposed for. Those are not cinema, they are simply pointing a camera at the action. There is a huge difference.

Regarding the latter half of your statement, you might be careful making assumptions like that. The governor? Of what? Secondly, do you even speak Spanish? Third, where will your crew and cast come from and stay? Fourth, in Mexico, deals are made by greasing palms not at the government level.
governer of the state of jalisco.
im shooting in spanish. ( i am mexican)
we have a house in puerto vallarta.
and i plan on going to the local actin school and since the people live there i dont need to house them jus meet every day at a certain location.
im signed up for sveral cinematography classes
my buget is 25k
so how do u recomend i go about this?
digital or film?
16 or 35?
hire a DP?
Where can i get one in mexico?
im really glad your helping me so much and i can not tell u how much i appreciate your wisdom.

~Salvador N Sahagun

governer of the state of jalisco.
so how do u recomend i go about this?
digital or film?
16 or 35?
hire a DP?
Where can i get one in mexico?
I recommend you slow down. No need to make that movie right away.
You should shoot digital.
You should hire a DP
Mexico City has a thriving film community. Contact the Mexico Film Commission for crew contacts.

Awesome!

I agree with a lot of these folks. Slow down. There is nothing wrong with ambition - but in addition to making the movie, I would also suggest having a plan on how you might recoup the investment. 25K is not a lot of money, but then again, it could pay someone's mortgage for a year.

1. For your camera and crew related questions: Consider skipping 35mm and finding a DP who owns the Red Camera. In addition to having equipment, he or she will probably have a relationship with a few key crew people too.

2. Start using a video camera today to make some simple shorts with your friends. Sounds like you'll need a crash course.

3. Hire an experienced AD and Line Producer to help create a schedule and budget and keep everything running smoothly.

4. When the script is solid (is your script solid?) get very specific about your shot list.

5. Get lots of sleep.

removed link

Back