Are seminars worth it

There haven't been a lot of these around here but I really want to get into the film business and make the kind of movies I'd like to see.

I want to know if you guys think it's worth going or not. It doesn't seem too expensive but if it's a waste of time I'd rather save the money.

I've been to some really good ones and I've been to some which were just fair. It depends on what they are teaching and how good the host is at delivering their message. I feel they can be great places to network and as long as you take notes you should get some great info. But watch out for the networking aspect because I've seen people just clam up and not reach out to others at these seminars which is a shame. So be sure to be the person who reaches out to them.

Also note; one of the most boring speakers I've seen had the most valuable information I've ever witnessed so do keep that in mind.

I've been to some really good ones and I've been to some which were just fair. It depends on what they are teaching and how good the host is at delivering their message. I feel they can be great places to network and as long as you take notes you should get some great info. But watch out for the networking aspect because I've seen people just clam up and not reach out to others at these seminars which is a shame. So be sure to be the person who reaches out to them.

Also note; one of the most boring speakers I've seen had the most valuable information I've ever witnessed so do keep that in mind.

I agree 100%. It's also important to actually participate if there's a Q&A session.

I read of someone (Who shall remain nameless) put on a seminar for actors. You know what he acted in? Two short films and directed his own feature length? Do you think that qualifies him to be teaching a seminar on acting. All I am saying is there are good ones out there and then there are terrible ones out there. So do your research.

Thanks. I guess I'll learn something either way. I'll learn film making or learn to void seminars. The video on his site looks ok. He's made some movies so I guess he knows more than me. I'll be sure to ask lots of questions. Thanks again everybody.

Back