Best Shortest Time-Estimates For Best & Most Fantastic CGI Movie

Hello all, I like to ask you what can be the best shortest time-estimates to create the best and most fantastic CGI movie like Star Wars, Warcraft, Ruronin Kenshin, Shinobi: Heart Under Blade and Gantz combined?

Assuming you have all the money to hire as many crew and employees as you want and to hire as many movie production companies as you want?

Cheers.

Welcome to indietalk.

Do you know "The Iron Triangle" of business?
Fast-Good-or-Cheap.jpeg

You ask for good and fast. With enough money you set the time frame.
You could get it done in six to eight weeks IF you can pay top dollar to
two dozen companies. Perhaps more realistic would be one year using
the top ten efx companies.

Kind of fun to think about, isn't it?

Welcome to indietalk.

Fast-Good-or-Cheap.jpeg

two dozen companies. Perhaps more realistic would be one year using

Hi directorik, thank you for replying to me.

According to wiki and other information found online, the entire production cycle of making movies are the following five categories.
Development: The first stage in which the ideas for the film are created, rights to books/plays are bought etc., and the screenplay is written. Financing for the project has to be sought and greenlit.
Pre-production: Preparations are made for the shoot, in which cast and film crew are hired, locations are selected and sets are built.
Production: The raw elements for the film are recorded during the film shoot.
Post-production: The images, sound, and visual effects of the recorded film are edited.
Distribution: The finished film is distributed and screened in cinemas and released to home video.

Are you saying that I can get all the above five categories of film production activities done if I can give enough money top dollar to two dozen companies?

So what kind of money top dollar do you think the entire budget will be?

Please give the budget figure to me. I am very interested in knowing such a budget figure for the good and fast movies.

Thank you.

P.S. Can I also please ask you if your timeline of 6-8 weeks is the shortest timeline possible? I

Is it possible to shrink the time-line to two weeks, assuming I have enough money to pay top dollar to 100 companies?

Last edited:
In my Ideal movies combining Star Wars, Warcraft, Ruronin Kenshin, Shinobi:Heart Under Blade, Gantz, may I know what is the max amount of weeks needed for the actors and actresses to act in the "Production Cycles" of a 3 hour movie?

I have the gut feeling that the "Production Cycles" are the hardest and longest cycles.. assuming one has enough money to pay top dollars to two dozen film companies.

Am I right?

Thank you. :) :yes:

Last edited:
So what kind of money top dollar do you think the entire budget will be?

Please give the budget figure to me. I am very interested in knowing such a budget figure for the good and fast movies.
This is just hypothetical, of course, but I think the budget would be
around $800,000,000. But realistically more than that. Perhaps double.

Is it possible to shrink the time-line to two weeks, assuming I have enough money to pay top dollar to 100 companies?
No. Not possible.

In my Ideal movies combining Star Wars, Warcraft, Ruronin Kenshin, Shinobi:Heart Under Blade, Gantz, may I know what is the max amount of weeks needed for the actors and actresses to act in the "Production Cycles" of a 3 hour movie?
The typical production time for a movie like the ones you mention is 3 months.
For a 3 hour movie it might take 5 months or even 7. Gantz or Shinobi:Heart Under
Blade might only take 8 weeks to shoot.

Hi Directorik, Thank you very much for replying to me asap. :yes:

I am now Creating 3 Japanese Manga Live Action Movies combined with Hollywood Science-Fiction Fantasy Special Effects and Story-Lines.
These 3 movies will of course be back-to-back movies like 3 parts of a whole story like Star Wars 1,2,3.

In these 3 movies, I will cast 80+ Big Names A-List Actors and Actresses.

Since the themes of my movies are Star-Wars/Warcraft/RuroninKenshin/Shinobi:HeartUnderBlade/Gantz combined, all these 80+ Big Names A-List Actors and Actresses will be fighting like Final Fantasy Heroes and Heroines with all manner of Reality-Alteration, Time-Travelling Powers and all other powers.

I will make these 3 movies the Most Beautiful, Most Brilliant, Most Sci-Fi Fantasy movies with the Most Wonderful, Most Realistic CGI Science-Fiction Fantasy Effects ever in the history of film-making.
Of course these 3 movies will be made in the shortest times possible.

This is just hypothetical, of course, but I think the budget would be
around $800,000,000. But realistically more than that. Perhaps double.

No. Not possible.

The typical production time for a movie like the ones you mention is 3 months.
For a 3 hour movie it might take 5 months or even 7. Gantz or Shinobi:Heart Under
Blade might only take 8 weeks to shoot.

Knowing where I am coming from, may I please humbly ask you for your opinions on the best, final, lowest money quotes and shortest time quotes to create 3 separate Back-to-Back Movies of the highest qualities based on the best CGI technologies on the markets world-wide and in the shortest times possible?

Also can you please separate your shortest time-quotes and lowest money-quotes for each category of the film-making processes to make the Best, Highest Qualities Movies.
Developments, Pre-Productions, Productions, Post-Productions, Developments

My financers have a lot of money to spend, but all my financiers want their money to spent most wisely, most efficiently, most effectively.

I have my basic scenarios ready.

Last edited:
Knowing where I am coming from, may I please humbly ask you for your opinions on the best, final, lowest money quotes and shortest time quotes to create 3 separate Back-to-Back Movies of the highest qualities based on the best CGI technologies on the markets world-wide and in the shortest times possible?
This is fun to think about.

Please look at the “iron triangle” again. First you asked for best and fast. That is very expensive. Now
you want fast and cheap. There is no way that can be Best, Highest Quality. You can't have all three,
you only get to pick two.

Development – shortest time: 8 weeks lowest quote: $25,000,000 ( ¥2,791,310,000)

Pre-Production - shortest time:16 weeks lowest quote: $85,000,000 (¥9,490,450,000)

Production - shortest time: 30 weeks lowest quote: $330,000,000 (¥36,845,300,000)

Post Production - shortest time: 40 weeks lowest quote: $800,000,000 (¥89,321,900,000)

Marketing/Distribution - lowest quote: $150,000,000 (¥16,747,800,000)

My financers have a lot of money to spend, but all my financiers want their money to spent most wisely, most efficiently, most effectively.
Spending wisely, efficiently and effectively is important. They should not spend their money in the
shortest times possible
- that is not wise. They can spend a little less and take more time for the
Best, Highest Quality.

This is fun to think about.

Please look at the “iron triangle” again. First you asked for best and fast. That is very expensive. Now
you want fast and cheap. There is no way that can be Best, Highest Quality. You can't have all three,
you only get to pick two.

Development – shortest time: 8 weeks lowest quote: $25,000,000 ( ¥2,791,310,000)

Pre-Production - shortest time:16 weeks lowest quote: $85,000,000 (¥9,490,450,000)

Production - shortest time: 30 weeks lowest quote: $330,000,000 (¥36,845,300,000)

Post Production - shortest time: 40 weeks lowest quote: $800,000,000 (¥89,321,900,000)

Marketing/Distribution - lowest quote: $150,000,000 (¥16,747,800,000)

Spending wisely, efficiently and effectively is important. They should not spend their money in the
shortest times possible
- that is not wise. They can spend a little less and take more time for the
Best, Highest Quality.

Hi your last reply was rather confusing because you said the below.

Welcome to indietalk.

Fast-Good-or-Cheap.jpeg

two dozen companies.
Perhaps more realistic would be one year using

You said that with enough money, I set the time frame to get each movie done in six to eight weeks if I pay top dollar to two dozen companies.

What I want is Best and Fast and Expensive. So out of the iron triangle of business, what I want is Best and Fast which is Expensive, which won't be cheap.

I do not mind if all my movies are the most Expensive movies on the market in the histories of mankind.

You set the quote at $800,000,000 USD.

I was thinking the same figure of $800,000,000 USD for 6-8 weeks for the entire film production cycles of 5 stages - Development, Pre-Production, Production, Post-Production, Distribution & Marketing.

Because this is what you said.

Hi your last reply was rather confusing because you said the below.

You said that with enough money, I set the time frame to get each movie done in six to eight weeks if I pay top dollar to two dozen companies.
Yes, there is some confusion. My first quote was based on your first
post. You did not mention 3 movies. Only one 3 hour movie. I made
a mistake by not taking the production stage into consideration. I
was thinking 6 to 8 weeks of post production only.

I apologize.

I do not believe you can make three movies of the highest quality from
concept to distribution in 8 weeks no matter how much money you spend.

I do not mind if all my movies are the most Expensive movies on the market in the histories of mankind.
Right now the most Expensive movies on the market in the histories of
mankind are the “Avatar” films. The total for all five is estimated to be
$1,800,000,000 – perhaps over 2 billion USD. The next 4 films will take
a total of 11 YEARS from writing to final release.

I was thinking the same figure of $800,000,000 USD for 6-8 weeks for the entire film production cycles of 5 stages - Development, Pre-Production, Production, Post-Production, Distribution & Marketing.

Because this is what you said.
I believe my last quote of $1,390,000,000 and 94 weeks (7.8 years) is as
accurate as a ball park quote can be.

The quotes Rik is giving are guestimates.
He is experienced, so I think they are as good as guesstimations get on complex project without having a breakdown.

80 A-list actors?
I'm not sure what the exact definition of A-list is, but are you sure there are that many actors on the A-list?

Rik is right: with enough money you can dictate the schedule, but it still has to be physically and mentally possible. A gazzillion dollars will not make it possible to create a whole Star Wars movie in just 1 day.
CGI and VFX are processes that can be parallelized, but the more is done at the same time, the more supervision you need to keep everything and everyone on the same page.

Rik is right: with enough money you can dictate the schedule, but it still has to be physically and mentally possible. A gazzillion dollars will not make it possible to create a whole Star Wars movie in just 1 day.

Makes me think of the old joke that if it takes one woman 9 months to have a baby, can't we use 9 women to do it in 1 month? :)

Exactly!

It's fun to think about what you can do with unlimited funds, like
One Billion Dollars. But even if you can find 80+ big name and A-list
actors and pay them each $30,000,000 (which is $2,400,000,000)
they still cannot finish shooting 3 movies in 6 days. And on an 8 week
schedule for “the entire film production cycles of 5 stages” that's all
you get; 6 days of production. Sure, you could hire the top 100 efx
houses (if there are that many) and pay them each $50,000,000 for
two weeks of work, but there are still only 336 hours in those weeks.
Even FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS can't change time.

In my estimate I ignored the statement about “80+ Big Names A-List
Actors and Actresses” because as you can see that would make the total
budget over FOUR BILLION USD. At $1 = ¥112 that's FOUR HUNDRED
FORTY-EIGHT BILLION JPY. Again, it's fun to think about, but there
comes a point when even full-on fantasy speculation crosses a line.

Maybe with the time estimate could be 2 years per film – so 6 years
rather than 7.8 years.

When you have the money I'd love to take a shot at putting together a
real schedule. I estimate 3 weeks and a cost of $80,000.

Thank you for this, V-Origin, it's fun.

Back