Help for a Photography Camera to Make Videos... (Amateur)

Hey, guys.

First, I'd like to apologize if this topic is not allowed or placed in wrong section, but I didn't find any specific section for camera discussion.

So, I want a photography camera that could be used for a amateur movies. I can't afford 2 cameras (one for movies and another for photography).

And I was looking for these specs in cameras:

1) Movie bitrate - at least 50 mbps at 1080p
2) Fps - at least 60fps (~59.94) at 1080p
3) Good Stabilization (don't want to use gimbal or external stabilizers)
4) Flip screen - I need to see myself during recording (or some camera that could be mirrored and controlled by a phone/tablet
5) Camera size - not too big... Mirrorless size is great.
6) Video clip length - at least 20 min
7) Price - $1,000.00 max (body)

I want the camera for some indoor (low light) recordings (music stuff) and eventually in some travels.

Searching for the cameras, I selected these two below:

Olympus OM-D EM-5 MK II
- Excellent stabilization
- Good bitrate
- Good image quality

Sony a6300
- Excellent FPS
- VERY good image quality
- No stabilization - even with stabilized lenses the result is nothing good compared to Olympus
- No flip screen but I can mirror it at my phone

So... Could you help me with this? Any other cameras...?

Thank you.

Last edited:
The stabilization is the thing that's gonna make this really hard to nail down. It just isn't too common in the DSLR world.

The Olympus has stabilization, but every sample I've seen shows that the stabilization makes the picture go soft. Not unexpected.

Stabilization's kind of overrated anyway. It doesn't require a gimbal. The tripod is the first great way to get stable shots. But if you have to go handheld, a small shoulder support rig will do you wonders. It's all in how you handle the camera.

I'm a big fan of Canon's color science. You might take a look at the EOS-80D. The body is just above your stated price limit, but you may be able to find a great deal on used or even Canon refurb. It has everything you want except image stabilization. The bitrate drops when you shoot 1080p60, but it's still above your stated minimum (60Mbps). The 90Mbps 1080p24 is gorgeous. Max clip length is 29:59.

The body isn't as small as mirrorless, but it's not as big as their full-frame camera bodies.

B&H has it on sale right now for $100 less than normal - body only for $1099.

Last edited:
Al, do you think this shoulder rig is okay? It's on the cheap side but the rigs ($36 to $150) are definitely cheaper than the gimbals which are around $400
https://jet.com/product/detail/4fa3...&clickid=8aa6cfa1-9074-467a-80f0-b8fabe3c8de6

I've never been a fan of that design. It's bulky and clumsy. I like compact and streamlined.

At the most basic, even a MagicRig can lend enough support to smooth out some handheld shots:

https://www.amazon.com/Aputure-Magi.../B008BBVKHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506132339

Or this:

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/rl-00ir.htm

Or you can go with something more streamlined:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-FilmM.../B00GTMBA7K/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1506131787

Pro tip: ditch the cross-bar on the handles and mount just one of the handles on the main rail for right-hand holding. That takes out bulk and frees the left hand to deal with zoom/focus.

Other pro tip: if you're gonna get a shoulder rig like that, you'll thank yourself for adding counterweight behind the shoulder:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Alumi.../B01JCJLUJE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1506131787

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the great reply Al.
What if you want to move smoothly when holding the camera either very low to the ground, or high above your head? Is a gimbal better for that?

Thanks a lot for the great reply Al.
What if you want to move smoothly when holding the camera either very low to the ground, or high above your head? Is a gimbal better for that?

Keeping handheld shots stable without a gimbal takes practice, but it's all about how many places your body comes in contact with the camera. A hand on the camera body is one. Add a hand on the lens, 2. Got a viewfinder loupe or an EVF, now you have three. Shoulder pad makes 4. The more contact you have, the easier it is to steady the camera.

Any time you want to hold the camera at an extreme (low or high) that minimizes how much contact you have with the camera, some sort of added stabilization is good to have.

No matter what you use, practice walking the way Steadicam ops learn to walk: strictly below the waist. Keep knees slightly bent, roll your steps from heel to ball. Use your legs as shock absorbers and try to keep your waist and torso completely level (no bounce) in motion.

The stabilization is the thing that's gonna make this really hard to nail down. It just isn't too common in the DSLR world.

The Olympus has stabilization, but every sample I've seen shows that the stabilization makes the picture go soft. Not unexpected.

Stabilization's kind of overrated anyway. It doesn't require a gimbal. The tripod is the first great way to get stable shots. But if you have to go handheld, a small shoulder support rig will do you wonders. It's all in how you handle the camera.

I'm a big fan of Canon's color science. You might take a look at the EOS-80D. The body is just above your stated price limit, but you may be able to find a great deal on used or even Canon refurb. It has everything you want except image stabilization. The bitrate drops when you shoot 1080p60, but it's still above your stated minimum (60Mbps). The 90Mbps 1080p24 is gorgeous. Max clip length is 29:59.

The body isn't as small as mirrorless, but it's not as big as their full-frame camera bodies.

B&H has it on sale right now for $100 less than normal - body only for $1099.

Hey, Al... Thank you for the great help. :)

I'm a big fan of Canon too!!
Some time ago I tried the 60D.

Yeah, you're right, the 80D have all features I'm looking for. Except for the size/weight. That's why I didn't keep the 60D and sold it about 1 year ago...

I'll look for some quality comparison between 80D and the Olympus/Sony, and see how it goes.

I'll check that soft image you said about stabilization. I need to be more attentive to that.I'm not a professional and some things may have gone unnoticed.

Do you thing this "soft image" could be fixed in post production?

Great help Al! :thumbsup:

Back