Comedy
Sub-Genre:
Mockumentary
Length:
Feature

http://www.anewtomorrowmovie.com

Score:
4/5

Some people might feel that, at this point, the “mockumentary” style has grown a bit stale, rote, run-of-the-mill or that it is simply a way of making a film without having to worry about having a plot or writing dialogue in the conventional sense. If director Carey Corr and writer Carole Parker are among those people, it sure does not show up in this blistering satire of the current political climate in this country, the perhaps ironically titled “A New Tomorrow.” Everyone and everything is fair game for Corr and Parker's savage wit and they, thankfully, take no prisoners. There are no good guys here, nobody is innocent and Corr’s amazing cast mines of every drop of narrative potential out of the richly conceived characacters for the fullest comic effect without ever slipping into cartoonish caricature, thanks to Parker's razor sharp dialogue.

Set in the town of Venison, “A New Tomorrow” focuses on an impending mayoral race as seen through the lens of the not especially bright or talented would-be filmmaker, Joby (Victor Williams), who interviews supporters of both candidates and, inevitably, winds up getting a look into their lives away from the campaign.

While credit for the richness of the vivid characters is due to Carr and Parker, everyone is clearly on the same page and the uniformly talented actors seemed to have bitten deep into their roles and all of them shine, fully bringing to life parts that range from the Democrats: glib advertising guy Brendan (John C. Hansen), his marginally talented artist wife Zara (Anna Vocino), complicated dating service owner Katherine (Katrina Law), her husband, hilarious would-be rocker Steamin’ Dick (Tom O’Keefe) and the nerdy Midge (Eric Bloom). The Republicans include Christian Fundamentalist Faith (Hilary Crouse), Suzy (Jessica Lancaster) straining to be Conservative, Madonna (Erin Cummings) who struggles to conceal her sordid past and maintain her “holier than thou” image and also Amber (Jodi Shilling) a Bible misquoting ditz.

Corr’s well-produced film moves along at a steady clip, and consistently entertains while constantly topping itself as it skewers the inherent hypocrisy that he and Parker seem to know no party boundaries. “A New Tomorrow” is a really welcome breath of acid social criticism that arrives just in time for the homestretch of the 2008 Presidential campaign.

Last edited:
From The Screenwriter

Hi --

Thanks so much for the great review. The director and my friend Carey Corr forwarded the link to me. (What a great website.) It's wonderful to have all your hard work recognized, because, you see -- I wrote the screenplay to A NEW TOMORROW. Carey and I came up with the story, but the script was my baby. (And I'm not terribly maternal.) Again, thank you for your kind words. I look forward to reading your blog in the future, as you obviously have incredible taste in film.

Viva la revolution!

xoxoxo

Carole Parker

Back