Free Screen Writing Software?

Is there any decent FREE screenwriting software? I've used Final Draft, but it was a trial.

I remember there was a website, where you could type, save, and all that jazz on their website, but I cant find it. It was pretty neat, and I liked it.

Blank Canvas said:
Is there any decent FREE screenwriting software? I've used Final Draft, but it was a trial.

I remember there was a website, where you could type, save, and all that jazz on their website, but I cant find it. It was pretty neat, and I liked it.

If you know the basic format, juse use any word processing software, like even NOTEPAD, it can be a scriptwriting software.

There are free macros for MS Word. I would stay away from using a web-based app., you want your screenplay on your computer, not someone else's.

I used to use a program called Sophocles (for PC). It's not free, but the trial version was fully functional other than the fact that it put a big watermark on the pages. You could still print usable scripts with it though. I've tried MS Word templates, and they all are a pain to use.

Cinergy...

Blank Canvas said:

Here's a totally FREE screenwriting program. No Macros to mess with.

Free Cinergy Script Editor

Works on PCs. Very easy to use. Like I said, the software is 100% free and is fast and easy to use and actually pretty powerful and just the right price if you don't have any or cannot afford any screenwriting software.

I've used it for a couple of short film scripts just to see how it works and it does a hell of job... Especially considering it's free.

The link above is to the download page...

EDIT: Thought I would also mention that once you load the program, you can simply hit the ENTER key to start your script. Doing this brings up a little menu that allows you to choose one of the following:

INT.
EXT.
POV
FADE IN:

On INT. or EXT. and typing in the location, again hit ENTER and the program will offer up another menu for to select the time of day.

When you CAPITALIZE your character's names (when first introduced into the script) Cinergy will save the name and allow you yet another menu to choose this character when writing dialogue for them. Pretty nifty.

When using the TAB key, again, tab to the middle and the program will offer up the character menu. Tab to the end and the program will offer up the TRANSITION menu.

Again, pretty simple and quick. Very easy to use.

Of course you can always just use your mouse to select the very next element you want to type from the pull down menu above...

Like I said... I've used this free editor for writing a couple of short scripts and I also find it useful for fleshing out a scene idea from a card to see how it will look on the page...

It will also IMPORT files from other screenwriting programs and break those down for you... It does not save as a PDF but it will create a TITLE page for your work. If you install one of the myriad of free PDF conversion programs out there, like:

PrimoPDF (also totally free)

You'll be able to select PRINT from the Cinergy menu and then select PrimoPDF as your printer and convert your script into a nice PDF file which is what most people are reading these days...

Very cool little program... Enjoy it!

END EDIT.

Good luck!

filmy

Last edited by a moderator:
That's NOT to say that you can't write a feature screenplay with this software... You definitely can. There's not as many bells and whistles as a more formal program like Final Draft or Movie Magic Screenwriter but I actually like that...

You just write.

filmy

mrde50 said:
I've played with Celtx which is supposed to be the FOSS version of Final Cut, but I keep coming back to OpenOffice.org (Which will be going to version 2.0 next week). :clap:

CeltX user here as well, and I love the program so far. Just takes a little getting used to the shortcuts and stuff, but I've been very pleased with it. And it comes for the Mac, which is a big plus!

James

Back