Oscar Qualification for Short Film

Our short film won an award at a major film festival though not oscar qualifying. We think it's probably prudent to qualify it for the oscars. Even the festivals which we did not get in to noted the story is strong and the production values are impressive. Our film is almost 30 minutes, so I realize it's difficult to fit it in to most festivals, but it's sort of irrelevant for oscar consideration. Many of the films nominated for oscars in the short film category do not play at tons of festivals and are often long 30 mins plus.

Oscar qualification is basically a very expensive lottery ticket, I know this. My question is, has anyone gone through this process? The only theatre we can find in LA that does it is the Laemmle and its basically going to cost 3k when you include the cost of the DCP and all the fees. Anyone know of any other sources for qualification and/or have any advice in general for going through this process?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Anyone know of any other sources for qualification and/or have any advice in general for going through this process?
As you know, your movie must play in a theater for paid admission for
seven consecutive days. But you aren't required to pay a theater to
show your movie. Another source is to work with a distributor who will
book your short in theaters. Yet a nother source is to go door-to-door
and convince a theater owner to show your movie before the feature
for a week.

What festival did you play?

Our short film won an award at a major film festival though not oscar qualifying. We think it's probably prudent to qualify it for the oscars. Even the festivals which we did not get in to noted the story is strong and the production values are impressive. Our film is almost 30 minutes, so I realize it's difficult to fit it in to most festivals, but it's sort of irrelevant for oscar consideration. Many of the films nominated for oscars in the short film category do not play at tons of festivals and are often long 30 mins plus.

Oscar qualification is basically a very expensive lottery ticket, I know this. My question is, has anyone gone through this process? The only theatre we can find in LA that does it is the Laemmle and its basically going to cost 3k when you include the cost of the DCP and all the fees. Anyone know of any other sources for qualification and/or have any advice in general for going through this process?

Thanks!

Just in general for all oscar categories. Page 25 is what you're looking for.:

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/90aa_rules.pdf

I'm fully aware of the requirements. I will go the route suggested here and call the theatres directly. I'd still like to hear from others who have done this process and feel free to PM me for confidentiality.

We played multiple festivals so far, still hoping for more.

I'm on the board of directors of a local cinema in Orange County. Not sure if you are only focused in LA. Feel free to PM with exactly what you are looking for.

In order to qualify for an Oscar the film "...must have been publicly exhibited for
paid admission in a commercial motion picture theater in Los Angeles County for
a run of at least seven consecutive days with at least one screening a day prior
to public exhibition or distribution by any nontheatrical means."

http://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/90aa_short_films.pdf

So unfortunately a theater in Orange County will not work.

Back