Star Trek fan film, Axanar.

The Star Trek fan film, was supposed to be made for $250,000, but, with its Kickstarter campaign raising over $650,000, it will go upscale and spend at least $750,000, which may be low considering their new ambitions.

I'm going to observe this studio.

Here's the trailer, which was apparently produced for $80,000 - I wonder why it cost so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

I'm curious why they felt the need to have a 21 minute trailer. Kind of get the feeling these guys won't cut enough, won't stay within budget, etc.

I wonder why it cost so much.

Take a look at their website: $28,000 for flooring at their studio.

And (of course) the usual expenses: equipment purchase and rental,
studio/office overhead, construction, props/costumes, cast and crew
payments, insurance . That kind of thing. I know a pyro guy who
worked on this project. His usual day rate wasn't met but he was paid
well. So if his fee was typical I can see why it cost what it cost.

At one point I was going to walk you through the budgeting process
so you could better understand the process. Now that you don't want
to work with me I hope you can find someone willing to do that with
you. It will be very helpful for an aspiring mogul.

I grew up watching Next Generation. I was never a huge Star Trek fan, but I liked it somewhat. This is the MOST interesting Star Trek I've seen so far. I'm definitely going to watch the movie when it comes out. Great job with the trailer.

The special effects could be better I suppose.

Take a look at their website: $28,000 for flooring at their studio.

And (of course) the usual expenses: equipment purchase and rental,
studio/office overhead, construction, props/costumes, cast and crew
payments, insurance . That kind of thing. I know a pyro guy who
worked on this project. His usual day rate wasn't met but he was paid
well. So if his fee was typical I can see why it cost what it cost.

The flooring would be a capital cost, not an expense, which means it would be written off over the life of the entire project. IOW, the whole project is now supposed to be $850,000, so the $28,000 would be part of that amount; it would not be part of the cost of the trailer, unless that cost was part of the $850,000.00.

At one point I was going to walk you through the budgeting process
so you could better understand the process. Now that you don't want
to work with me I hope you can find someone willing to do that with
you. It will be very helpful for an aspiring mogul.

Every time we do that, we argue, which is something that comes naturally to a litigator.

The flooring would be a capital cost, not an expense, which means it would be written off over the life of the entire project. IOW, the whole project is now supposed to be $850,000, so the $28,000 would be part of that amount; it would not be part of the cost of the trailer, unless that cost was part of the $850,000.00.
But not all filmmakers mention that. They very often include costs specific
to the production to the production - like capital improvement to their
studio. They call that 21 minute promotional piece a "trailer" and included
the capital cost when they said it cost eighty large.

Every time we do that, we argue, which is something that comes naturally to a litigator.
You decided to stop working with me because we argued. That's something
that comes naturally to a producer, too. Arguing is part of the process that
can result in a great movie. I hope you can find someone who will help you
with movie budgeting. It will help you understand how a 21 minute "trailer"
can cost $80,000. I can see how that might cost so much.

Nice 'trailer'. I liked the short documentary approach to setup the story.
The key on Garth seemed a bit too tight and too smooth, but I would love to see that movie :)

Hmmm... I could do this for $5,000. It's good looking and well done. 80k is a lot though.

The proof is in the eating of the pudding :P

Nice 'trailer'. I liked the short documentary approach to setup the story.
The key on Garth seemed a bit too tight and too smooth, but I would love to see that movie :)

I understand that the movie is not going to be shown in theatres, which means it will be shown on Youtube or Vimeo.

BTW, they are speculating using the soundstage as a film school, to teach people like me how to produce a sci-fi series. I would be interested. :)

Here is the cost breakdown to the fictitious documentary. Looking at the items, I'm wondering if I can really shave costs - instead of craft services, why not just order takeout? That would cut down $2,300.00. And, without the makeup, I can cut out another $12,000+.

That said, the first item is "production costs" of $ 21,601.70 - I wonder what that means.

craft services, why not just order takeout?

Craft services isn't catering. That's why.

You can cut costs sure. You can cut the craft services and supply it yourself. Depending on how long shooting is, you'll save some cash, but you'll split your focus. You could drive everyone around instead of paying for travel (assuming we're not talking flights). Dumping makeup isn't a great idea, especially for a sci-fi.

Craft services isn't catering. That's why.

You can cut costs sure. You can cut the craft services and supply it yourself. Depending on how long shooting is, you'll save some cash, but you'll split your focus. You could drive everyone around instead of paying for travel (assuming we're not talking flights).

Thanks, Sweetie, but the sound stages are often in the urban or suburban areas, which means that catering services are convenient. Why not just get takeout from the Chinese restaurant across the street? That's what I don't understand.

Last edited:
Craft services = snacks, drinks, coffee etc.
Catering = Meals.

You're talking about replacing snacks with meals. Perhaps they're naming it wrong. If so, your solution will sometimes work.

The next part of the equation. With the amount of people with allergies on the rise, could you get all your menu from one take away place?

Thanks, Sweetie, but the sound stages are often in the urban or suburban areas, which means that catering services are convenient. Why not just get takeout from the Chinese restaurant across the street? That's what I don't understand.
For a shoot that is, say, 10 days, getting takeout from the Chinese restaurant
across the street gets old for the cast and crew. For a 30 to 50 day shoot that
wold be intolerable. A nice variety of food is expected. So you go to the Italian
place one day and a chicken place one day and burgers. That is called “catering”
in the budget. “Catering” is the sit down meal served during the 30 minute
meal break.

Craft services is generally the line item used for general food and beverages set
out all day; cookies, chips, veggies, coffee, tea, water. The “crafts” being the
various departments on a production. That can range from $8 to $15 per person,
per day.

If you were still willing to work with me this is something we would have gone over
as we went through the budget line by line. Each project is a little different. Sometimes
there is no need for craft service and sometimes "catering" is simply a call to the
local pizza place. In a shoot of 18 days or longer I have found that hiring a catering
company to come in and set up tables and chairs, provide two different entries,
potato, vegetable, dessert and beverages and then clean up is actually cheaper than
sending someone over to the Chinese restaurant across the street.

A well fed crew is a happy crew. But, of course, there are ways to cut down on costs.
This is something I was willing to help you with. Once again, I'm sorry you have chosen
not work with me on your project.

I too wonder what "production costs" means. I suspect a lot of capital expenses are
in there. In my line item budgets I list every, single expense and where each penny
goes. Nothing so broad as "production costs: $21,600"

I didn't do the math, but I took Production Costs as a sub-total, but made my head scratch to work out how they made it to 70 or 90k.

I, too, assume "production costs" is a sub-total of something. "production
costs" could include make up and "meals" and catering and costumes. But
in this case do not.

I don't really expect a full line item budget to be posted on his Kickstarter
page even though he says "...when it comes to financial transparency and
accountability. To that end we present here our final budget." but that's
a pretty big number that is, essentially, unaccounted for.

I've done well over 200 full, line item budgets. I guess it's fine for a general
overview - a "top page". But it would be interesting to know what is accounted
for in that twenty-one large.

Back