making a film while on psychedelics??

whats your opinion on this ???

making "trippy" out there short films on delics to really get the true effects??

dumb ??? or great way to capture whats really going on in the mind of someone under the influence?

only trying to get opinions??? thats all...not just me. just anyone thats on something making a film.
And that's what you're getting - opinions.

And along with my opinion I also have questions. Is that okay or
do only want opinions and no discussion?

If you take psychedelics and press play on a video camera will you
be able to really get the true effects of being under the
influence? Will you really be able to show the world in a
different point of view? Will the camera be able to catch the
inner workings of a mind on psychedelic drugs or will it just be
shaky?

Does the camera itself know the mind set of the person using it?
If I have a terrible flu and make a movie is that a better way to
capture what’s really going on in the mind of a very sick person?

I think you should not only write and shoot the movie while on
psychedelics but you should also do all the editing and post
audio while on psychedelics.

take acid or shrooms or whatever and think about your movie. make notes, write what you're seeing, think about a story to go with that, then use that experience to write a movie when you're sober. maybe for some people it doesnt work, but for me if i'm in a creative bind, getting a little stoned helps you think differently. but i wouldnt recommened tripping on acid while you're making the movie! because of exactly what directork said, you'll think its bad ass when you're doing it but when you look at it later its just shaky footage of people on drugs. which isnt as fun to watch as it might sound haha

If people can't be creative without getting high, then I don't think they're pursuing the right career. People with true creative tallent should be able to come up with ideas on their own.
Also don't people have dreams anymore, they're full of crazy ideas to use and you don't need to take any drugs to experience them.

You obviously cant really make a movie if you are on some trippy drugs, as you woudlnt get anything done, a movie about making a movie on drugs sounds like a interesting concept though.

I group of friends who see fear and loathing decide to steal cameras and try make a movie on drugs in ermmm Cornwall. LOL.

Countevil: I have such a twisted dream today as I took a a few hour nap and let me tell you, when I get around to writing it, it's going to be one of those films like Man Bites Dog

Countevil: I have such a twisted dream today as I took a a few hour nap and let me tell you, when I get around to writing it, it's going to be one of those films like Man Bites Dog
Awesome, hope you get something good out of it.
One of my projects I'm writing is based entirely on a dream. It was such a perfectly formed story I had to write it down.

As I understand it things made under the influence of drugs seem really good at the time. However when you look at it when your not high, you soon realise it's actually really bad. Drugs aiding creativity is a myth.

I think this is a very rigid statement. My drawings have been enhanced noticeably by psilocybin mushrooms. The whole method by which I approach the human form changed considerably after a very lengthy drawing session and a heavy dose of psilocybin. While on the drug I created one of my most technically impressive illustrations. And during its creation it was as though I was channeling some external intelligent force. It is a very beautiful experience, and one that can not be so easily dismissed. Drugs certainly shape and impact art, particularily music. Its effect is obviously subjective... But I can guaranty that The Beatles, Jimmi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, The Doors, etc. etc. would have made much different music had they not indulged in psychedelics.

That being said, making a film is not like drawing, or making music. Your creativity is not the only tool you have when making a film. You need to reason, plan, contemplate, operate complicated equipment, and so on. It would be very hard to stay focused. I think kgasser had the right idea when he said, come up with the ideas and the concepts while on the drug and then actually create the film later, while sober.

Psychedelics feed your ideas. But when it comes to something as demanding as shooting a film, chances are they would make you pretty useless. Unless of course you were a genius with a camera and an experienced tripper, then perhaps you could make some experimental, improvisational film. Chances are it would be shit, but I suppose its possible.

This is from an old interview Stanley Kubrick did with Playboy magazine, right after 2001 came out, and illuminates a lot of the reservations you are hearing:

PLAYBOY: Have you ever used LSD or other so-called consciousness-expanding drugs?

STANLEY KUBRICK: No. I believe that drugs are basically of more use to the audience than to the artist. I think that the illusion of oneness with the universe, and absorption with the significance of every object in your environment, and the pervasive aura of peace and contentment is not the ideal state for an artist. It tranquilizes the creative personality, which thrives on conflict and on the clash and ferment of ideas. The artist's transcendence must be within his own work; he should not impose any artificial barriers between himself and the mainspring of his subconscious. One of the things that's turned me against LSD is that all the people I know who use it have a peculiar inability to distinguish between things that are really interesting and stimulating and things that appear so in the state of universal bliss the drug induces on a "good" trip. They seem to completely lose their critical faculties and disengage themselves from some of the most stimulating areas of life. Perhaps when everything is beautiful, nothing is beautiful.

IF drugs aid creativity I personally would guess it would be be more "organic" art forms like drawing, painting, even writing where a lot of the inspiration takes place in the moment. Film is an extremely technical process as a rule, I can maybe see wanting to do a little mood control with cigarettes what have you... full out psychedelics? I can't imagine that being an awesome production. But then, I don't get high.

However, I'm not sure that a lot of speculation/opinions about this is going to be helpful to you. If you are curious about what would happen, do it. Don't spend money on it the first time you try it, don't plan on doing anything that would be remotely risky. Realize that you are trying something experimental, and be cool if other people don't connect with what you are doing.

It takes an exceptional mind to be able to drink or do drugs and put together a strong piece of work, whether it's cinematic, musical or literary. The talent of a person who can do that is one whose talent is already so extraordinary, so overwhelming that virtually nothing except possibly time can dull it down or shortchange its potential.

A talent like that usually burns itself out with substance abuse and/or madness at some point.

My advice would be to continue developing the talent portion. Artists like the ones I described above don't come along very often, and it's usually not worth the risk of trying to find out if you are one or not.

Generally, you know.

I will judge you fact that you said "develop tactical comm systems for the gov and make six figures"

1) I find it hard to believe that someone who does that would be in a place like this.
---

Back to the OP. I fail to see why you would even ask us this in the first place since it's just going to be for your friends? And I'm not being a dick, what were you thinking we were going to say?

You'd be surprised who is in a place like this. Nice to see you think so little of yourself and this site.

sounds like a really cool idea and i definitely think some writers are on psychedelics or other mind altering substances while writing especially some really good comedies. but i agree that filming while high may take away from the perspective your trying to get across and it may be a better idea to take some shrooms and try to note your experience in a detailed manner and then film it sober while using camera tricks and post production to best show how you felt

I still havent given up hope on making something of its kind, but i think it could be an interesting watch if things are used correctly and mind power used right.

never even said it was me making the film, im just helping someone that is.

Back