Stargate Reboot Trilogy

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/mgm-warner-bros-reboot-stargate/

I'm incredibly excited for this - I'm a huge Stargate fan, and can't wait to see it reimagined! I just sincerely hope that these reboot films spark a series again, because I think Stargate lends itself much better to television, given the nature of going through the gate and having a new adventure each week.

Though, I am concerned about it throwing the wonderful collection of shows and film previously with Stargate under the bus... Stargate established some exceptional storylines; it's sort of a shame those won't be revisited. But I guess everything has its time...

Last edited:
So the same guys are doing it? That's cool. Though I wonder if it wouldn't be better for different people to be doing a reboot.

Hope it turns out well.

Hmmm, the TV series has stood the test of time, and so has the movie. I would say do a reboot only if they're outdated, like, say, Buck Rogers or Space: 1999.

Hmmm, the TV series has stood the test of time, and so has the movie. I would say do a reboot only if they're outdated, like, say, Buck Rogers or Space: 1999.
True.

Got to say though that the 2004 Battlestar Galactica reboot blew me away. I loved the original series (1978). The 2004 reboot changed a lot from the original story and added greatly to it. Great series.

True.

Got to say though that the 2004 Battlestar Galactica reboot blew me away. I loved the original series (1978). The 2004 reboot changed a lot from the original story and added greatly to it. Great series.

This is certainly a good point. That's how I feel about rebooting Doctor Who - I'm so very glad they did!

Oh, I'm pretty sure everything is being looked at.

I hope so! But at the same time, I feel content with the G'ould and Ori being gone. (Though they were damn good storylines I'd always love to see more of! And the Wraith are pretty much finished up from Atlantis. I think my only wish would be the expansion of the Ori plots. Those were absolutely fantastic, and only got two seasons to take their course, which never completed until the TV movies later on. So, I suppose I'd really love the introduction of some interesting new baddies.

I think the parts that should be revisited, however, are some of the locations and races that they interacted with. I want to see the Furlings! They told Stargate fans they'd introduce them for ten years and never did!

I realize now, this post may mean nothing to those who haven't watched the show. Oh well..

I never watched the series past the first few episodes so for me I think it's great that the movie is going to get follow ups, as I never really gained any interest in the television series.

Coming back to this thread, I wonder if anything has been happening to the reboot. I am particularly interested, because it became a major franchise, and its first series, SG-1, lasted 10 seasons. I am particularly interested in this, because it was a movie that wasn't supposed to succeed but it did, and it became a major franchise.

SG-1, by the way, focused on plot, not characters, so it took a different approach from the oirginal Star Trek. Any comments?

Of course it took a different approach from the original Star Trek. They were decades apart. As time goes on, audiences become more film savvy. Tastes then change.

I love Stargate Anything, watched the movie and all the TV series.
Sad that SGU got canned but they brought that on themselves.

As for a "Reboot" I'm not sure why its needed as well, there are plenty of "Stargate" story lines in the overall universe that they could persue without needing to rely on a reboot and "Ra" (assuming they go there). I'd rather see a movie (or trilogy) that pushes the brand forward then go back, but at the end of the day more Stargate anything is a good thing as far as I can see.

Last edited:
My point was that Stargate focused more on plot, while Star Trek focused more on characters.

Indeed, you could watch star trek in almost any order (except for the movies were somewhat linear); whereas for Star Gate there was a overall arc so watching out of order really messed things up; Although yes, some episodes were self encapsulating.

But that is the nature of today`s series - they are more story arc focused because that is what keeps people's attention.

Back