New To Production- Basic Stuff ?

I am experienced doing in home things and making music videos on a small scale, but this will be new to me doing things with restaurants, actors with dialogue, etc. It is also my first with real special effects and makeup work involved.

My first question has to do with using structures with names like local cafes and hotels. Can I use their property onscreen and if so, is it better or required to make sure their name is off or ON? In other words, if I shoot a scene of a driver coming out of a parking lot at a motel is that going to be a problem legally for using that in the movie and what about the business sign? I will try and get permission but would like an understanding before approaching anybody.

The other thing I need is a cafe restaurant. There's a business I wrote the part in for and will ask but any words of wisdom with experienced people would be awesome. I'm needing to just take care of the logistical stuff to make the other stuff go smooth once we're rolling.

CAMERA
second question...I have a mid level but not pro level kind of camera that can work for some stuff but I will need something with real zoom and lens. Any recommendations for a good lower end video camera to aim for? Need a workhorse with a reliable track record under $100/day if can be.

What do you pay an actor for like a six hour day? Is $50 cash an insult? I mean, my budget is not only low but it's LOW. I can do what I can and plan ahead, but don't want to insult people I'm setting up to audition. They are getting food, transportation, prominent credit in the trailer and full film, if the short generates backing for a greater production then they will probably be the actors first wanted for the same roles, etc. But cash, I just honestly have little clue. I've worked with friends before mostly or models who were not after much cash.

I'm avoiding night shoots but would like to have something going on at night. It's a coastal location with forests, beautiful ocean waves, lots of wildlife so the moonlight scenery would be perfect for the movie. Unfortunately the dinky camera I'm using for prep (expensive Cybershot) gets about zero exposure at night without huge lighting efforts.

Thanks!!

DWP

What do you pay an actor for like a six hour day? Is $50 cash an insult?

It is to some, it isn't to others.

While I haven't done professional productions, I've managed to get away without having to pay actors. In this area, so long as it isn't a "for profit" production, it's quite acceptable to ask for a freebie. You won't always get the best, but there are always those who will be interested.

I did a call out for an unpaid short. I posted on Starnow, my contacts and on a couple local facebook groups and got literally hundreds of applications to audition for the roles.

On another film, I didn't advertise, I personally asked particular actors I had either worked with or knew if they wanted to act. I had about 10 roles to fill. I made my wish list and approached those actors. 8 out of 10 accepted on the spot. The others had scheduling conflicts and had to go to my second choice.

New To Production- Basic Stuff ?

Get the sound right. Your project will only look as good as it sounds, because

"Sound is HALF of the experience."

If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic. If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur. Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing.

My first question has to do with using structures with names like local cafes and hotels. Can I use their property onscreen and if so, is it better or required to make sure their name is off or ON? In other words, if I shoot a scene of a driver coming out of a parking lot at a motel is that going to be a problem legally for using that in the movie and what about the business sign? I will try and get permission but would like an understanding before approaching anybody.
In this specific example you're okay. Best, however, to avoid all trademarks
if possible.
The other thing I need is a cafe restaurant. There's a business I wrote the part in for and will ask but any words of wisdom with experienced people would be awesome. I'm needing to just take care of the logistical stuff to make the other stuff go smooth once we're rolling.
Only the obvious: tell them the exacts dates and times you will need their
cafe. Tell then exactly how many people will be there during the shoot. Be
prepared to pay any staff who will be affected.
CAMERA
second question...I have a mid level but not pro level kind of camera that can work for some stuff but I will need something with real zoom and lens. Any recommendations for a good lower end video camera to aim for? Need a workhorse with a reliable track record under $100/day if can be.
Renting? Look at the Canon 7d or 5d.
What do you pay an actor for like a six hour day? Is $50 cash an insult? <snip> They are getting food, transportation, prominent credit in the trailer and full film, if the short generates backing for a greater production then they will probably be the actors first wanted for the same roles, etc.
Same answer as Sweetie. But don't offer a carrot on a stick. Serious actors
do not appreciate this tactic. Offer to treat them well on THIS shoot and
don't offer something you may not be able to deliver.

Back