Low Budget Lessons

Having just spent July making a feature film on a production budget of $7000, I figured I'd do my best to impart a few pieces of wisdom that I've picked up along the way.

Keep to a single location for as long as possible- This wasn't because of the obvious expenditure issues. We filmed in a whole bunch of different locations and it worked out that only one of those locations we actually had to pay money for (a very smart restaurant in Central London and, even that, only cost £115). The reason why I'd be inclined to stick to a single (albeit visually variable) location in future is a matter of convenience for cast and crew. We also ended up shelling out quite a lot of money getting the gear back and forth between locations. On certain days I would've liked to have been able to get a few more pick-ups at certain places but as it was, in order to do that, we would've had to have moved all the equipment back to that location. It's just a pain in the neck when you're working with a small crew. If you can keep things to, roughly, a single location, then you'll find it much easier to organise the whole shoot. Addendum: At the same time, it's important to stress the role that locations play in the production design and scope of your movie. The more locations, the bigger and more impressive the production feels. If you are shooting on a single location, try and ensure that has visual variety- there are a number of different interiors you can you, there is more than one exterior that you can use, there is a feature that is unusual and interesting...etc.

Make sure you know where people are travelling from- When I was working out how much to budget for expenses, I figured that £10 per day would cover most people, given that that's more than the cost of a travel card for public transport in London. It wasn't until midway through the shoot that I found out that one of my actors had been travelling from a couple of hours away each day and that his expenses would come to £50 per day. I don't think it was amazing form on his part, given that his online casting profile listed him as being based in London, but it's always good to check that sort of thing in advance because that turned out being 5x what I expected to be paying, every day that he was on set. I know that it's kind of churlish of me to complain about this when I'm only paying them their travel expenses, but it affected the way that I budgeted the movie.

Everyone stop for lunch- I've been on sets where lunch was staggered so that some people could be setting up whilst other people grabbed something to eat. I'm sure that, when you have a big crew, this is the most time effective way of doing things (and we used it on occasions) but I found that breaking, for about 30 minutes, to get something to eat meant that everyone was in a much better mood for shooting in the afternoon. It also meant that, with a small cast and crew, it was easier for people to build a professional rapport. The actors and the crew all eat and drink together and that, I found, made things more harmonious in the afternoon. Plus, by the end of the morning session people start to get a little tetchy and frustrated and a nice, laid-back lunch solves a lot of those issues. Addendum: Don't wait too long to stop for lunch (although finish what you're doing, don't break mid-scene) as people will start to run out of energy. A bit of food in the belly will help to reenergise your cast and crew.

Pick up your phone (with caveats)- Yes, this is something I learnt the hard way. I'm not an amazing phone person and I'd much rather use email wherever possible. As a result, I always have my phone on silent and quite often don't have it on my person. This is not an amazing idea, as either the director or the producer. It's good to take calls. BUT, if you're ever working on a film as either an actor or a crew member (or indeed, producing) it's much better to have people email you their arrangements, so that you have a permanent and accessible record of what's happening. On occasion I found that I had a conversation with someone in why they said 'I can only do so or so time on so or so days...' but that, a little bit later, I was having to email them again so that I could put the details in the schedule. It makes it easier for everyone if you can send that sort of information in writing.

Have LOTS of copies of the script on-set- It's remarkable how often you'll need to check something in the script. Because my printer is faulty and I, somehow, didn't find the time to go to a professional printer, I never had a complete printed copy of the script. Some of the actors brought these with them and I had the whole thing on my iPad. If I were doing it again then I would make sure that there are a bunch of scripts on set for each day, perhaps isolating the pages from those scene. It's good to make sure that sound and camera departments each have their own copies of the script so that they don't waste time asking other people to tell them certain things about the scene. It's also important to have someone in the room who's got the script in front of them at all times. Sometimes an actor will do a near perfect take but will need a little prompt, if you're having to search around for the script then it's going to ruin everyone's rhythm.

Extra bodies will only slow things down- I had a lot of friends who were, in their words, interested in 'helping out if you need anyone doing odd jobs'. The reason that we kept the crew as small as possible (in addition to the cost thing) was so that it was easy to get stuff done on time. You're making a low budget film with only a small(ish) light kit, so do you really need your DoP, gaffer and grips to move those lights? Do you really need two PAs to make coffee? Do you really need a 2nd AC just to do the slate? Do you need a 1st AD to keep you on schedule? These are all great things, no doubt, but they a.) cost a bunch of money and b.) will take up valuable time on set. Getting round this problem leads me to...

Don't be afraid to do things that you think are 'below your station'- Yes, I was the director but I also made the tea, did the slating, cleared the set in between takes. Could I have got someone to do these jobs? Probably, but what a waste of their time, not to mention my time and money. It's hardly a huge extra burden for the director to pop the kettle on and make five mugs of tea. I sometimes get the feeling that directors feel that cast and crew won't respect them if they do any jobs that aren't traditionally within the purview of the director. I really think that if you're making a low budget film and you're passionate about getting that made without wasting people's money, then you shouldn't be afraid to get your hands dirty. When the film is on the big screen, no one will know who slated the movie or laid out the food for lunch. All you'll do is save time and money on the set which is a very important thing in low budget filmmaking.

Keep the camera moving- This might seem like a decision that your DoP needs to make, in conjunction with the director, of course. However, keeping the camera moving serves both a practical and artistic purpose on your low budget level. Practically speaking, the reason why a lot of indie films do this (in addition to the obvious fact that it is much, much quicker to go handheld) is because the slight movement of the picture will force your audience to try and focus on the most important thing in the frame (usually the actor). Because they are actively focusing on this, the rest of the scene is relegated to the periphery of their vision which helps enormously when you don't have stacks of money to spend on production design. The production value of your movie will increase if you don't allow your audience to explore the frame in too much detail- and keeping the picture moving at all times (beyond the clear aesthetic reason) will help you accomplish this.

I might add a few more points to this at a later date. These were just a few things that struck me.

Last edited:
Agree with a lot of these, Nick.

Two things:

1. Locations - this is just going to depend on your script. IMO, yeah it's hard to manage locations on a low budget, but several locations and great locations are one of the things that separate a very obvious indie/no budget production from something that feels like a bit more than that.

But, yeah, it's hard to deal with!

2. I didn't know you were doing a feature. I thought this was a short. How long do you expect it to be?

Extra bodies will only slow things down- I had a lot of friends who were, in their words, interested in 'helping out if you need anyone doing odd jobs'. The reason that we kept the crew as small as possible (in addition to the cost thing) was so that it was easy to get stuff done on time. You're making a low budget film with only a small(ish) light kit, so do you really need your DoP, gaffer and grips to move those lights? Do you really need two PAs to make coffee? Do you really need a 2nd AC just to do the slate? Do you need a 1st AD to keep you on schedule? These are all great things, no doubt, but they a.) cost a bunch of money and b.) will take up valuable time on set.
This is the only thing I disagree with.

When you have "bodies" without a specific task it can slow you down.
However, when you have people with specific jobs to do then it can
greatly speed up production. Yes, you really need grips to move lights
so your DP and gaffer can prep the next set up and not have to move
equipment. No, you don't need two PA's making coffee, but having a
dedicated PA dealing only with the craft service issues is a major time
saver. Yes you need an AC to do the slate. Hell yes you need a first to
keep you on schedule. Until you work with an experienced, talented,
dedicated first you may have no understand of how much time they
can save a production. These are more than just "great things" they
are essential to the smooth running of a set - especially a low budget
set. But each person doing these things must be dedicated to doing
those jobs and not just "bodies" willing to help out.

When the director is doing those jobs that takes the director away
from directing - and that slows down the shoot. I never see it as "below
my station" I see my job as motivating the crew to work to their fullest
and the actors have a save, creative environment in which to work. I
would never leave the set to make tea. Not because that's "below" me,
but because I feel the need to work with the actors and crew to get the
shot. If I can get one more rehearsal or one more take rather than
stepping away to make tea I feel I am working to my fullest.

Other than that, an excellent post with some terrific tips.

Agree with a lot of these, Nick.

Two things:

1. Locations - this is just going to depend on your script. IMO, yeah it's hard to manage locations on a low budget, but several locations and great locations are one of the things that separate a very obvious indie/no budget production from something that feels like a bit more than that.

But, yeah, it's hard to deal with!

2. I didn't know you were doing a feature. I thought this was a short. How long do you expect it to be?

1.) I definitely agree with you on the location front and that's why we made the film with so many different locations. But changing locations every day was a pain in the ass and, when you're working off a pretty much zilch budget, it's better keep things all in one place.

If/when I shoot a second feature, I plan on doing in a Swedish farmhouse so that we have a relatively large and varied interior to use, as well as a lot of exterior landscape variety. Yes, I'd shoot occasionally at different locations but I really do think that keeping the bulk of your shooting to a single (visually varied) location is a massive help.

2.) Yep, it's a feature. I have a suspicion that it's going to get shorter and shorter in the edit. The idea was to keep it to under 90 mins including credits and titles, cos there's nothing that people find more boring than an indie film that goes on and on...

This is the only thing I disagree with.

When you have "bodies" without a specific task it can slow you down.
However, when you have people with specific jobs to do then it can
greatly speed up production. Yes, you really need grips to move lights
so your DP and gaffer can prep the next set up and not have to move
equipment. No, you don't need two PA's making coffee, but having a
dedicated PA dealing only with the craft service issues is a major time
saver. Yes you need an AC to do the slate. Hell yes you need a first to
keep you on schedule. Until you work with an experienced, talented,
dedicated first you may have no understand of how much time they
can save a production. These are more than just "great things" they
are essential to the smooth running of a set - especially a low budget
set. But each person doing these things must be dedicated to doing
those jobs and not just "bodies" willing to help out.

When the director is doing those jobs that takes the director away
from directing - and that slows down the shoot. I never see it as "below
my station" I see my job as motivating the crew to work to their fullest
and the actors have a save, creative environment in which to work. I
would never leave the set to make tea. Not because that's "below" me,
but because I feel the need to work with the actors and crew to get the
shot. If I can get one more rehearsal or one more take rather than
stepping away to make tea I feel I am working to my fullest.

Other than that, an excellent post with some terrific tips.

I had a suspicion that this would be the most contentious point but I stand by it. We were trying to make a feature film with a $7000 production budget. For all the corners that we managed to cut, we needed two things: 1.) to work quickly, 2.) to work cheaply.

On the days that we did have extra bodies there, yeah, they prepared lunch and got drinks and did some driving and stuff, but most of the time they were just sitting or standing around on set. Phil, as DoP, usually had a lighting set up which consisted of, in general, about three or four different lights. I think that he felt that if he'd had a gaffer on set then it would actually have taken him longer to communicate where he wanted the lights than it would to adjust them himself. Obviously this will vary from DP to DP and I thought, originally, that we were going to have to hire a gaffer. But it worked out that it really wasn't necessary. If he needed lights carried across the room then I was happy to help him out.

I should also add that when you're making sub $10,000 films, it's unrealistic to expect a large cast and crew. The most people we had on-set at any one time was, I think, 10 (6 actors, 4 crew) but generally it was about 5 (2 actors, 3 crew). When you're working at that sort of compact level then the less extraneous bodies you have in the room, the easier it is to work quickly and productively. And, hey, we managed to shoot a movie in 10 days, so I've got to assume it worked to an extent! And we didn't run out of money during production either!

But I agree that everyone has different ways of working and that some people wouldn't feel comfortable without working with a bigger crew. We'd have loved to have had a bigger crew but, for what it was, it made sense for us to double up on jobs, muck in and keep things ticking over quickly.

I had a suspicion that this would be the most contentious point but I stand by it. We were trying to make a feature film with a $7000 production budget. For all the corners that we managed to cut, we needed two things: 1.) to work quickly, 2.) to work cheaply.
I was not and am not trying to get you to change your mind or to
get you to back off your method. I’m ONLY expressing another opinion.

I have directed 12 features made for under $10,000 in under 10 days
and I have always used a crew of 10. Never once gone over budget
and 8 times came in under budget and under schedule. I have to assume
it worked to some extent.

You keep making your films with 3 or 4 crew! Don’t let me stop you.

I was not and am not trying to get you to change your mind or to
get you to back off your method. I’m ONLY expressing another opinion.

I have directed 12 features made for under $10,000 in under 10 days
and I have always used a crew of 10. Never once gone over budget
and 8 times came in under budget and under schedule. I have to assume
it worked to some extent.

You keep making your films with 3 or 4 crew! Don’t let me stop you.

No problem, just substantiating my earlier point.

I'd be really intrigued to see a budget breakdown for one of those features. Admittedly, our film's budget was £5000 ($7000) which is a bit under $10000, but I feel like we could hardly have done it any cheaper or quicker. Maybe this is just cos London's expensive? LA must be expensive too though. Were you paying any of the crew? With a ten man crew plus actors, I would've been hard pressed to even pay their travel expenses.

Another great resource for beginners wanting to start making short films but dont know how. Very generous of you as I know how busy you are.

I would add a couple of things.

1. Everyone breaking for lunch is just fine as Nick said but break early, not late. 3 to 4 hours into filming. Anything later and people have been hungry for too long. Instead of the food energizing them, it starts putting them into comas.

2. Having the number of people depends on two things. If the director is also working as producer, every extra person adds to time and mental exertion on the director's mind. But if the director is free and there is a producer on set, then have all the extra bodies you want. The producer can manage them and get things prepared in advance, saving time while the director is left alone to do his job.

Another great resource for beginners wanting to start making short films but dont know how. Very generous of you as I know how busy you are.

Agreed, nice thread.

I like the discussion about how much crew you really need. Nick has a crew of 3, some say 10 is better... thats quite the difference, are we talking about the same types of movies here? If so, what roles does Nick miss with his crew? Make-up? Gaffer? PA? AD? And yes, i would love to see more crew / schedule / budget breakdowns here, if you please :)

I recently watched some interviews with Gareth Edwards on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OmrwwaCto&feature=player_detailpage#t=87s

2. Having the number of people depends on two things. If the director is also working as producer, every extra person adds to time and mental exertion on the director's mind. But if the director is free and there is a producer on set, then have all the extra bodies you want. The producer can manage them and get things prepared in advance, saving time while the director is left alone to do his job.

Yes, this is probably a good point to clarify. Having an active, responsible producer on-set will change a lot of things and take a whole bunch of weight off the director's mind.

In a way, these lessons are applicable to you whether you're director, producer or director/producer. But certainly, if it's the latter, then the fewer plates your spinning on-set, the better.

I like the discussion about how much crew you really need. Nick has a crew of 3, some say 10 is better... thats quite the difference, are we talking about the same types of movies here? If so, what roles does Nick miss with his crew? Make-up? Gaffer? PA? AD? And yes, i would love to see more crew / schedule / budget breakdowns here, if you please :)

Make-up artist is the only thing I really wanted but could get for cheap enough. Normally I would use students from a make up school that is affiliated with a film school I know. They're very good at sending someone down for a couple of days for nothing more than travel expenses. Unfortunately, because we were shooting outside of term time, they couldn't put me in touch with anyone. When I advertised the position on a ten day shoot, the very best quote I got was £100 per day (which is a good deal), but when you've only for £5000 for a 10 day shoot, that means that you're spending a fifth of your budget on MU. With the benefit of hindsight, yes, I would have liked a dedicated MUA but, no, I couldn't have afforded it. Also, I think that the difference between the scene we shot as a promo for the film (with an MUA) will be hard to differentiate from the version of that scene we shot in the final film (without MUA). They obviously look great when they've been properly made up but it was a decision based on money, not aesthetics. Perhaps the most important lesson I've learnt is that you might have to make small sacrifices in order to finish your movie, but that's infinitely better and more impressive than trying to do everything perfectly and only half finishing it!

In terms of other on-set positions: I offered Phil a gaffer cos it's possible to get one in London for just expenses, but he didn't think he needed one. Having done the shoot, I would have to agree. The way that we worked meant that a gaffer would've been dead weight in the room for the majority of the time. Same with an AD. We did have a PA on a few of the days but, to be honest, they were just my friends and were there, predominantly, to keep my spirits up!

Great thread man!

Only big tweak in my experience sort of echos Directorik and Kholi. More people on set does help, but like you ran into they need to have a specific job AND work together congruently. I've worked together so much with our DP and he win out camera and grip/electrical dept that we communicate great. With just a few words my DP and I know what each over are thinking and justa. Few more word the entire team is working in union to get the job done.

We are cautious about new people on set though. We try to grow the team every shoot, but only by a 1-3 people at a time because like you said, too many new and/or inexperienced people on set clogs the works. Only a few at a time we can ease them in and it's way more enjoyable for everyone.

Can't wait to see the finished project!

I think that on Flight of the Flamingo, having only few people helped. More people would have just complicated as it was quite 'kick bullock and scramble' :)

On my film i directed and DP'd however, the crew of 15 or so helped out a lot. We worked a lot more efficiently together in a big crew!

Okay, I'm gonna be that weirdo who agrees with everybody. I think Paul and Ernest have found a happy medium between the two sides of the issue of how many people one should have on set.

Currently, I am in a position in which I must produce everything I direct. On top of that, I often have crew members who are filling positions that are far outside of their specialty (and mine). Out of necessity, I have to explain stuff to them. Eventually, you have to ask how efficient you're being by spending your time explaining stuff, when you could just do it yourself.

I CANNOT WAIT for the day when I will just be able to direct a movie, without having to make all the phone calls that a producer has to make. Without having to explain how a technical process works to the person who is supposed to be better at it than I am.

If you can hire people who know what the F they're doing, and who you can simply communicate a task for them to perform, without having to explain how they should perform it, then I think it is DEFINITELY better to have a bigger crew, as a general rule. But for those of us who still have to wear way more hats than we care to, yeah, small crew is efficient.

Locations -- There are plus and minuses. I would put this in the same category of size of cast. The more limited it is, the smaller the film feels, but that comes with a trade-off of easier shooting. It also comes with a trade-off of more difficult screenwriting. It may be easier to shoot a film in one location, but try writing one that is compelling. I don't think this one should be a rule, one way or another, just something to give serious consideration to.

By the way --
THE FOOTAGE IS GORGEOUS, AND THE CAST TERRIFIC!
:D

Back