beachtek adaptor or cable?

Im thinking of getting a mic like the Audio Technica AT897 (I think thats the code) and found out that I should be able to connect it to my camcorder through a beachtk adaptor or a cable, right? Which one is better? (Ill probably want to extend it on a boompole). What about cables to lengthen the distance the mic can go? Good idea? suggestions? Any other suggestions for mics sililar to this one?. My camera has a standard mic input, i believe, the one that looks like a headphone output. Is this mic good for indoors? Ill probABLY do a little shooting outdoors, but it looks like indoors will be more dominant for now.. Any suggestions for a similar mic for indoor use? Thanks!

This is a great mic. I got it in my mail just over a week ago. I've done many tests with it, and the crispness of the sound keeps surprising me. It's an amazing microphone for the price. My only gripe with it, is the cheap windscreen that comes with it. It's completely useless! I'm going to build a mic blimp soon enough though. From the testing I've done, and the reviews I read, the AT897 is one of the best microphones for this price range.

I don't have a beachtek. I use an XLR to mini converter cable. I cannot complain at all. The cable does what it's supposed to do. No problems. No interference. Everything's perfect. My only gripe with this set up, is that i cannot control the microphone volume settings at all. If you don't have manual volume controls on your camera, you might pick up unwanted sounds, simply because of how sensitive this microphone is. It's nothing killer though, and nothing that would put a dent in your dialogue. I really haven't gotten to the point where I need a beachtek, and I doubt I'm ever going to buy one. Though if you're OCD about your sound, want two XLR ins, and full control over your audio on the set, a beachtek is he way to go.

For the cable: Any monster XLR cable will do. A 20 foot cable will go for 10 bucks on ebay. Or you can go to any music store and buy yourself some cable. Buy as much as you'll ever need. It would really suck if you were on set, and realized that you don't have enough cable length to do the shot you want. Excess cable can be annoying, but it would pay off in the long run.

My only gripe with it, is the cheap windscreen that comes with it. It's completely useless! I'm going to build a mic blimp soon enough though. From the testing I've done, and the reviews I read, the AT897 is one of the best microphones for this price range.
that windscreen is for indoor use only...a Zeplin is always needed for outdoors..unless there is no wind...

You are also going to need a tube amp of some kind as this mic produces a significant amount of audio hiss without one.
this is more than likely due to the poor preamps in video cameras...they werent made for sound....

the beachtek would be a good idea to anyone wanting to do better sound...even with a phantom power supply to the mic...you are going to want to control the level...and the his is your cameras auto level trying to boost the level..and doing a very poor job of it.....

hope this helps

Back