• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Explicits in Screenplay I'm Planning on Submitting to Contests

So, I am now one of those people who "has a script".

Oh god.

And I'm planning on submitting it to about 10 screenwriting contests (or so) throughout the year. My script is basically about a bunch of white immature suburban lower-middle class Americans and there are a few characters that love to cuss. I designed these characters this way, they are ridiculous and dramatic people and I don't want to change a thing in terms of their dialogue because I have it the way I want it. So what I'm really trying to figure out, is, if I submit this thing to a few writing contests am I going to be frowned upon or judged poorly if I have a "cunt" or two in the script and probably about 25+ "fucks". I honestly don't personally care about this stuff myself, but submitting to contests and/or film festivals is always a risky investment and I don't want to screw it up over something so superficial.

I wouldn't worry about it. Considering Pulp Fiction won the Palme d'Or, the top award at Cannes, I don't think film festivals care one way or the other. I'd say the same for contests, unless they're aimed at minors/high school students (and then I'm sure they'd specify in their rules).

RVA, what-whaaaaat!

Well actually, I have heard, from sources I trust, that film fests are tired of movies about young people who curse a lot. Especially if they're planning to rob a bank, or something.

I'd still say don't worry about it, cuz film fests are pretty much bogus, anyway, and unless you get into one of the top 3-5 most prestigious ones, a film fest ain't gonna further your career. Almost all of them are pretty much just for fun, so make your film or script the way you want it to be, and all the fests that don't like it can go to hell!

P.S. FB friend-request sent. You never know when we might want to collaborate, or perhaps share the same info about something going on locally.

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm not going to edit any of the cussing out. Fuck it. :)

I just accepted your friend request and you know what, I have seen an excerpt of your film "Antihero"! I went to the James River Filmmaker's Forum back in February, that was my favorite movie there, I want to see the whole thing.

Love is in the air...
guitar-play.gif

Connor, that's awesome. Thanks, man! I'll definitely let you know about any possible screenings of the full movie. I've considered contacting the Byrd about maybe doing a midnight screening, donate proceeds to charity or something. Also might do a screening at the VCU theater, seeing as how it's basically a VCU movie.

Good luck with the script! Are you a producer/director, as well, or do you prefer to just write?

Okay great, I'll have to come to the screening whenever it's time.

And thanks, I've been hard at work on the script for a year now, I just finished up my final draft of it about a month ago and I don't ever want to have to look at the thing again until I can one day direct it.

And I am actually still in film school at VCU, a sophomore. But I consider myself to be a writer and director. And well, I guess I'm a producer too since I pay for all of my films to be made.

So what I'm really trying to figure out, is, if I submit this thing to a few writing contests am I going to be frowned upon or judged poorly if I have a "cunt" or two in the script and probably about 25+ "fucks".
Fuckifino?

It's not the words themselves (that every mature adult has heard umpteen billion times) it's "are they being used in context with the story?"

On the one hand PWT boys from suburbia do talk like that. Hell, I talk like that.
So, if you're trying to create a humorless or dark, almost morbid, comedy then it'll likely be appropriate.

On the other hand, if the language can be domesticated and the story is conveyed just as effectively without all the ceyenne pepper oil in it then do so.

Look at it like this:
Ever had real sex?
Ever see how it's portrayed in film.
Pfft.
Ain't even close to reality.
How about a real fight?
Same thing.

Film isn't about duplicating reality.
It's about stripping away all the distractions, adding valuable realism, directing attention to specific elements while communicating the story - which can be done eight different ways.

Somewhere on youtube is a short about the different ways different directors would direct a scene.
There's the Woody Allen version, the Clint Estwood version, the Coen Brothers, the Michael Bay, etc.
Same thing.

You gotta figure out if the language A) matches and enhances the story, B) provides puerile distraction, C) sophomoric authenticity.
It's the latter two contest readers flag a screenplay for.

EDIT:
Another thing to consider is that if you've watched enough writer/director/producer/actor commentaries in DVD extras & bonus material and have read enough screenplays (not transcripts) compared to the finished product you know every Tom, Dick & Harry is gonna change your dialog.
Foul language is going to be changed by the director & actor.
Almost never is the final edited print a verbatim of the script.
The contest readers likely know this and if they see your writing going through painful contortions to fit in "real & frank" dialect of the characters then they'll flag it.
Fuckit.
Just let the characters talk.
If the director wants to sauce it up - they will, and with zero input from the lowly writer.
If the actors want to sauce it up - they'll pose to the director five different ways they could deliver each line, also with zero input from the lowly writer.

Last edited:
Well what I did yesterday was eliminate all of the totally unnecessary cuss words, the ones that I probably typed pretty casually. I figured out that two of my characters like to cuss, and they like to cuss a lot, while the main character cusses maybe 5 or 6 times the whole movie, he uses it sparingly, like chocolate... cussing is at the top of the food pyramid for him.

And the thing is, this is a pretty almost sad, dark comedy, about pathetic self-absorbed suburban people.

I wrote it with intentions of depicting reality in almost a far-fetched way (huh... so I guess it isn't reality), it has a very similar overall tone to "The Graduate" or "Harold and Maude"

Back