Films I Think I Should Be Able To Shoot

Do you ever watch a relatively technically simple film and think "You know... I should be able to shoot something like this"?

Never mind the actor paychecks and union rigmarole.

No helicopter shots.
No exotic locales.
No freaky special effects.
No CGI-fests.

Just some straight forward camerawork + audio collection in sensible settings with straight forward acting between plausible characters, largely due to your (excellent) writing.

I've a small list of films that when I watch them I think I should be able to do.
Or at least aspire to become that good at a minimum.

In no particular order:
  • Juno : $7.5m budget, Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL, Panavision Primo Lenses
  • The Messenger : $6.5m budget, Arricam LT, Cooke S4 and Angenieux Optimo Lenses
  • Winter's Bone : $2.0m budget, Red One Camera, Zeiss Master Prime and Angenieux Optimo Lenses
  • Defendor : $3.5m budget, Panavision Cameras and Lenses
  • Super : $2.5m budget, Red One Camera
  • Silent House : $2.0m budget, non EOS 5D Mark II, Zeiss Compact Prime Lenses
  • 50/50 : $8.0m budget, Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL2, Panavision Primo Lenses
  • Martha Marcy May Marlene : <$1.0m budget, Arricam LT, Zeiss Master Prime and Angenieux Optimo Lenses
  • Like Crazy : $0.25m budget, Canon EOS 7D, Zeiss Ultra Prime Lenses
  • 127 Hours : $18.0m budegt, Canon EOS 1D Mark IV, 5D Mark II, 7D, Moviecam Compact MK2, Zeiss Ultra Prime and Cooke Panchro Lenses

With a "modest" budget:
  • Valhalla Rising : ~$6.0m budget, Red One Camera
  • A Mighty Heart : $16m budget, Sony HDW-F750
  • Margin Call : $3.4m budget, Red One MX, Zeiss Standard Speed and Angenieux Optimo Lenses
  • Whip It : $10m budget, Arriflex 235, Panavision C-Series Lenses, Panavision Panaflex Platinum, Panavision C- and E-Series Lenses
  • Be Kind Rewind : $20.0m budget, Arricam ST, Cooke Xtal Express Lenses

I'm sure I'm forgetting some others, but it's the idea that grates me at times.

What do you watch and think "You know... I should be able to shoot something like this"?

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind tackling scripts along the lines of Blue Velvet, The Station Agent, Albino Alligator, American Buffalo or even Glengarry Glen Ross. Not suggesting they'd be easy by any stretch!

Casting would be critical.

* hah. just realized two of those films are David Mamet plays. Maybe I should be directing theater instead of film! :P

Last edited:
Films I feel I should be able to make

I liked the movie Safety Not Guaranteed, but I wouldn't be able to get the special effects for the ending...

I should be able to shoot a movie like Clerks. I can't think right now. I am always looking for movies that had the story, budget and aesthetics to make it to exhibition.

I saw "Primer" up in SF a few years ago, guy at Blockbuster recommended it, and the cool part about it is how low its budget was to complete. Also the process of making it was inspiring, showing that with passion and determination great movies can be made. Story was awesome too. Dark and confusing like "Memento" and maybe a little bit like "safety not guaranteed" because of the time machine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primer_(film)

Check it Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CC60HJvZRE

Depends on what we're talking about here... A lot of these films may look simple to shoot, but there's a lot more to it than just setting up camera.

I think movies like Beasts of the Southern Wild or Like Crazy are certainly doable for those on a very low budget as they are cheap(er) formats and shot mostly with available lighting (I think the most expensive piece of equipment on Beasts was the Easyrig). But when you start talking about films like No Country For Old Men, you're forgetting about the massive amounts of crew, equipment, and money that just goes into lighting all of the scenes, even forgetting about the fact that they shot on 35mm.
(Sigh with a smile) C'mon, Jax. Quit bustin' my balls. You know what I'm talking about here.

Just like I stated in the OP:
  • No helicopter shots.
  • No exotic locales.
  • No freaky special effects.
  • No CGI-fests.

This means http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_in_film#2011_films
No Season of the Witch because the costumes and the sets and the CGI are absurdly expensive.
No The Green Hornet because the locations and hardware and action are too expensive.
No The Eagle because the period costumes and locations and actors are too expensive.
No The Adjustment Bureau because the locations alone are too expensive.
No Battle: Los Angeles because the locations and uniforms and hardware and CGI and helicopter shots are too expensive.
No Red Riding Hood because the costumes and sets are too expensive.
No Sucker Punch because the sets and CGI are too expensive.
No The King's Speech because the costumes and settings are too expensive.
No Thor
No Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
No The Hangover Part II
No X-Men: First Class
No Super 8
No Green Lantern
No Transformers: Dark of the Moon
No Zookeeper
No Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2

Shall I continue?

Of course I know some heavy lighting was involved with NCFOM.
But...
But...
Could you rustle together three central actors + a half dozen secondaries, drag them around to several locations around any given city, and with a heavy modification of the outline of NCFOM make something a little better than something "Sweded?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIEvEJd6vi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xsON0CkhLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4dnbept_xk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMFM9-iFAs4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmHN7cG0Bxg

Jax, I believe you could.

I'm not forgetting anything.

I'm just looking for films with simple construct.
  • No Strings Attached & Friends with Benefits - haven't seen them, but I bet they're doable.
  • Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives - It's pretty fruity, but possible.
  • Win Win - Doable
  • Meek's Cutoff - Boring @ss film, but I bet a contemporary version could be jury-rigged.
  • The Beaver - Eh... possible.
  • The Tree of Life - Some of the creation stuff might be problematic. Certainly the dino stuff.
  • Beautiful Boy - Doable
  • Bad Teacher - Getting a school and all those kids is problematic.
  • Larry Crowne - Almost doable
  • Our Idiot Brother - Doable
  • Take Shelter - If you can handle the limited CGI...

EDIT: There are films that ONLY major studios or mini-major or someone with some serious cashola could pull off.
I'm looking for films lo/no budget (<$1m) indies could pull off in some form or fashion.

Last edited:
Has anyone mentioned horror films? Most of a horror film's suspense is in the writing and execution (oh the pun) and not the special effects etc.
I'm not a film maker but I think something like Paranormal Activity could be done very easily (assuming you're creative enough and good at creating suspense etc, goes without saying).

With the right knowledge, animation can be done on the cheap too, if you develop your own style that doesn't need 100 or so render farms.

(Sigh with a smile) C'mon, Jax. Quit bustin' my balls. You know what I'm talking about here.

;)

Of course I know some heavy lighting was involved with NCFOM.
But...
But...
Could you rustle together three central actors + a half dozen secondaries, drag them around to several locations around any given city, and with a heavy modification of the outline of NCFOM make something a little better than something "Sweded?"

Heh.. Yeah, I guess. I was originally under the impression we were looking for films that were completely replicable for a low budget film

EDIT: There are films that ONLY major studios or mini-major or someone with some serious cashola could pull off.
I'm looking for films lo/no budget (<$1m) indies could pull off in some form or fashion.

Ah, right :)

Well then, what about:

Crazy, Stupid, Love
Hitchcock
The Social Network
Moonrise Kingdom
Pitch Perfect
This Is 40
Beasts of the Southern Wild

Last edited:
Tiny Furniture(Winner at SXSW)
Good one. Boring film, but simple.

A lot of critics derided CATCH .44 as a poor Tarantino rip-off, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought is was right on target.
Yeah, I don't really care if they're good or not, just something to rip off ideas from and test sequences from.

I wouldn't mind tackling scripts along the lines of Blue Velvet, The Station Agent, Albino Alligator, American Buffalo or even Glengarry Glen Ross. Not suggesting they'd be easy by any stretch!
Ah! Blue Velvet would be perfect! Although I severely dislike the "dysfunction as entertainment" genré!
I do like The Station Agent, though. Good film.
I'll hunt down the remaining three!

Pfft! WHAT in filmmaking is easy? :lol:

Safety Not Guaranteed... Clerks.

I saw "Primer" up in SF a few years ago...
Yep, couple of goodies.
Primer is a wee slow, but certainly proves the principle I'm looking for!

Has anyone mentioned horror films? Most of a horror film's suspense is in the writing and execution (oh the pun) and not the special effects etc.
I'm not a film maker but I think something like Paranormal Activity could be done very easily (assuming you're creative enough and good at creating suspense etc, goes without saying).
Yep, PA is a nice one, but the whole "shot by home security cam" is kinda "owned" by Oren Peli.

Heh.. Yeah, I guess. I was originally under the impression we were looking for films that were completely replicable for a low budget film.

Well then, what about:
Crazy, Stupid, Love
Hitchcock
The Social Network
Moonrise Kingdom
Pitch Perfect
This Is 40
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Close. Something that could be sensibly replicated.
I'm pretty sure if someone tried to pull of X-Men: First Class or Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows with a few locations and Canon 5D it'd look like shite.

Good titles! TY!

Last edited:
I caught another one over the weekend that would be simple as pie and take no budget to shoot - I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With.

I'd seen it a few years ago but forgot about it. It might have one or two slider shots and maybe a simple small jib shot here and there, but for 99% of the film the camera is locked down on a tripod.

Last edited:
I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With - 5/10
This is definitely doable with the right location resources, although I have to agree with the following:
John Maynard in The Washington Post scorned the movie, writing, "A better awkward title would be 'Random Events of a Failed Actor Plodding the Streets of Chicago.'"

While the DP ensured all the shots were colorful and well lit, they often looked "meh."
And the five person sound crew did great.
Note to self: don't do the former, but do the latter. ;)

Thanks for the headzup on this one, 5AF. :yes:

Master List to begin overanalyzing at an as yet indeterminite time:

Code:
1	Valhalla Rising					1 Adventure	2 Action		Drama
2	Hell Ride					1 Adventure	2 Action		Drama
3	Into the Wild					1 Adventure		Biography	Drama
4	127 Hours					1 Adventure		Biography	Drama
5	Cast Away					1 Adventure			Drama
6	Hobo with a Shotgun				2 Action	5 Thriller		Comedy
7	Machete						2 Action	5 Thriller		
8	Catch .44					2 Action	5 Thriller		Drama
9	The Spirit					2 Action	8 Crime		Comedy
10	Super						2 Action		Comedy	Drama
11	Defendor					2 Action		Comedy	Drama
12	Chernobyl Diaries				3 Sci-Fi	4 Horror		
13	Primer						3 Sci-Fi	5 Thriller		Drama
14	Safety Not Guaranteed				3 Sci-Fi		Comedy	Romance
15	Silent House					4 Horror	5 Thriller		Drama
16	Insidious					4 Horror	5 Thriller		
17	Trailer Park of Terror				4 Horror	5 Thriller		
18	Paranormal Activity				4 Horror	6 Mystery		
19	Buried						5 Thriller	6 Mystery		Drama
20	Blue Velvet					5 Thriller	6 Mystery	8 Crime	
21	Memento						5 Thriller	6 Mystery		
22	No Country For Old Men				5 Thriller	8 Crime		Drama
23	Albino Alligator				5 Thriller	8 Crime		Drama
24	Day Night Day Night				5 Thriller	8 Crime		Drama
25	Margin Call					5 Thriller			Drama
26	Take Shelter					5 Thriller			Drama
27	Following					6 Mystery	8 Crime		Drama
28	Shuttle						6 Mystery	8 Crime		Drama
29	Winter's Bone					6 Mystery			Drama
30	Beasts of the Southern Wild			7 Fantasy			Drama
31	Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives	7 Fantasy			Drama
32	The Tree of Life				7 Fantasy			Drama
33	Robot & Frank					8 Crime			Comedy	Drama
34	Croupier					8 Crime				Drama
35	Juno							Comedy	Romance		Drama
36	Larry Crowne						Comedy	Romance		Drama
37	Crazy, Stupid, Love					Comedy	Romance		Drama
38	Moonrise Kingdom 					Comedy	Romance		Drama
39	Pitch Perfect 						Comedy	Romance		Music
40	No Strings Attached					Comedy	Romance		
41	Friends with Benefits					Comedy	Romance		
42	I Want Someone To Eat Cheese With			Comedy	Romance		
43	This Is 40						Comedy			
44	Clerks							Comedy			
45	Bad Teacher						Comedy			
46	jay and silent bob					Comedy			
47	Whip It							Comedy		Sport	Drama
48	Win Win							Comedy		Sport	Drama
49	50/50							Comedy			Drama
50	Be Kind Rewind						Comedy			Drama
51	Henry Poole Is Here					Comedy			Drama
52	Tiny Furniture						Comedy			Drama
53	The Station Agent					Comedy			Drama
54	Our Idiot Brother					Comedy			Drama
55	The Social Network						Biography	Drama
56	A Mighty Heart							Biography	Drama
57	The Messenger							Romance		Drama
58	Martha Marcy May Marlene							Drama
59	Like Crazy							Romance		Drama
60	The Hunt									Drama
61	Festen/The Celebration								Drama
62	Like Crazy							Romance		Drama
63	The Art of Getting By						Romance		Drama
64	Crazy Heart							Romance	Music	Drama
65	The Vow								Romance		Drama
66	American Buffalo								Drama
67	Glengarry Glen Ross								Drama
68	Meek's Cutoff								Western	Drama
69	The Beaver									Drama
70	Beautiful Boy									Drama
71	Dead Man's Bounty							Western

Anyone wanna toss out a few more? :yes:

Elements of Adventure films: Popular concepts
  • An outlaw fighting for justice or battling a tyrant (e.g., Robin Hood, Zorro or Star Wars)
  • Suspense and dangerous situations the characters must escape from.
  • Pirates (e.g., Captain Blood or Pirates of the Caribbean)
  • A journey or quest of some kind, such as searching for a lost city or for hidden treasure (e.g., King Solomon's Mines or Indiana Jones)
  • The Campbellian hero-myth cycle, coming of age, discovery of one's destiny (e.g., Star Wars, Dune, Lord of the Rings).
  • Allegorical themes as social commentary (e.g., Planet of the Apes or Star Trek)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_adventure_films_of_the_2010s
Code:
Centurion	Costume adventure
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader	Fantasy adventure
Clash of the Titans	Fantasy adventure
The Expendables	War adventure
Gulliver's Travels	Fantasy adventure
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I	Fantasy adventure
The Last Airbender	
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole		
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time	
Robin Hood	
The Sorcerer's Apprentice	Adventure comedy
Toy Story 3	Adventure comedy
Tron: Legacy	Science fiction adventure
The Adventures of Tintin	
Cars 2	Family-oriented adventure
Conan the Barbarian	
The Eagle	
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II	Fantasy adventure
Immortals	
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides	
Puss in Boots	Family-oriented adventure
Rango	Family-oriented adventure
Rio	Family-oriented adventure
Sanctum	Adventure drama
Spy Kids: All the Time in the World	
Thor	Fantasy adventure
The Three Musketeers	
Brave	Family-oriented adventure film
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey	Fantasy adventure
Ice Age: Continental Drift	Family-oriented adventure film
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island	
Kon-Tiki	Adventure drama
Life of Pi	
The Pirates! Band of Misfits	Family-oriented adventure
Rise of the Guardians	Family-oriented adventure
Wrath of the Titans

Action Film
A film genre where one or more heroes are thrust into a series of challenges that require physical feats, extended fights and frenetic chases. It tends to feature a resourceful character struggling against incredible odds, which may involve life-threatening situations, an evil villain, and/or being pursued, with victory achieved at the end after difficult physical efforts and violence. While action films have traditionally been a reliable source of revenue for movie studios, relatively few action films garner critical praise, mainly because of their two-dimensional heroes or villains. Nevertheless, Hollywood has been making more action films than ever, in part because advancements in CGI have made it cheaper and easier to create action sequences and other visual effects that required professional stunt crews and dangerous staging in the past. However, the audience reactions to action films containing significant amounts of CGI have been mixed, and films where computer animation is not highly believable are often met with criticism. While action has long been a recurring element in films, the "action film" genre began to develop in the 1970s with the increase of stunts and special effects. The genre is closely linked with the thriller and adventure film genres, and it may sometimes have elements of spy fiction and espionage.

Sub-genres
  • Action comedy - A sub-genre involving action and humor. The sub-genre became a popular trend in the 1980s when actors who were known for their background in comedy such as Eddie Murphy, began to take roles in action films. The action scenes within the genre are generally lighthearted and rarely involve death or serious injury. Comedy films such as Dumb & Dumber and Big Momma's House that contain action-laden sub-plots are not considered part of the genre as the action scenes have a more integral role in action comedies. Examples of action comedies include 48 Hrs. (1982), Beverly Hills Cop (1984), Midnight Run (1988) and Bad Boys (1995).
    [*]Action horror - A subgenre combining the intrusion of an evil force, event, or supernatural personage of horror movies with the gunfights and frenetic chases of the action genre. Themes or elements often prevalent in typical action-horror films include gore, demons, vicious animals, vampires and, most commonly, zombies. This category also fuses the fantasy genre. Examples include Army of Darkness, Resident Evil, Ghost Rider, Planet Terror, Undead, Doomsday, Underworld, Constantine, Priest, Dawn of the Dead, Deep Rising, From Dusk till Dawn, Blade, Legion and End of Days.
    [*]Die Hard scenario - The story takes place in limited location; a single building, plane, or vessel - which is seized or under threat by enemy agents, but are opposed by a single hero who fights an extended battle within the location using stealth and cunning to attempt to defeat them.This sub-genre began with the film Die Hard and has become popular in Hollywood because of its crowd appeal and the relative simplicity of building sets for such a constrained piece. These films are sometimes described as "Die Hard on a...". Among the many films that have copied this formula are Under Siege (terrorists take over a ship), Broken Arrow (rerrorists hijack a nuclear weapon from a B-2 bomber), Snakes on a Plane (poisonous snakes take over a passenger plane), Speed, Under Siege 2: Dark Territory and Derailed (hostages are trapped on a train), Sudden Death (terrorists take over an Ice Hockey stadium), Passenger 57, Executive Decision and Air Force One (hostages are trapped on a plane), Con Air (criminals take over a transport plane), and Half Past Dead and The Rock (criminals or terrorists take over a prison). Paul Blart: Mall Cop is a recent spoof of this trend (as Die Hard in a mall).
    [*]Disaster film - Having elements of thriller and sometimes science fiction films, the main conflict of this genre is some sort of natural or artificial disaster, such as floods, earthquakes, hurricanes, volcanoes, etc., or nuclear disasters that are shown with heavy action scenes, special effects, over the top destruction and, in modern day, use of CGI. Examples include Independence Day, Daylight, Earthquake, 2012,[15] The Day After Tomorrow,[16] Poseidon, The Towering Inferno, Dante's Peak, Deep Impact, Volcano, The Core, Armageddon and Twister.
    [*]Martial arts - A sub-genre of the action film, martial arts films contain numerous fights between characters, usually as the films' primary appeal and entertainment value, and often as a method of storytelling and character expression and development. Martial arts films contain many characters who are martial artists, and these roles are often played by actors who are real martial artists. If not, actors frequently train in preparation for their roles, or the action director may rely more on stylized action or filmmaking tricks. Martial films include The Karate Kid, Kung Fu Hustle, Fearless, Ninja Assassin, Ong-Bak, Shanghai Noon, Kill Bill, Fist of Legend, Iron Monkey, Drunken Master, Enter the Dragon, Mortal Kombat, The Raid: Redemption, Flashpoint, Champion of Death, Karate Bearfighter, Doberman Cop, Golgo 13: Assignment Kowloon and The Street Fighter series.
    [*]Sci-fi action - Sharing many of the conventions of a science fiction film, sci-fi action films emphasizes gunplay, space battles, invented weaponry, and other sci-fi elements weaved into action film premises. Examples include G.I. Samurai, Terminator 2, The Matrix, Total Recall, Minority Report, The Island, Star Trek, Aliens, I, Robot, Transformers, Equilibrium, District 9, Serenity, Akira, Paycheck, Predator, Robocop, Avatar, Mad Max 2 and The Fifth Element.
    [*]Spy film - In which the hero is generally a government agent who must take violent action against agents of a rival government or (in recent years) terrorists. They often revolve spies who are involved in investigating various events, often on a global scale. The subgenre deals with the subject of fictional espionage, either in a realistic way (such as the adaptations of John Le Carré) or as a basis for fantasy (such as James Bond). It is a significant aspect of British cinema, with leading British directors such as Alfred Hitchcock and Carol Reed making notable contributions and many films set in the British Secret Service. The subgenre showcases a combination of exciting escapism, heavy action, stylized fights, technological thrills, and exotic locales. Not all spy films fall in the action genre, only those showcasing heavy action such as frequent shootouts and car chases fall in action, spy films with lesser action would be in the thriller genre (see the spy entry in the subgenres of thriller film). Action films of this subgenre include Casino Royale, the Mission: Impossible franchise, Ronin, True Lies, Salt, From Paris with Love, The International, Patriot Games, xXx, Colombiana and the The Bourne series.
    [*]Superhero film - Usually having elements of science fiction and fantasy, they focus on the actions of one or more superheroes, who usually possess superhuman abilities relative to a normal person and are dedicated to protecting the public. These films are almost always action-oriented, and the first film of a particular character often includes a focus on the origin of the special powers including the first fight against the character's most famous supervillain archenemy. Examples include The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spider-Man, The Avengers, X-Men, The Incredible Hulk and Superman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_action_films_of_the_2010s
Code:
13 Assassins	Martial Arts
14 Blades	Martial Arts
The A-Team
Alien vs Ninja
Bad Blood
Bangkok Knockout
Blades of Blood
The Book of Eli
The Bounty Hunter	Action comedy
The Butcher, the Chef and the Swordsman