who pays for more expensive indies to get made?

Since there's not much guarantee of money back I don't get it. In your eyes'. So a small prod company actually fronted a mil for this mediocre film?

Since there's not much guarantee of money back I don't get it. In your eyes'. So a small prod company actually fronted a mil for this mediocre film?

Somewhere along the line, someone convinced someone with money about the glamour of being in the 'movie business' and this particular script was the investor(s) in to the lifestyle of the Hollywood movie biz. :yes:

The truth is there are no guarantees of success, even in the studio system.

The answer to your question is often a combination of tax credits/grants, private investors, pre-sales, bridge financing, deferred payments and lately (to a lesser degree) crowd funding.

Ok, now I get your question. I had assumed you were just asking where people get financing for a film.

I don't know any particulars about this film, so it's speculative.

It could be multiple things. A producer goes to a financier and asks for money for a film. The first question is usually, "Who's in it?" While names don't guarantee financing by a long shot, anyone who is asked for a $1 mil budget for Joss Whedon's next film may just green light it on that alone, seeing he directed a film recently that grossed over a billion worldwide.

Another possibility, can be part of a package deal. If a director is teetering on the edge to joining a film, a company can occasionally agree to finance a passion project if they also agree to do another film (and perhaps hit some milestones).

Ultimately, the audiences pay for films to be made.

That's what filmmakers need to keep in mind. You are attempting to manufacture a product that consumers will buy. Investors want, at the very least, to recoup their investment, but are really hoping for substantial profits. This is not gambling where you just shoot the dice and hope for the best, but a cold, calculated business venture.

So when attempting to finance a project you need to convince your potential investors that there is a very good chance for ROI and profits.. That means a very, very solid script, and an extremely thorough financial breakdown; always remember that, no matter how creative you believe yourself to be, the entertainment industry is still a business, so you must treat it as such.

Overly simplified, but pertinent, and I highly agree with #4:

"If your film looks terrible but has great sound, people might just think it's your aesthetic. If your film looks great and has bad sound, people will think you're an amateur. Sound is the first indicator to the industry that you know what you're doing."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dean-silvers/5-huge-mistakes-youll-mak_b_6058490.html

Since there's not much guarantee of money back I don't get it.

No one ever invests to get their money back! They invest to make a profit, whether that's a financial profit or some other type of profit such as status, power/influence or even personal/emotional. If it were just a case of guaranteed money back why not leave their money in the bank and not invest in anything?

In your eyes'. So a small prod company actually fronted a mil for this mediocre film?

There's two obvious reasons: 1. Misjudgement, the investors believed they were going to get more than a mediocre film, or 2. They got exactly what they expected, both in terms of the quality of the film and their return on investment. Maybe the film is only mediocre by your judgement but exactly right for the target audience/clients to make the projected returns.

G

Back