HDV?DV?4:3?16:9?

Hi All,

I have a Sony HVRA1P I just watched some footage I shot, the footage came out a little funny so I changed the TV to 4:3 and it was fine I checked the camera setting and sure enough it was set to 4:3. I tried to change it to 16:9 however it wouldn't let me until I changed from HDV to DV.

My question is this will it still be recording in High Def? What is the difference between HDV and HD?

As you will gather I am very new to this so this would sound to most a very basic question however what I am shooting can not be recaptured so it's important I get it right the first time around

thank you in advance

Hi All,

I have a Sony HVRA1P I just watched some footage I shot, the footage came out a little funny so I changed the TV to 4:3 and it was fine I checked the camera setting and sure enough it was set to 4:3. I tried to change it to 16:9 however it wouldn't let me until I changed from HDV to DV.

My question is this will it still be recording in High Def? What is the difference between HDV and HD?

As you will gather I am very new to this so this would sound to most a very basic question however what I am shooting can not be recaptured so it's important I get it right the first time around

thank you in advance
opps I ment,
My question is this will it still be recording in High Def? What is the difference between HDV and DV?

HD/HDV is always 16x9. It's either 1280x720 or 1920(displayed)x1080, which if you divide the numbers, are always 1.78 to 1, aka 16x9.

The difference between HDV and DV is very basic. DV is always 720x480 (NTSC) or 720x576 (PAL) at a frame rate of 29.97 frames per second, even the "24P" cameras record 24 frames per second into a 29.97 format.

HDV is an MPEG2 based compression of HD formats onto mini DV tape. So you are getting one of the two HD frame sizes of 1280x720 or 1920x1080, but it is in a very compressed format on the same tape as DV. Depending on the camera, it will look vastly sharper than standard definition (SD) tape on DV, especially on the HD monitors like LCD and plasma screens.

Now there are some technical things going on, like the aforementioned compression, plus the pixels may be recording at 1440x1080, but squeezing it to look like 1920x1080. It's all techno-mumbo jumbo to a point, but important to have at least a basic understanding of, just so you can make some educated decisions.

Back