• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

Y.A.F.I.:Underground Media

You Asked For It: Underground Media is a creative outlet for my network of friends. Music, Writing, Art, Cinema and Software. Creative pursuits are the most noble of all human effort, they portend the preferment of the human race.

With How-To's and Production Journals (hideously out of date), I'm personally trying to make making movies approachable by everyone. I spent 2 years trying to get a film school education with for free. These are the results, shared for the world to see.

I'm still working on getting most of my free film school up and online, but I've posted bits about it here. DIY projects, blocking tutorials and turn-key cinematography are pieces that will be up soon. I believe that experimentation with cinema is the only way to learn, but getting to the point where you know what to experiment with is a large hurdle...I hope to alleviate that hurdle.

http://www.yafiunderground.com

p.s. Feel free to post here with things that you would like to see to these ends.

I've updated the site a bit and made the navigation easier than it was. I've also added picture slideshows with the BTS photos that were taken on set. As the film was a learning process for us, so it was for the photographer who got a nice camera and then jumped into learning headfirst.

The inital shots are pretty rough, but the flower shop ones are from the last day of our shoot, several of them turned out quite nicely. His next step is to turn off auto focus.

Enjoy!

If you look closely you can even see me in some of those shots :) (I'm the dork in the leather jacket) -- only in the flower shop photos though.

nope, I've got the green hat on...the baseball cap is my DP for the shoot on one of the few days he was actually able to make it...he had a rough year :).

same size as the rest of them...I put them up full rez, I could resize...think I can do it through the command line using sips. That would save time...I'll have 500 ish images to do if I do them all. but I may not.

Who drives the Volkswagen Passat? A VW is such a smart and reliable car i must remember buy one sometime this year.

Also it looks like a nice sunny day in MN. What scene were you shooting?

whoa...sorry, eddie...I missed this post by a long shot. The passat is mine, I love it. The sunny day was my golden hour shot and is the follow up to the car accident which I am coincidentally editing now. I learned to watch the horizon for trees when picking a location on this shot :( The sunset time is irrelevant if the sun is blocked by trees.

I actually bipped into this thread to post a link for folks to peruse:

http://www.yafiunderground.com/Turnkey/tkoutline.txt

This is what I'm working on for the Turn Key Movie Making Tutorial. My goal is to have no more than a paragraph per page with picture examples and descriptions for every page. More focus on get out and practice than sit and worry about doing the algebra of the focal length of the shot you are going to attempt.

My target audience is folks who are just getting a camcorder and have decided that they want to make a movie with no experience other than knowing how to make the camera record. I don't want people to have to go through what I did to learn this stuff...although its' valuable, I'm a bookworm, so it's really nothing for me to wade through hundreds of pages to glean a nugget of information, but not everyone has that kind of fortitude. I want to condense the whole study I made over the past 4-5 years into "put camera here, point this way, hit go".

That's cool, Knightly. I browsed through some of it and it was pretty good stuff. I'd love to see images with it.

Website is back after a longish haitus...nothing new yet, but a revamp is on the way...going to work to organize the site better and make it not look like I built it by hitting a bag of random things with a 2x4.

Back