Lav Mics: AT803 v. SM93 v. ECM-44B

In your opinion, which lavalier mic would you choose & why?

Audio-Technica AT803B - Mini Clip-On Condenser Mic

Shure SM93 - Micro-Lavalier Omnidirectional Microphone

Sony ECM-44B - Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone

Yeah, all 3 are a step up from what I'm currently using & they are within my budget. I hope to upgrade to "broadcast quality" gear once I have more Patreon supporters.
Sincere thanks again Alcove for the awesome suggestions. Sounds like I'll once again be doing more research. :lol:

If you define what you are currently using, and what your budget cap is, we can probably steer you in a better direction.
Thanks AcousticAl,
Currently using a Royal Voice Clip-on Omnidirectional Condenser 3.5mm lav plugged into a smartphone with recording app set at 44.1 kHz.
Unfortunately, can't spend more than $200 on a lav at the moment, not until The Story Connective has more Patreon supporters.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, can't spend more than $200 on a lav at the moment

Then definitely check out the Oscar Sound Tech lavs. Professional Sound Services has them listed for $200. I haven't used them personally, but the guys on Jeff Wexlers site for production sound pros thought that they were okay, fairly durable and they sound pretty good for the price.

Oscar Sound Tech
http://oscarsoundtech.com/services.html

Professional Sound Services
http://www.pro-sound.com/c/oscar-soundtech-lavaliers.html

JW Sound Group
http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/...ech-tl-40-lav-pics-sound-test/#comment-162786

So around the $200 range there are these lavs:

Countryman EMW Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone with Shelved Frequency Response for $185
This mic seems like the most affordable of the tried-and-true professional brands you listed.
Not a whole lot of reviews. Would this mic likely be better than the Sony ECM-44B?
If so, why?

Audio-Technica AT831B - Cardioid Lavalier Condenser Microphone for $199
I'm assuming the cardioid pattern will be more forgiving in noisy uncontrolled environments than an omni, but I'd run the risk losing audio with a turning of the head if the mic's not properly oriented?

Oscar SoundTech Lavalier Microphone Hardwired to Power Supply for $200
Looks like a great mic, and... there are not many reviews at all out there to go on.

Countryman B3 Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone with 3-Pin XLR Connector $209
Is the only difference between the B3 & the EMW that the EMW is just more rugged than the B3?

Sanken, Tram, & DPA are all outside my budget at the moment, and I appreciate the suggestions. I'll file those names away for a later date. (I also accept donations, hehehe)

Thanks again for the help. This is really awesome; I'm learning so much!!!

Last edited:
Countryman
Sanken
Tram

Alcove, out of interest, is there a reason DPA isn't on your list? I've noticed a lot of people suggesting these (AU Pro soundies group) over the Cos11's.

Lox, if you don't need broadcast grade and you're happy with super cheap, I like the Rode's cheap lav. Under $100. It won't make you cry if you break them at that price. If you can step up a little, Rode's Micon Lav is also good. Its adapters gives you extra options (XLR adapter, 3.5mm etc) that you don't usually see until you hit the more expensive lavs, but the adapters cost extra and occasionally the connection might give you a problem.

I like the Rode's cheap lav. Under $100. It won't make you cry if you break them at that price. If you can step up a little, Rode's Micon Lav is also good. Its adapters gives you extra options (XLR adapter, 3.5mm etc) that you don't usually see until you hit the more expensive lavs, but the adapters cost extra and occasionally the connection might give you a problem.

Rode are pretty good all-round on the price vs quality front. Personally, I find their mics to be adequate and inoffensive... Seem to me to be the kinda mics (almost across the board) that you'd struggle to find someone who really loves them on anything, but finds them perfectly adequate on almost anything...

After further research, I have discovered that the main distinction of the Countryman, DPA, Oscar SoundTech, Sanken, & Tram lavalier microphones is that they are all low profile, low visibility mics designed to be concealed for movie & TV show work.
The Story Connective's work is more akin to Electronic News Gathering (ENG), therefore I'm not concerned if the lav mic is visible.
So, my current list consists of the AT803, SM93, ECM-44B, AT831B, ECM-55B if -according to the experienced among you- the sound quality is up to par on these mics. Of those just listed, I'm currently leaning towards Sony's ECM-44B Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone.

Last edited:
Alcove, out of interest, is there a reason DPA isn't on your list? I've noticed a lot of people suggesting these (AU Pro soundies group) over the Cos11's.

The DPAs may be really good, but I have no personal experience with them and none of the production sound folks I know use them, so I cannot give a thumbs up or thumbs down.

I have discovered that the main distinction of the Countryman, DPA, Oscar SoundTech, Sanken, & Tram lavalier microphones is that they are all low profile, low visibility mics designed to be concealed for movie & TV show work.
That's true of the B6 and to some extent the B3's/trams, it's not the case of the rest of your list. It's the sound they capture + build quality to which professionals make their recommendations.

AT803, SM93, ECM-44B, AT831B, ECM-55B if -according to the experienced among you- the sound quality is up to par on these mics. Of those just listed, I'm currently leaning towards Sony's ECM-44B Omnidirectional Lavalier Microphone.
Never used any of them. Never seen any of those on suggested to be used. It may be for a reason, it might not be, so... Good luck in your choice and let us know how they turn out. If they're a dog, maybe your reporting can help others here avoid them.

Seem to me to be the kinda mics (almost across the board) that you'd struggle to find someone who really loves them on anything, but finds them perfectly adequate on almost anything...
Pretty much. Like the NTG3 to 416. Doesn't 100% match up, but close enough for most prosumer use.

I have no personal experience with them
Fair enough. Everything I've heard, they're amazing. Sound quality and build quality, they're reported to sound better than cos11 and you can swing a monkey on them and they'll last forever. I'm looking forward to trying some a little down the track. If I do, I'll let you know.

Back