Work Vs Play

Hey all,

I have a general business/financial question to throw out at anyone who wants to answer (especially the veterans).

Throughout your "career" as a filmmaker, what kind of jobs (full or part-time) have you taken while making films to balance the money needed for production with your own personal needs (rent, electric, etc.). Or, have you been able to actually make a living solely as a filmmaker? Or do you see this more as just a hobby?

Not sure if this would be an appropriate section for this thread, but it seemed to be the most logical.

Yeah, didn't mean to make that seem insulting. I just wanted to include the hobbyists, part-time and beginners. Didn't know what word to use so I just meant to use Career as a general term and not make it seem like I was only addressing the full-timers. Not at all meant to be derogatory.

For my first feature a few years ago, I worked as a Loss Prevention Agent and took two weeks off to go shoot the movie. My last feature, I was on unemployment, so I essentially got to work at it full time. For my next one, we have $500,000 so I'm getting a salary that will last until I get to make another.

I try to support myself with actual writing/editing gigs, but I have to in the end (especially at my fairly young age) keep in mind that I should be open to anything that puts food in the fridge and still allows me to pursue my dreams of writing/directing/acting/performing in some capacity. It's all about finding the balance and hoping something comes along that makes the whole damn migraine worth while.

I actually make a living working in the film/video field. Most of that work is corporate/commercial work. Working in the field helps me to make many connections so instead of needing funding I pull in a bunch of favors when I want to do a production of my own.

Back