• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I need to write a synopsis for my script

I've been researching on proper structuring of a synopsis and I've come across a fundamental difference in opinion. I suppose, once again, an answer depends on to whom this synopsis will be delivered (in my case, a competition, not potential financiers)? Here's the problem, some sites suggest that the 3rd act resolution must be revealed in this synopsis while other sites say this definitely should not happen. What say yous peoples? Thanks!

Are you able to review past winning synopsis' from the specific contest site you're considering?

If so, then analyze a few, either/or trend majority wins.

Thanks ray!
You're welcome. ::)

And I agree with what FSF just said below.
You guys know I like to do tons of film homework and I've never run across any information from the completed film side stating their source material originated with a contest winner and I've only heard a few references to contest winners being picked up for production.

Of the thousand-pluss produced indie films submitted to Sundance only a hundred-and-change get picked for show.
Of those hundred-and-change only 40% get picked up for distribution.
"Bass Ackwards was named an official selection in the 2010 Sundance Film Festival for inclusion in NEXT, a new category that recognized films for their innovative and original work in low-and-no-budget filmmaking and is part of a wave of films that showcases the diversity of independent cinema." - and still received no distribution.

Winning a screenplay competition... ? A synopsis competition... ?
The attention is nice, but... from my observations you're better off filming it yourself to get attention to your NEXT few screenplays.

Good idear, Ray. (I still owe you that jig)
Thank you, sir. And "yes, you do."
At your leisure, Captain. ;)

Last edited:
Are you able to review past winning synopsis' from the specific contest site you're considering?

If so, then analyze a few, either/or trend majority wins.

Thanks ray!

I can search the archives for the lists of *winners*, then, possibly, search for these scripts (have seen a few loglines), but have not seen any submitted synopses.

Every situation is a bit different, so I'm not saying this is the way it should be in every case.

A "synopsis" is a summary (1-2 pages). So in that case, I give the gist of the resolution without being specific. Presumably they will also have a copy of your script. A "treatment" is basically a script without dialogue or elaborate description (3-15+ pages). In this case, you would include the nature of the ending. The synopsis is the "TV guide"-esque summary. The treatment is the "Cliff Notes"-esque version.

Obviously, before you send anything off, be sure it is properly registered for your protection. Keep track of to whom you sent it and when. It may seem a bit paranoid but it's for your protection. While many well-known competitions are above board, there are lots of competitions that are simply out for money or can lock up your script. While I'm not directly aware of any scripts or ideas being stolen, competitions can be money pits. Scriptwriters are their favorite targets, so be careful. There are more profitable uses for $50, especially if they charge you more for feedback (which is often the case). I mean, is winning screenwriting software an incentive since most of us already are using something already, like CeltX?

The other piece is that winning doesn't guarantee you can get it produced. It can help you, sometimes, get an agent. I know of at least three writers whose scripts have won awards and haven't seen any action. Not to be a wet blanket, but I feel the people hosting the competitions are the only ones who make out.

In what little experience I have with writing up synopsiseses (plural spelling??) it is supposed to pretty much map out the entire script, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd act with no cliffhanger ending or vague resolutions.

But that's just what I know. And what I know wouldn't fill a shoebox. ;)

* and good info, too, Fantasy!

Last edited:
Every situation is a bit different, so I'm not saying this is the way it should be in every case.

A "synopsis" is a summary (1-2 pages). So in that case, I give the gist of the resolution without being specific. Presumably they will also have a copy of your script. A "treatment" is basically a script without dialogue or elaborate description (3-15+ pages). In this case, you would include the nature of the ending. The synopsis is the "TV guide"-esque summary. The treatment is the "Cliff Notes"-esque version.

Obviously, before you send anything off, be sure it is properly registered for your protection. Keep track of to whom you sent it and when. It may seem a bit paranoid but it's for your protection. While many well-known competitions are above board, there are lots of competitions that are simply out for money or can lock up your script. While I'm not directly aware of any scripts or ideas being stolen, competitions can be money pits. Scriptwriters are their favorite targets, so be careful. There are more profitable uses for $50, especially if they charge you more for feedback (which is often the case). I mean, is winning screenwriting software an incentive since most of us already are using something already, like CeltX?

The other piece is that winning doesn't guarantee you can get it produced. It can help you, sometimes, get an agent. I know of at least three writers whose scripts have won awards and haven't seen any action. Not to be a wet blanket, but I feel the people hosting the competitions are the only ones who make out.
Excellent advice, FantasySciFi! I do have the script registered with the WGA. :) They will only request a copy of the script if the synopsis passes muster. This is why I'm most concerned about the proper presentation of the synopsis. Thanks again for your response!

In what little experience I have with writing up synopsiseses (plural spelling??) it is supposed to pretty much map out the entire script, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd act with no cliffhanger ending or vague resolutions.

But that's just what I know. And what I know wouldn't fill a shoebox. ;)

LOL, thanks Jeff! I think I am leaning towards full disclosure, at least for a second script I may enter (my feature ani, already in production).

And I agree with what FSF just said below.
You guys know I like to do tons of film homework and I've never run across any information from the completed film side stating their source material originated with a contest winner and I've only heard a few references to contest winners being picked up for production.

Of the thousand-pluss produced indie films submitted to Sundance only a hundred-and-change get picked for show.
Of those hundred-and-change only 40% get picked up for distribution.
"Bass Ackwards was named an official selection in the 2010 Sundance Film Festival for inclusion in NEXT, a new category that recognized films for their innovative and original work in low-and-no-budget filmmaking and is part of a wave of films that showcases the diversity of independent cinema." - and still received no distribution.

Winning a screenplay competition... ? A synopsis competition... ?
The attention is nice, but... from my observations you're better off filming it yourself to get attention to your NEXT few screenplays.
Yup, I, and everyone else here, appreciates all the links and invaluable research you've done, Ray!

From some accounts I've read, Sundance states that their decisions are based on the quality of the materials sent (industry ties be damned) but I've also read they prefer to have a project already in production which simply needs a 'a push' to come to fruition. Has me thinking that my ****** project might be a better entry.

Last edited:
They will only request a copy of the script if the synopsis passes muster. This is why I'm most concerned about the proper presentation of the synopsis. Thanks again for your response!
Are you paying for the privilege of having them approve your synopsis to move to the next round? I guess I'm a bit suspicious. It seems odd to me that they need to approve your idea before reading your script for a script competition. Who's evaluating the synopses? I'd check out their past winners and what has become of the winning scripts.

Are you paying for the privilege of having them approve your synopsis to move to the next round? I guess I'm a bit suspicious. It seems odd to me that they need to approve your idea before reading your script for a script competition. Who's evaluating the synopses? I'd check out their past winners and what has become of the winning scripts.
Yes, indeed. It is the Sundance Screenwriting Workshop. I realize it's a very, very long shot, but feel the 35.00 fee is worth the possibility of industry peeps mentorship. :)

These are some of the past creative advisors....
http://www.sundance.org/programs/screenwriters-lab/ said:
Creative Advisors for the Screenwriters Labs have included Scott Frank, Susannah Grant, Scott Z Burns, Frank Pierson, John August, Chris McQuarrie, Thomas Vinterberg, Atom Egoyan, Naomi Foner, Mike White, Allison Anders, Walter Mosley, and Walter Bernstein, among many others.

Some past winners...
http://www.sundance.org/programs/screenwriters-lab/ said:
Many groundbreaking artists have been supported by the Screenwriters Lab, including: Sean Durkin, Cary Fukunaga, Cherien Dabis, Craig Zobel, Josh Marston, Ryan Fleck and Anna Boden, Darren Aronofsky, David Gordon Green, Shirin Neshat, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Tamara Jenkins.

Okay, thanks for the responses, guys! Have to get back to work but will be back to check for any further suggestions. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back