• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Customer Input Directs Netflix's Original Content Plan

4/7/2012 : http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/netflix-ted-sarandos-original-content-309275

"Netflix pays for content based on how many people its executives think will watch. The company then measure success not by Nielsen, but with its own internal data that shows what people watched and how much. It doesn’t have to be on one night, either, so the company doesn't have to market it as appointment TV. It also does not release viewership numbers to the outside world.

While serialized dramas don’t work as well on broadcast TV, that was exactly what Netflix wanted, said Sarandos. That is why it premiered all eight episodes of Lillehammer at once, even though traditional TV marketers told executives that was a mistake. They wanted to give the audience what it wanted and then let them watch as much as they want.

“What we do is try to find the perfect show for an audience,” he said.

The audience then rates the show on a Netflix system of one to five stars. That data is used to determine if the show is a success in the Netflix world, what kind of show that person wants to see (which is used to choose other shows), and to give the customers exactly the programs they want."

Those of you who've been reading some of my mini-rants the last couple months about cultivating an audience following across multiple germane forums and facebook groups BEFORE even writing your screenplay might recognize this is exactly the same thing as what Ted Sarandos, chief content officer of Netflix, is doing.

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=260119#post260119
http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=250686

1. Be inspired by your own initial creative premise
  2. Use key elements of that inspired premise to identify future audience customers
  3. Locate their active forums and FB pages, infiltrate & integrate
  4. Observe preferences, biases, and reoccuring themes
  5. Modify your premise to accomodate these observations
  6. Write a finished screenplay with larger known built in audience customers
Build perfect indie films for multiple forum and FB group audiences.
(And make them interconnected so that they can cross-promote each other.)

Last edited:
Thank you! In otherwords, know your audience -- write to them (or at least with them in mind)! In Film Studies classes, this is why I loved Truffaut and hated Goddard... both part of the French new wave (nouvelle vague), but polar opposites in their approach to making films. Truffaut loved the audience and wrote his films for the audience, Goddard held the audience in disdain and made his films specifically to push against the conventions that the audience expected.

Star ratings...

I don't think a single star-rating is a good one.

It should be several questions and ratings. The movie could be a good one but the viewer didn't like something. Give them a few options as why and select the answer.
Maybe five lines of questions and each line has a 1-5 star rating.

Maybe some of the questions should be if they like/dislike : Story, acting, ETC.
That would help to know WHY people didn't like the movie and make better selection in the future.

This reminds me of people stop buying at a certain store and don;t tell the management why.
If I was the manager, I want to know WHY people didn;t like someting and how I can remedy the situation.

Then, there are people who takes great deal of enjoyment to rate everything one-star just for the hell of it.

Back