• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Hey, NERDS!

Wanna help me make up some fake science?

We will be using electrolysis to pull the hydrogen from water molecules. Okay, that's real science.

The fake part comes in when we find a way to do it without using a bunch of energy. Somehow, it will be self-perpetuating.

I don't have the slightest care how unrealistic it is. I only care that we make it sound realistic.

This will not be a minor plot-point, but in fact is the entire basis for my next feature.

Interested parties should PM their email address to me, and the discussion shall begin later this week. :)

Let's "up the tech".

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/tech_validation/pdfs/fcm03r0.pdf
Page 3-17

"3.8 Emissions Key Points & Notes
The combustion of hydrogen with oxygen produces water as
its only product:
2H2 + O2 = 2H2O

The combustion of hydrogen with air however can also produce oxides of nitrogen (NOx):
H2 + O2 + N2 = H2O + N2 + NOx

The oxides of nitrogen are created due to the high temperatures generated within the combustion chamber during combustion. This high temperature causes some of the nitrogen in the air to combine with the oxygen in the air. The amount of NOx formed depends on:
• the air/fuel ratio
• the engine compression ratio
• the engine speed
• the ignition timing
• whether thermal dilution is utilized

In addition to oxides of nitrogen, traces of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide can be present in the exhaust gas, due to seeped oil burning in the combustion chamber.

Depending on the condition of the engine (burning of oil) and the operating strategy used (a rich versus lean air/fuel ratio), a hydrogen engine can produce from almost zero emissions (as low as a few ppm) to high NOx and significant carbon monoxide emissions.

Figure 3-8 illustrates a typically NOx curve relative to phi for a hydrogen engine. A similar graph including other emissions is shown in Figure 3-9 for gasoline. "

Blah, blah, blah...

And, so where does the hydrogen itself come from?
http://www.hydrogenambassadors.com/background/worldwide-hydrogen-production-analysis.php
"In the year 2000, crude oil was the dominant fossil fuel to produce hydrogen (55 percent), followed by natural gas and coal. At present, 49 percent of the hydrogen is produced by reforming natural gas, 29 percent by coal. Electrolysis had and still has a minimal impact.

As long as the electricity for the electrolysis does not come from renewable energy sources, no hydrogen produced at present is clean and "green" respectively. Furthermore, no hydrogen is actually being used by the end consumer."

actual-hydrogen-production.gif

So, what if electrolysis could be made to be more efficient?
That would certainly clear up a lot of that ugly fossil fuel dependency.

I wonder what one of these babies looks like? Certainly could look cool on film.
http://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/proj_production_delivery.html#split

"Photoelectrochemical Water Splitting
The cleanest way to produce hydrogen is by using sunlight to directly split water into hydrogen and oxygen. Multijunction cell technology developed by the photovoltaic industry is being used for photoelectrochemical (PEC) light harvesting systems that generate sufficient voltage to split water and are stable in a water/electrolyte environment. The NREL PEC system produces hydrogen from sunlight without the expense and complication of electrolyzers, at a solar-to-hydrogen conversion efficiency of 12.4% lower heating value using captured light. Research is underway to identify more efficient, lower cost materials and systems that are durable and stable against corrosion in an aqueous environment."

WHAT A BUNCH OF [KITTY]-LOOKING PHOTOELECTROCHEMICAL WATER SPLITTING IMAGES!

watersplittingcatalystx250W.jpg

Efff meee!

I wanna see some big munkey-muther, industrial strength, Fresnel lens, water baking apparatus!

C'mon, guys! Think uppa something coooooool for CF to put in his film!

Oh, goody.
Doctor Turner here is gonna bake enough hydrogen to fuel a Roomba for an hour.

20090515_dinh_14554.jpg

Something like this might fit in CF's garage.

nanoptek_x220.jpg

Last edited:
Let's "up the tech".

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/hydrogenandfuelcells/tech_validation/pdfs/fcm03r0.pdf
Page 3-17

"3.8 Emissions Key Points & Notes
The combustion of hydrogen with oxygen produces water as
its only product:
2H2 + O2 = 2H2O

The combustion of hydrogen with air however can also produce oxides of nitrogen (NOx):
H2 + O2 + N2 = H2O + N2 + NOx

You are correct rayw. Great research. I did look up similar things. If the combustion temp is low enough you don't get the NOx , I believe. So basically if the system is optimized you get water vapor as the exhaust. A clean energy solution is just around the bend.

Maybe we could have plugin hydrogen vehicles. You plug them in at night to convert water to hydrogen. This way all you need to do is put water in the car. Then it converts the water to hydrogen when it is plugged in. Thus, it is safer than fueling hydrogen in a fuel cell car.

If we can figure out a faster way to convert the water to hydrogen then you could make hydrogen fuel on demand in the car when it is driving. That would be cool.

Last edited:
The stoichiometric ratio of hydrogen to oxygen is (2) H2 : (1) O2, or 4 hydrogen to 2 oxygen which converts to 2 hydrogen to 1 oxygen (H2O). You don't need (or want) outside air for the combustion process.

I'm not gonna stop you guys from theorizing all you want, but you're missing a few things (like the plot of my movie).

Also, we're creating FAKE science. :D

I hate to break it to you, but
ALL sci-fi is fake

Oh pulling hydrogen out of a water molecule with a minimal energy concur prion?
Easy!

How about this:

INT. LABORATORY OFFICE

Tall stacks of research papers are towering over a heavy wooden desk. DR. LOUGH, 40s and in a white lab coat, scribbles down a complex mathematical equation on yet another piece of paper.

A door busts open and LAURA, late 20s in an ugly vest and chalked khakis runs in and madly paces in the room.

LAURA
I got it! It is beautiful! Second derivative in
third matrix row was incorrect--

DR LOUGH
Relax, Laura! Take a breath!

Lauras' eyes lock on Dr Lough face.

LAURA
All we have to do now is to introduce
Potassium Dioxide compound to the
mix, and the atom will stabilize itself.
It's self propelling!

Dr Lough shakes his head and goes back to his writing.

LAURA
But what if we will drop temperature
to 37 kelvin in the compound? That..
That should give enough of the
synchronized push to split
dihytrogen oxide! Of course!

Laura notices an obvious lack of excitement from DR Lough.

Laura
Isn't what you were looking for
the last 15 years? Professor!

Dr Lough lifts his eyes at Laura, and slowly removes his glasses. He scratches his eyes with exhaustion.

DR LOUGH
Laura, Laura, Laura. Who gives a
damn about hydrogen and
compounds... I haven't gotten laid in
decays!*

Laura smiles, and unbuttons the top of her vest....

Wait.. What movie is this again??*

Last edited:
I'm not gonna stop you guys from theorizing all you want, but you're missing a few things (like the plot of my movie).

Also, we're creating FAKE science. :D

I hate to break it to you, but
ALL sci-fi is fake
You want a flux capacitor to make this all happen.
THAAAAAT'S what you need.

(I don't think you're really looking for a Mr. Fusion just yet.)
fusion-delorean.jpg

Dr Lough lifts his eyes at Laura, and slowly removes his glasses. He scratches his eyes with exhaustion.

DR LOUGH
Laura, Laura, Laura. Who gives a
damn about hydrogen and
compounds... I haven't gotten laid in
decays!*

Laura smiles, and unbuttons the top of her vest....

Wait.. What movie is this again??*

This one, I think.

Katie_Green_746719a.jpg

I think you just doubled CF sales, Dima. :idea:

Last edited:
ALL sci-fi is fake.

Like the communicators in star trek... hand held wireless communicators that would never happen!

and the little ear bud thingy that Ohura wore which wirelessly connected to her computer as a headset... absurd! It could never happen.

And a computer that you can carry around like a legal padd (typo intentional) -- pssshhhh!

Like the communicators in star trek... hand held wireless communicators that would never happen!

and the little ear bud thingy that Ohura wore which wirelessly connected to her computer as a headset... absurd! It could never happen.

And a computer that you can carry around like a legal padd (typo intentional) -- pssshhhh!

Interplanetary space-travel is definitely fake. There are a lot of people who think its possible, but their theories are unproven, and break laws of modern science.

And that's what we're going to do. Yes, Ray, we're basically inventing a flux capacitor, but we're gonna make it sound more fancy, and more pretend-realistic.

Because if you read back to my OP, you'll see that I said we were going to create self-perpetuating energy. That is impossible. It's impossible by today's science, and probably will always be so.

The part about hydrogen as a source of energy is very real and current. Creating a self-perpetuating source of energy, to be used to manufacture hydrogen - that's about as fake as you can get. But that's what we're gonna do, and we're gonna make it sound sciency. :D

The part about hydrogen as a source of energy is very real and current. Creating a self-perpetuating source of energy, to be used to manufacture hydrogen - that's about as fake as you can get. But that's what we're gonna do, and we're gonna make it sound sciency. :D

Here is my idea. Use sound resonate frequency to break apart water. Maybe use a certain song that you figure out is hitting the resonate frequency and acting on a glass of water near by. Just an idea. I like the idea of accidently discovering a new technology. So you play a certain song any time you want to convert water to hydrogen in the film.

Here is my idea. Use sound resonate frequency to break apart water. Maybe use a certain song that you figure out is hitting the resonate frequency and acting on a glass of water near by. Just an idea. I like the idea of accidently discovering a new technology. So you play a certain song any time you want to convert water to hydrogen in the film.

I vote for "Puberty Love" by Matt Cameron. After all, it did make the Killer Tomatoes explode, and tomatoes are 93-95% water. :lol:

Back