• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Sci-fi ship design question

Hello,
I would like to get your opinion(s) on a ship design that I'm not too sure about. It's a spaceship that is a mix between a creature and technology. I'm looking for a unique look but I'm unsure about it as it may be too weird and make people generally not like it. The ship will be used in the series I'm working on that will be inspired by Star Wars, Doctor Who, the art of Moebius and old sci-fi serials.

Fighter%201%20050%20Front%20Day.jpg

Fighter%201%20050%20Rear%20Day.jpg

MantaAndFighter1.jpg

Thanks,
Benoit

Last edited:
Definitely unique and memorable. Though to me it just looks like something out of a b movie. And I attribute that to one thing.. The eye. I love the textureing, 'scales' and the engine pods (although a green glow would be better suited, I feel.) if there are going to be interior shots of this ship, I'd say have the organic looking elements mostly there. If you really are married to the eye look, I'd say go for something less human.

Dude, I really like it! It would've been great for my sci-fi comedy "Space Pilots" because it's kinda shaped like a dick and balls! :haha: (I mean, couldn't you see that fitting into THIS SHOW? https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE_nKsPy0RSQAeFz7avb1h3ZRta3k1JaP)

My only question is; is it supposed to be like a LIVING ship or just a ship based off of some alien lifeform? If the former is the case, I'd try to find a less rusty texture. Maybe something that looks like it could be metallic, but also a skin/scale texture.

(PS, that one in the foreground in the final picture looks really plastic. If that's what you're going for, like in a B movie, then it looks great, but your creature-ship looks a lot more realistic and it contrasts with that spacecraft)

Daniel: I agree:

Fighter%201%20051%20Front%20Day%20Half.jpg

Fighter%201%20051%20Rear%20Day%20Half.jpg

Mussonman:

Hahaha yes, it would fit right in (in ya know what I mean) :lol: (Great work by the way, I looked at it and for a one man team it's really good.) I told my cousin (who did the concept art for the ships) that it looks like a penis and if I understood him well and I remember correctly, he replied that up to a point everything looks like a penis :lol:

Now it's only a ship. I have quite a difficult time working on the textures. The rusted ship was easy because I only took a photo on CGTextures. But the other one I did by hand and I still need practice. I will see if I can make it a little more realistic. But I'm looking to do a sci-fi action like the old serials so it's not vital as far as I'm concerned as long as people enjoy the series.

Last edited:
I feel that adding a little bit of specularity to the other ship's hull may give it more of a metallic feel. I really do like that ship's design and that render though, looks very old school. what program do you use? Also, I do like the green.

Last edited:
Daniel:
I'll take a look at the specularity. What do you mean by "looks very old school", do you mean it looks like it's rendered by an old renderer? I have books with photos of Star Wars models and it's what I use for the textures. I asked my cousin to be inspired by Star Wars, the Tom Baker era of Doctor Who, the art of Moebius and his personal style for the designs (pgonyea.weebly.com).

I use blender with cycles as the render engine. For the terrains I will be using Terragen.

I got back to the red for the exhaust as my cousin suggested going with a color a little closer to red for the ship and since it lost the eye I preferred to go with the new ship's color. But the decision may still be changed.

maybe examine orange as a possible engine color? and i mean that just the way the lighting is, it makes it look like live action miniatures form star wars, which is pretty cool.

Daniel:

I will test with the color orange tomorrow. Glad that you like the look :)

Mussonman:

Glad you like the dick's textures :) and that was the original design :lol: I tried the eye but the original look is better :yes: Just wait 'till it shoots from the pee hole! :lol:

Last edited:
Is it April 1st already? That can't be a serious design. Are the ship's protective shields some kind of S&M jockstrap?

I told my cousin (who did the concept art for the ships) that it looks like a penis and he replied that up to a point everything looks like a penis :lol:

Did your cousin go to boarding school by any chance?

I don't know if you care about realism, but space ships would be tall and wide with a narrow *depth.

Not short and *deep.
Because when it moves forward you would want all the gravity force to push down toward the peoples feet not toward their backs.

Last edited:
I don't know if you care about realism, but space ships would be tall and wide with a narrow width.
Wide with a narrow width?

Not short with a deep width.
Huh?

Because when it moves forward you would want all the gravity force to push down toward the peoples feet not toward their backs.

Well, sorta...

A ship that spends all of it's time on space doesn't need to have any particular shape at all. Currently we have no means of artificial gravity, so would have to rely on an axial system to provide centrifugal force gravity; rounded or barbell shapes would be appropriate.

In most of our our sci-fi worlds we have artificial gravity - if only for budget purposes if not convenience. :D

Ships that fly through atmosphere need, obviously, aerodynamic shapes, determined mainly by the propulsion system. Those that enter and leave atmosphere will also have to deal with high G's and extreme temperatures.

Maz:

Hahaha, no he didn't. He's a very good person. I'll take a look at the design to see if I can make it less "familiar".

sfoster:

I care more about unique, visually interesting and different designs than what we're used to in North America. Designs that are closer to Moebius (and other European artists) designs than Nasa designs:

Moebius art

I want to stimulate people's imagination and generally do something different. If I want a chance on Kickstarter I need to propose something unique.

I just remembered this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mission_to_Jabba%27s_Palace_%28Galactic_Civil_War%29?file=JabbasTT8L.png

and this:

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/doctor-who-the-creature-from-the-pit.html

http://0tralala.blogspot.ca/2013/06/doctor-who-1979.html

and here's a few:

http://io9.com/12-aliens-that-look-way-too-much-like-male-genitalia-1642145367

so the design I'm working on wouldn't be the first :)

Last edited:
Anyone remember the ship from "Flesh Gordon?" Ben3Ds ship sort of reminds me of it.

3041723693_b7c67becdc.jpg

Oh, and your eye.........

tumblr_mapkqr116X1qlzduwo1_500.gif

"Flesh Gordon" is actually mildly amusing in a "Plan 9 From Outer Space" sort of way.

Hahaha, yeah, never seen it though. I decided to keep the design as myself I was seeing more a Sauron eye than the other thing. So it probably depends more on what people want to see :lol:

Back