Article: "Film bosses accused of mutilating scripts and pushing out writing talent"

Article: "Film bosses accused of mutilating scripts and pushing out writing talent"

I saw this article on The Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ded-script-editing-pushing-talent-out-of-film

The article was essentially talking about how many screenwriters write a script, sell the script, are booted from the process, and then the script is eventually altered to the point where it bears little resemblance to the original. Many writers are often sacked without warning by the studios, and then discover later on that their original work has been altered beyond recognition by a production line of writers. Even when writers are unceremoniously removed from projects, their name may still appear in the credits. They may not even know they were replaced until it appears in a blog or trade report.

Obviously this phenomenon been around for a long time, but this was an article where some notable British born screenwriters were actually stepping out of the shadows to shed some light on the problem.

This phenomenon has seemed to lead to two things: One, the number of writers flocking to television, where directors shoot what's on the page and writing is well respected, and two , the general, decreasing quality of theatrical films. Many films today appeal to the lowest common denominator. Audiences vote with their dollar, and when films like Transformers rake in the most money, studios will continue to produce films just like that. Audiences have become used to seeing bland, recycled storylines because so many scripts are stripped of their original material, so it's no wonder the cycle continues. Even if an idea is unique - not the result of some remake or book adaptation - the plotline and writing itself still yields to a certain cookie-cutter mold, because studios are absolutely terrified of deviating from the norm and taking risks. It's pretty sad, although I can't necessarily say it doesn't make sense. A lot of people claim that a majority of moviegoers only go to theaters to be distracted and entertained, not to take something more from the experience or witness 'art'.

This leads to a question of mine: The article continuously refers to "film bosses" being the ones to change a script. Who exactly are these film bosses, and who is the most responsible for the 'mutilation' of a script? If a screenwriter steps behind the camera to direct their own work, is this enough to bypass the issue? Or is it essentially pointless.

In the article, it was mentioned a few times that many screenwriters have opted to direct their own work, although I'm wondering if this is actually enough to make a big difference. It's a wonder how any good films make it into theaters under these conditions. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate commercial appeal - I don't think someone who writes a 'deep', artsy film about a guy chain smoking next to a window for three hours deserves to complain that his film isn't being released in theaters. But can't a script be good, original, well-written, and appeal to a large audience? It seems like the best avenue for writers today is to direct their own work on a low budget within the indie bracket (where there won't be as many studio heads demanding changes), aim for a limited theatrical release, and then hope the reviews are good enough to warrant a greater theatrical release. Of course it's a long shot, but what other options are there? I see a lot of writers who are quite jaded from this whole process. In the article, one writer (Oscar winner Jeffrey Caine) likened this process to a chef preparing a wonderful dish, and then having someone smother ketchup all over it.

I'm curious to hear any general thoughts! On the article, on studio executives and directors changing a script, on the quality audiences expect today, on writer-director hybrids. What do you think of this issue? In your mind, is it even an issue at all?

You have to realize that what the studios are doing may be totally legal if the writers signed a contract allowing for "revisions." Studios do script rewrites in a business as usual fashion. They may say they have to bring a script up to "studio standards" too. They can assign a team of writers coming in at different points where an original script is no longer recognizable more by too many cooks spoil the broth than intentional. It's more like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing with big business and studios are big businesses.

Syd Field discussed script revisions and how teams of studio writers work when I took a class with him in Los Angeles.

I was unhappy with the rewrite the campus newspaper editor did with my first article for the campus newspaper I contributed in when I attended college. But, you learn to get over it after a while. Writers don't like to lose control of their works. But, it happens once your work gets accepted by someone who will publish it or turn a script into a movie.

Last edited:
the number of writers flocking to television

That is one perspective. Another could be: TV Content is growing, and growing fast. Consumers are consuming more and more TV than ever before. The more TV content that is needed, the more writers are needed. If you were a writer, especially considering that less movies are being made by studios each year, wouldn't you consider taking a steady pay check?

where directors shoot what's on the page and writing is well respected

The TV medium is slightly different. The typical boss is called the Showrunner, not the director.

This leads to a question of mine: The article continuously refers to "film bosses" being the ones to change a script. Who exactly are these film bosses, and who is the most responsible for the 'mutilation' of a script? If a screenwriter steps behind the camera to direct their own work, is this enough to bypass the issue? Or is it essentially pointless.

I think your premise may be wrong. The article seems to focus completely on the writer instead of the process. What do you think should happen to a script that has a strong premise but needs work to succeed? Should they refuse to make it outright?

Film is a collaborative process. While the writer does write the story, once a film is being made, there are many other people who will have their input into the film. The director, producer(s), other writers who are brought in, studio execs, even the actors. They can all bring something to the story. That's not to mention what will happen once the film hits post production in the editing suite. Right or wrong, that is (more or less) the process.

In the article, it was mentioned a few times that many screenwriters have opted to direct their own work.

Nothing wrong with that. There are examples of good and bad work when this happens. A good writer doesn't necessarily translate into a good or bad director. It'd be frustrating for the audience if a good piece of writing is turned to crap due to poor directing.

But can't a script be good, original, well-written, and appeal to a large audience?

There are. Don't forget high concept. You can have everything you mentioned, and not be high concept. If that happens marketing can become troublesome.

what other options are there?

You can work with the studios within their guidelines, work on your own with your own guidelines. There are so many different ways to work. You can make a web series. You can work in TV. You can work on shorts. You can work on feature films, with and/or without a budget.

I see a lot of writers who are quite jaded from this whole process. In the article, one writer (Oscar winner Jeffrey Caine) likened this process to a chef preparing a wonderful dish, and then having someone smother ketchup all over it.

It's "show business", not "show film making". In the end, studio film making is all about the marketing engine and money.

Don't take what I'm saying as I'm in favor for making bland, high budget crap. I'm really not. I hate the bland, boring films that are being pumped out en masse. The thing is they're being pumped out by both the studios and indie films alike. One thing to consider, one persons pile of garbage is another persons gold mine.

I'm curious to hear any general thoughts! On the article, on studio executives and directors changing a script, on the quality audiences expect today, on writer-director hybrids. What do you think of this issue? In your mind, is it even an issue at all?

I think the problem is money.

As time goes on, movies are costing more and more money, not less. Part of which is the cost of finding an audience is costing more and more money. A while back, you'd be able to make a movie for 2 to 8 mil. Put it in the cinemas and people would take a chance. These days, to get people to see a film, it costs a lot of money to market (I hear $25mil is average). Lets say you get $2mil to make a movie, it'll still cost $27mil to bring to market. It's a lot of money to risk.

Of course this is over simplified. They can spend less to market a small film, but I hope you get the point.

When you're asking people to spend a lot of money (hell, $50k is a lot of money) not only will they want a return on that investment, they'll want some sort of risk mitigation. The more money, the more mitigation is required. This is where star power, director power, comparisons with similar films come into play.

Do I know the fix? Nope. Well not the one you're looking for. I'm guessing you're hoping for a solution where people are willing to spend money taking risks on young, unestablished filmmakers, writers, actors and so on.

Back