Panasonic HVX200 question

I just bought an HVX200 and have a question about the "camera-to-monitor" cable connection:

Not counting the USB connection that transfers the P2 card data, there are THREE different video
"outs" on the camera...an S-video, an RCA yellow-red-white, and a composite RGB connector.
Are ALL of these outputs in HD? I suspect that it might only be the RGB.

I would like to record the HD out for editing purposes. Thanks.

S-video is never HD.
RCA y-r-w probably not either.

RGB maybe HD. It's not specified here:
http://mediaschool.ohio.edu/Websites/ousmas/files/Content/2164990/ER_Panasonic_AG-HVX200_Manual.pdf

But since this camera was released in 2005, an era where external recorders were not commonly used at all, HDMI wasn't a standard yet and most monitoring TV's were still SD, I'm afraid you won't be able to connect any usable recorder. (In the document I linked to they still used fax-numbers instead of email addresses :P ) But I hope I'm wrong, btw. (But I think this is a question you should have asked the seller...)

However: you can still record 1080p on P2 cards with a 4:2:2 codec. Just make sure you have fast (RAID) harddrives or SSD to edit on.

Panasonic P2 cards are in the MXF format, which cannot be used on most editing systems
(mine included). A few systems will import the picture, but not the audio. All conversion
systems that I have tried will convert the picture but not the audio.

The Sony Vegas system claims to edit MXF...it imports picture only (no audio). The Edius
system will only import picture as well. The only other 2 systems that I know of that will edit MXF are Avid and FCP (which I don't have). I even tried the Hitfilm system...doesn't work.

I have been able to import (silent) MXF footage into my editor. Dubbing SD audio from
MXF will be no problem, so it looks like I may have to sync the picture to the audio manually
if the composite monitor output is not HD. There must be some info SOMEWHERE on what
kind of signal the camera outputs...

What NLE and what version are you using?
And what OS?
We are talking about a codec that's over 10 years old.
I'm pretty sure Premiere Pro will read it easily: actually I've been working with MXF-files for years.
(But MXF is just a container. Inside there can be different codecs.)

Are you sure your NLE doesn't know the codec?
Or is your drive to slow?
DVCPRO HD is a 100Mb/s codec: in my experience most single disk harddrives top around 70-85 Mb/s
What harddrive do you use?

Thanks for the info Walter. My editing system will not handle the P2, but I don't really want to get into a discussion about computers and editing software. If the RGB output on the camera is in HD, I would simply like to playback my video on the Panasonic in real time, while recording it onto another device (such as another video camera), and then use the dub as my "original"...in theory it would work IF the signal is in HD. Thanks.

You're welcome. Unfortunately I don't have a conclusive anwser on the rgb.

Although you might not want to discuss computers and software, your most efficient workflow solution lies probably in that realm.

If the RGB output on the camera is in HD, I would simply like to playback my video on the Panasonic in real time, while recording it onto another device (such as another video camera), and then use the dub as my "original"...in theory it would work IF the signal is in HD.

Yes, the component outputs HD, depending on the mode the camera was in - ie, the footage you shot was HD.

Not counting the USB connection that transfers the P2 card data, there are THREE different video
"outs" on the camera...an S-video, an RCA yellow-red-white, and a composite RGB connector.

Also, under the headphone jack, there is a firewire port outputs HD footage - records to a Firestore, direct to computer, etc.

Last edited:
No problem, I just quickly perused it. It was more like a sales brochure than a manual. I double-checked the info in Barry Green's HVX Book. I also have his Bootcamp DVDs. And, yes, I've been able to natively edit/play the MXFs, since Premiere CS2.

I still use the HVX and love it. The data rate and picture quality still make it relevant in my book. I just shot this with it. (side drum kit shot is a GoPro, all else is HVX.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oye8tp2yLzA

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help. I was also able to do some additional research and confirmed the HD output as well. I got the HVX200 very cheap, and with all of the rave reviews on it, I couldn't resist. My only problem is a (cheap) editing system that won't accept the MXF, but with the HD output I'm sure that I can put together a "workaround" for the time being. I'll just convert the camera signal to another editing format. Anyway, thanks again.

Why not sync your separately recorded audio? Losing the audio on your video can make syncing more painful but it's far from difficult.

If you require camera audio, then you need to develop a workflow that works for both the equipment you're using and the post prod software you're using. Just be aware, using camera audio is far from a good idea to start with.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Syncing audio and video is being considered also. I did it back in my (double system) film days with a clapper slate. It takes time but it works.

My editing system does not have a "sync soundtrack" function as some do.

Back