NJFILMCORE
Genre:
Comedy
Length:
Feature

http://www.myroomiethebagel.com

Score:
3.5/5

This film has it all: snap bracelets, pogs, talking bagels, rapping dogs, singing robots...and 50 Cent. Well, it's only a picture of 50 Cent with someone else doing voice-over, but still...

"My Roomie the Bagel" is one of the goofiest things I've seen in a while. And I watch a lot of stuff on YouTube. In fact, this film has the distinct feel of an internet short despite its running time of nearly an hour. There is a lot of on-screen text sprinkled throughout, for instance. I would not be surprised to learn that it was the expansion of an idea that started as a viral video.

The production quality is good...the shots are simply framed and lit, and the sound is clear. The editing is conventional, but sharp. You can tell it was made on a tiny budget, but it's well-executed and without obvious flaws.

Sean Favre plays the main character, a "confederate rebel" that reminded me of a cross between David Koechner's T-Bones and Will Ferrell's Harry Caray. The character is lovable and funny, and surely the driving force of the film. His counterpart is a talking bagel, which ironically is the straight-line half of this comic duo.

I really liked the music, which is credited to MC Lars. The theme song is especially catchy, getting stuck in my head days after my viewing of this film. There is also some very solid drumming in the background music over which Favre gives the opening monologue.

When sitting down to write the script for "My Roomie the Bagel," whoever was involved must have set out to create the most completely absurd storyline possible. And for good measure they threw in a truckload of ridiculous popular references. This film is quite deliberately and unapologetically the opposite of high culture, and for that reason you will most likely either hate it or love it.

I felt brain cells dying as I watched it. Afterward, strangely, I had to re-learn how to brush my teeth. But in a way I'm glad...and thankful to the guys at NJFILMCORE for creating something so outrageous, and oddly enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back