Homemade mud recipe?

Know of a good homemade mud or dirt recipe? I need to dirty up a girl's face to make it appear as if she has not showered and lived in the woods for a couple days.

Why home made? It would most likely be easier to use makeup. The only homemade method I can think of is dirt & water.. or in otherwords, uh.. real mud.

But, you could get yourself some Mehron Trail Dust or Texas Dirt powder and have consistent results regardless of your shooting schedule. (look here)

I'd be willing to bet you could also get yourself a makeup artist if you post on craigslist and/or mandy.com... no reason to skip it, when you can get proper make up for relatively cheap.

Try visiting your local magic/prank/Halloween/costume-rental store.

If they're the type to carry Ben Nye (or similar kinds of) makeups, you're probably in luck. If you're even luckier, they'll have someone in the store to show you how to use it.

You can choose between "liquid dirt" stuff, or powders. There's also a range of dirt-coloured makeup solids that can be applied with a scratchy-type sponge (forgot the name of it - it resembles more of a brillo scouring pad, than a sponge)

The prices might seem a bit high, but the products will last a looooong time.

As far as home-made... got a backyard, shovel and tap? :blush:

Back