• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

color grading a feature

Since there's so much discussion lately about color grading - or maybe I'm just noticing it more now that I'm doing it myself - I wanted to gather opinions about something.

I have seen feature films where the whole movie has been graded the same, and I've also seen films where the grading reflects the emotional content of a scene or sequence. I'm not talking about special cases, such as Soderbergh's movie Traffic, where the color grade is designed to separate the scenes (geographically in that example) or delineate flashbacks to another time period.

Do you feel that one school of thought is better than the other, or is it simply a stylistic choice, with both techniques sharing equal validity?

I think it depends on the film. But I'm a fan of making shots in a sequence look like they belong together (true color correction) and then giving the film an overall 'look' through secondary color grading. However, in some instances it might be worthwhile to mix looks.

I just finished grading a promo/informational video and it's got several different looks.. Some warmer, some cooler, mostly it was whatever fit the overall color palette of the location, since we didn't have the ability to change things that much to control colors and whatnot.

While there is an art to creating a story, there is a fine art to following the story. I color grade last so I can follow moods as well as lead them. I try not to force anything based on plans made before hand. That's a handicap some cannot mend.

Plan as ya may, sometimes life happens. Its magical when a project evolves into something bigger and better and that is often resulted from allowing it to... not trying to force it to. Color grading and sound design may have been planned before hand but more often than not, I accentuate what has actually happened in these stages, rather than sticking to what was planned. I can darken a mood, brighten a vibe, and lead the viewer here. I like that but I try to let go of my ego enough to watch and listen... and follow if I should.

Thank you all for your interesting comments. Makes me feel a little better about what I'm doing.

Because it's a horror movie I had intended to grade my images toward a bluish palette. But one of the principal interior locations was very heavily decorated in reddish tones. Since that particular setting is supposed to have a dark past that is important to the story, I decided to go more sepia with those scenes in order to give the place an "old time" feel, compared to everything else -- the bluish "modern" world. I was afraid this might just end up being distracting, but it sounds like you all are thinking it's probably okay...?

Toss is some scratches and lint.. add a pinch of ragtime piano...
and you'll have yerself a nice little slice of cliche pie! (If I tried it thats how it'd be.. )

How about desaturating the reds, pushing the teal up and flesh tones down, ala TERMINATOR 4!

(Its only because of the anonmity of the internet that I even SUGEST that I know ANYTHING about this, which I assure you, in real life, I have no frackin idea!)

Last edited:
Toss is some scratches and lint.. add a pinch of ragtime piano...
and you'll have yerself a nice little slice of cliche pie! (If I tried it thats how it'd be.. )

I know you're kidding, but I'm not really looking for an "old film" look, per se - it's still present day - just a warmer, more nostalgic feel, partly to lull the viewer into a false sense of security before all hell breaks loose.

How about desaturating the reds, pushing the teal up and flesh tones down, ala TERMINATOR 4!

I love that look (haven't seen the movie, but I did see the color grading tutorial that talked about it). However, to me that look has an urban, hi-tech feel to it. My movie is set in Astoria, which - as you know - is about as far from urban, hi-tech as you can get! :yes: I'm more trying to suggest water and history, as both are big themes in this piece; hence the blue/sepia combo.

I know you're kidding, but I'm not really looking for an "old film" look, per se - it's still present day - just a warmer, more nostalgic feel, partly to lull the viewer into a false sense of security before all hell breaks loose.

I love that look (haven't seen the movie, but I did see the color grading tutorial that talked about it). However, to me that look has an urban, hi-tech feel to it. My movie is set in Astoria, which - as you know - is about as far from urban, hi-tech as you can get! :yes: I'm more trying to suggest water and history, as both are big themes in this piece; hence the blue/sepia combo.

Im glad you took the joke as intended.. always a risk, something my wife says I need to work on!

Do you have a couple still to share, showing the different looks?.. for my edumacation..

Back