• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch First Music Video

The opening scenes were boring and pointless almost made me want to turn off.

the opening guitar shot looks ridiculous and without being slated, slightly retarded.

at 1:16 around the time the beers transition to the guys drinking, there is weird flash thing, dunno what it is but didnt like it..

The camerawork is atrocious, However the look of the image is superb and suits the video very well.

The concept of the video is ok, it suits the song but perhaps needed more to it.

could you explain what you filmed it on and how you got the look and what made you decide on it?

Wow, quite a disrespectful, spiteful reply there.

I almost wished you had turned off, it seems you've entirely missed the point and visual style of the video.

I might answer those questions if somebody else decides to be decent when asking them.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and what you've just said.

Good luck with your video career my friend!

Wow, quite a disrespectful, spiteful reply there.

I almost wished you had turned off, it seems you've entirely missed the point and visual style of the video.

I might answer those questions if somebody else decides to be decent when asking them.

There's a difference between constructive criticism and what you've just said.

Good luck with your video career my friend!

I was just speaking my mind, i say what i see, I wasnt being disrespectful?

you stated that "Here's my first ever music video, i'm pretty proud of it and would appreciate it if you could take a look!"

I did and i spoke my mind, would you prefer I lied and said it was fantastic and that based on the results youl be a world famous director by next week?

the camera handling was shaky shaky shaky.

You lack the ability to take criticism, which is what i gave you, whether you took it as constructive or destructive is your problem, I was being honest.

btw when you meet professional people who slate your work, I hope you dont react the same way because this industry is full of a**holes.

as a note my videos are the greatest either they have their flaws and i look for the most honest people to be brutally honest about them, that way I can improve fourfold on my next video.

but keep your videos at the same level and lets see how professional you get.

Im doing just fine in my career excelling more than i thought, but were all different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x85_nbJegwI

Was it shot on 16mm? :P Do you have a link to vimeo as youtube compression is pretty bad for grain.

First shots were a bit wobbly and fireplace was underexposed,but from 00:25 onwards it is really cool,sort of oldschool,classic stuff. Very well done for first vid.

I have to agree that the opening sequence seemed out of place and the shaky came did make me dizzy.

I liked the bar concept, wasn't paying attention to the lyrics so I don't know if the footage relates to the song.

Hey there! Liberator, 8S9 is usually pretty honest in his critiques of work. Sometimes some brutal honesty is good.

---

Nice work! I highly recommend you cut out that opening, but aside from that - I liked it :)

I dug the Save Ferris shirt :cool:

Seems I've been beaten to the punch.. first 25 seconds seem completely unrelated and unnecessary to me. It almost feels like you just had extra footage you wanted to squeeze in somehow, but frankly there's nothing overly exciting about any of the shots in the first 25 seconds really.

That said, I watch the whole thing -- which I rarely do for things posted ;) Very punk, and the style fits the sound perfectly.

I'm generally not one to be a fan of super tight hand-held shots and whatnot, but given the music style, anything different or more "polished" if you will would have been entirely wrong.

Kudos

Last edited:
hey everyone, thanks for all the comments! I really appreciate it! that's fine that you think the intro uneccessary, there is a thematic reason behind every shot in there which adds to the apocalyptic theme of the clip.

I was just speaking my mind, i say what i see, I wasnt being disrespectful?

you stated that "Here's my first ever music video, i'm pretty proud of it and would appreciate it if you could take a look!"

I did and i spoke my mind, would you prefer I lied and said it was fantastic and that based on the results youl be a world famous director by next week?

the camera handling was shaky shaky shaky.

You lack the ability to take criticism, which is what i gave you, whether you took it as constructive or destructive is your problem, I was being honest.

btw when you meet professional people who slate your work, I hope you dont react the same way because this industry is full of a**holes.

as a note my videos are the greatest either they have their flaws and i look for the most honest people to be brutally honest about them, that way I can improve fourfold on my next video.

but keep your videos at the same level and lets see how professional you get.

Im doing just fine in my career excelling more than i thought, but were all different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x85_nbJegwI

First of all my friend, i've had professional criticism of my work many times as i've made quite a few short films and other video work and have yet to encounter one of these a**eholes you speak of, it's quite a generous industry if you ask me with the odd a**ehole scattered in. And just as you have a right to be "honest" i have a right to tell you that the way you're being "Honest" stinks.

Second of all you didn't explain why you didn't like things which is nothing but destructive and totally unnecessary. Try to help in your criticisms perhaps?

and what is "but keep your videos at the same level and lets see how professional you get." all about, dude this is an attitude problem that needs sorting out, just because i'm happy with the video, it doesn't mean i think it's perfect, of course it has flaws, but it does what i wanted it to do thematically and story wise which to me takes precedence.

In saying that i don't hold anything against you, just wanted to let you know how it made me feel.

Now to address your point.

The camera work is shaky shaky shaky on purpose, First of all, I shot it, i'm not a Cinematographer, i'm a director, but did not have anyone to help in this case, so i knew that i had enough experience and knowledge to do it on my own. it fits the raw style of videos made in the 60s and 70s and adds to the crescendo of chaos that i was trying to create. I'm not a fan of slick camera work for the sake of being slick. So i was going for a raw thing and was certainly not trying to get pretty shots.

First of all my friend, i've had professional criticism of my work many times as i've made quite a few short films and other video work and have yet to encounter one of these a**eholes you speak of, it's quite a generous industry if you ask me with the odd a**ehole scattered in. And just as you have a right to be "honest" i have a right to tell you that the way you're being "Honest" stinks.

Second of all you didn't explain why you didn't like things which is nothing but destructive and totally unnecessary. Try to help in your criticisms perhaps?

and what is "but keep your videos at the same level and lets see how professional you get." all about, dude this is an attitude problem that needs sorting out, just because i'm happy with the video, it doesn't mean i think it's perfect, of course it has flaws, but it does what i wanted it to do thematically and story wise which to me takes precedence.

In saying that i don't hold anything against you, just wanted to let you know how it made me feel.

Now to address your point.

The camera work is shaky shaky shaky on purpose, First of all, I shot it, i'm not a Cinematographer, i'm a director, but did not have anyone to help in this case, so i knew that i had enough experience and knowledge to do it on my own. it fits the raw style of videos made in the 60s and 70s and adds to the crescendo of chaos that i was trying to create. I'm not a fan of slick camera work for the sake of being slick. So i was going for a raw thing and was certainly not trying to get pretty shots.

so lets take a look at what you got emotional about...

The opening scenes were boring and pointless almost made me want to turn off. < everyone agress with this so no arguement there apart from you. Constructive

the opening guitar shot looks ridiculous and without being slated, slightly retarded. < In my opinion this is true opinionated

at 1:16 around the time the beers transition to the guys drinking, there is weird flash thing, dunno what it is but didnt like it.. < still weird unless its youtube playback problem. query

The camerawork is atrocious, However the look of the image is superb and suits the video very well. < As a cameraman i could tell atrocious camerawork, you call it raw, i call it poor, a proper cameraman would have got you a better shot, and dont give me rubbish about how it couldnt have gone better because it could have, your idea of chaos was wrong, I understand what you were going for but really a proper cameraman would have given you much better shots. constructive opinionated

The concept of the video is ok, it suits the song but perhaps needed more to it. < nothing offensive here, neutral stance opinionated

could you explain what you filmed it on and how you got the look and what made you decide on it? < Compliment
query

so please explain to me how i was being harsh? i was just being blunt, I dont stroke peoples egos..

I dont stroke peoples egos..
That's a fluffer's role.
rofl0.gif

Last edited:
Here's my first ever music video,

Congrats!

i'm pretty proud of it

You should be. It's yours to be proud of. Making anything is always a long road and sometimes it turns into a dead end. But you were able to put a frame around this and get it out there for people to see. Very cool.

and would appreciate it if you could take a look!

I did! It's not my cup of tea and I think it could use a bit more polish, but if you were aiming for a retro 60s vibe, you came pretty close to that aesthetic.

Don't mention it! :cool:

Now... go make more. :director:

so lets take a look at what you got emotional about...

The opening scenes were boring and pointless almost made me want to turn off. < everyone agress with this so no arguement there apart from you. Constructive

the opening guitar shot looks ridiculous and without being slated, slightly retarded. < In my opinion this is true opinionated

at 1:16 around the time the beers transition to the guys drinking, there is weird flash thing, dunno what it is but didnt like it.. < still weird unless its youtube playback problem. query

The camerawork is atrocious, However the look of the image is superb and suits the video very well. < As a cameraman i could tell atrocious camerawork, you call it raw, i call it poor, a proper cameraman would have got you a better shot, and dont give me rubbish about how it couldnt have gone better because it could have, your idea of chaos was wrong, I understand what you were going for but really a proper cameraman would have given you much better shots. constructive opinionated

The concept of the video is ok, it suits the song but perhaps needed more to it. < nothing offensive here, neutral stance opinionated

could you explain what you filmed it on and how you got the look and what made you decide on it? < Compliment
query

so please explain to me how i was being harsh? i was just being blunt, I dont stroke peoples egos..

Great points dude! reiterating what offended me in the first place, really made me see the light. Also great job on your Music Video! one thing for sure, the Camera work was sublime!

"your idea of chaos was wrong,"

You also have no right to TELL me what is wrong. you can have an opinion, but your attitude has made me totally disrespect your opinions and take all of your "Advice" no matter how valid it is, as nothing but that of a bitter, elitist know it all who thinks of themselves as some sort of film god with all the answers.

The other people here have been far more constructive than you.

I'm sure a lot of people will want to work with you though, you've really lived up to that A**ehole reputation you are so enamoured with!

Back