YouTube -- Can a filmmaker make MONEY?

Probably this question has been asked (but not on the last 3 pages, so it's buried, so ... with your permission)

There was a bit on CBS evening news a few days back, how a few of the most popular YouTube videomakers make "six figures" via a deal to put advertising directly on their YouTube videos. One guy had a "gossip show" etc ...

I think he said he got $10 for every thousand views ...

Can anyone in-the-know share any vital info on this issue?

What are the ways (or sites) where a filmmaker can or might make $$$ and potentially fund their filmmaking, via being paid by views/"hits" ???

Do such sites exist?

If not ... why the HELL not? :huh:

Last edited:
There are some video channels that Google places ads on, and then they add them to their network for publishers to put on their sites. The publishers and video providers make a commission.

six figures? Im sure most normal you tubers who are popular barely make 5 digits. I know Baratz and Bereta personally and they have an exclusive deal. I haven't asked them specifically how much the deal was but I doubt it was six figures.

Last edited:
Well ... I forget the filmmaker's name, but that's what he said, that he makes six figures a year, has a little gossip show (I want to say it's only two minutes long?) They'd given the deal to the top several draws and he was laughing about his unexpected success etc, shoots from his home, shabby in-the-corner set ...

Yes, it was then that I first suspected: There is no justice in this Universe. :hmm:

If he lied to CBS news, well then ... wait, no one would lie to CBS news!

Next you will be telling me that Paris Hilton isn't really saving herself for our Wedding Night, sir!

It could very well be that some guy has a deal with advertisers
that pays him every time someone looks at a video on his page.
Advertisers are willing to pay when views per day reach “six
figures”. If you produce videos and your page views are in the
six figure range every day, YOU can be that guy.

I would think the biggest thing YouTube can offer a potential filmmaker is the chance to make that real money later on down the road, working at a larger project because he/she drew a lot of attention with any number of things they might have done on YouTube.

But from what I can gather, the competition for that is pretty chaotic these days, and a lot of it just seems to be stuff that's derivative of something that's already a sensation on the site.

You Tube

I think YouTube is a great way to get your work out there and find an audience. Not sure about the 6 figure stuff. But then again, the internet provides a global reach.

Regarding filmmaking - YouTube will enable the filmmaker with a good trailer to potentially create buzz. This is because YouTube creates easy to share links and code - and all of this is built in a social networking type community that allows the best clips to garner the most attention. I could write on and on and on about this. But for those of you just starting out in filmmaking, you're so lucky to have a site like YouTube. (And for those of us who started out shooting film - we are also lucky to have YouTube. Hahaha!)

Regarding monetizing the content... Outside of Google Adsense/YouTube, I know MetaCafe once provided payment based on views. I'm not sure if this is still their practice. But it might be worth checking out.

YouTube worked for Kimbo Slice big time!

Also for Journey's new singer Arnel.

That "leave Britney alone" guy got attention from Jimmy Kimmel.

I was contacted by a producer for court TV who was interested in licensing some street fight footage that I had.

But for the most part YouTube is the one making money (off of advertising).

Youtube is ok for showing mates ur videos and some other youtubers but making a living off of it, well thats what films that get released in the cinema are for as far as i'm concerned

My new website

I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure about your rules about blantant advertising in these forums, but I started a website a couple of days ago that will pay filmmakers on a per view basis. You can probably tell what the name is by my user name, but I'm trying to build a library of movies so I can launch the site fully in early March. I'm not offering a huge amount of money ($0.20) per view, but I'm also only charging $0.50 per view. We do everything through Paypal to make it easier on both parties. I'm very laxed on the agreement form because I'm a filmmaker myself just looking for a cheap way to distribute films. Please take a look at the site and let me know what you think.

Back