• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Anyone use Amazon Studios?

I submitted a few scripts to Amazon Studios. They claim they automatically enter you into contests and could possibly produce your script if it is chosen. The only downside is they make you promise not to sell the script to anyone else for 18 months. I've gotten a few reviews from their users, but not enough to make it worth-while.

Anyways, take a look at this script I wrote: http://studios.amazon.com/scripts/12079

It is a bit long, but it is a heart warming drama that has a nice ending. You might like it.

Many of us have used and/or are still on AmazonStudios. My 2 cents...

I joined almost a year ago with mixed results.

Some history WITH EXAMPLES:

One script got 23 reads and a 4.5 out of 5 star ratings (only two reviews). One of the reviewers, (you must swap scripts on Amazon to get read) Scott Mullen, out of Hollywood, gave my script a 5 star on premise (a 4.5 over all). I gave him a 4.5 as well, my only complaint with his well written script -- ending was predictable (with a target market aimed at young girls). He had not been read prior to my review and I was the only one at that time to review his script. Two weeks later, Scott won $25,000.00 by Amazon Studios. Had nothing to do with my review. After he won, his script was read by maybe a hundred readers. Some gave his script less than 3 stars with negative comments (envy I think), others more.

I have read several very bad scripts on Amazon Studios that won top awards by Amazon's readers/judges. I have read several good scripts that were ignored. Do not expect to win. EVEN IF your script is excellent all around.

I have reviewed many scripts (in promised swap reviews) that were never completed by those I swapped with... many people do not keep promises on Amazon Studios. I enjoy the read anyway, you get better at writing by reading the works of others. But bad scripts wear you down. There are a lot of really bad scripts on Amazon Studios.

I have had a few (in swaps) read 10 pages or less from my scripts -- or skip through the script, and write a purely made-up review, (one reviewer even admitted such in her review)! This is after I read their entire script and posted a complete, honest review of her work. There is a lot of back stabbing and envy on Amazon Studios. Some do not want the truth in an honest review. Many just look for easy money. Some have friends read and write glowing reviews on mediocre or crappy scripts -- thinking it will get them prize money. You get he idea.

Another script on Amazon Studios went through an evolution based upon comments by other readers (some honest and some not). Read by 26, reviewed by 7, 3 stars out of 5 (read the reviews you will see what I mean) this script was re-written and re-submitted again. This time 11 reads and two reviews at 4.5 out of 5 stars.

So. My bottom line, based upon my experience is... If you go on Amazon Studios to win -- forget it. If you are expecting honest reviews of your work, you stand at about a 50 - 50 chance of getting that. If you want to network, there are some good writers that do crop up from time to time there. Beware, I spent a lot of time reading the scripts of others and reviewing their work with detailed examples from with in their work -- and never got such a detailed review in return.

Good luck on Amazon Studios. I will not be putting any more of my scripts up at Amazon Studios. I rarely even visit the site these days. I do not think my work was ever read by Amazon Studio readers. LOL. Might just be a money laundry type of scam... for all I know. Just guessing. I will take down my scripts when my 18 months are over -- and never re-join.

@Don

Hahah, yeah man.. that's the Amazon experience I had :)
They only pick scipts that interest kids. They could have said that in the begining and saved the rest of us a lot of time. Then the biggest insult to the rest of us, picking a STUPID test movie as the best for ONE MILLION DOLLAR award! Now, they want someone to FIX that stupid script for 33K because it's not quite there.
If it's not there, why pick it as a best script and movie?

I joined in 2010 AS and one of the first one there.
It's really sad how they picked scripts. There are hundreds of scipts I read FAR BETTER on AS than anything they picked... these Hollywood 'experts'.
What a farce.

I think all this was decided by Roy and his inner circle before anyone can make a recomendation.

Back