• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Am I over-writing?

Heya!

First of all, I need to share the fact that I have never actually written a proper script before. I've half-written scripts for short-projects that I've directed myself. The projects were done with friends. Having a loose script was done on purpose as I wished to allow myself and the actors more freedom and room for improv.

Anywhu, I've not done anything (film-related) in more than two years due to work/university. Now that summer is upon us soon, I've the time to finally put a long-time in-the-waiting-script on paper. With this I hope to go from student/friend-based projects to a proper short-film - festival-quality and all that.

I worry though, because this specific script does not have a lot of dialogue and is not supposed to in the first place, mind you. To me it looks great, obviously, but I worry that potential funding/production-partners might not see it with similar eyes.

I have here a section of a scene from the script. We find the main character of the story at a hospital in a waiting-room, there to receive some test results.

A large, round clock ticking away time, nailed to a white wall is the dominant sound, dictating the gloomy mood. The more one ignores it, the sharper its ticking noise seems to penetrate one's ears. MICHAEL stares at it with great vexation. Sitting on a stiff couch, he struggles with achieving comfort. Perhaps it's not the couch, but the fact that he finds himself here, waiting to receive answers to questions that he does not wish to ask. There are two other people waiting, separated by a table; a YOUNG WOMAN (22), beautiful and voluptuous, sitting to his left on a different couch and an OLD LADY (63), your everyday-grandmother, sitting to his right on a chair. MICHAEL is restless. Tapping his fingers onto his knees, he rocks gently where he sits. Eventually, he stops and with a massive sigh, he surrenders completely to the ever-growing boredom as he sinks deeper into the couch - his chin now touching his chest. He stares into nothingness for a good while, but his gaze eventually shifts towards the left and onto the YOUNG WOMAN. She's typing away on her phone, scrolling through story-times of people she does not truly care about. She stops, as if feeling his depressing gaze upon herself. With a cautious turn of the head, eye contact is made as she is now clearly questioning his motives. Either day-dreaming or armed with the reaction-speed of a sloth, MICHAEL fails to break the eye contact, or capitalise on it.

I feel like this could be shortened, more than just trimmed, I suppose. But I also fear that in doing so, chunks that give essence and "taste" to the script will be sliced off in the process. I'm aware of the fact that you need to leave room for interpretation in regards to the reader, but what if he won't see it in its "true colours"?

What say you?

It's written like a novel. You need to only tell what we can see and hear.

"The more one ignores it, the sharper its ticking noise seems to penetrate one's ears."

You have to write how this will be shown on screen. Are people looking away? And "seems to" how do you show that? Facial expressions? You need to write for the screen.

"waiting to receive answers to questions that he does not wish to ask. "

How do we know this on screen? Is there a scene where he is hesitant to ask? Then that's how you do it. Not what's in his head.

Could go on, but the whole thing is like this. ;)

Welcome to indietalk.

I feel like this could be shortened, more than just trimmed, I suppose. But I also fear that in doing so, chunks that give essence and "taste" to the script will be sliced off in the process. I'm aware of the fact that you need to leave room for interpretation in regards to the reader, but what if he won't see it in its "true colours"?
This isn't a script so it's impossible to offer any suggestions
or advice or even opinion. The person reading a script is going
to want to see a script, not this - even if it does convey the, taste
true colors and essence you want.

Haiku is poem of seventeen syllables, in three lines of five, seven,
and five which doesn’t rhyme. If it doesn’t follow these rules it may
be a great poem, but it isn’t haiku.

Same with a script. If the writer doesn't follow the "rules" of a script
it may be a great story but it isn't a script.

Thanks a bunch for all the replies so far, btw!

I'll give it a proper go to rework that section of the script along with a few others that are similar to somewhat extent (very descriptive & lacking dialogue).

I've got here another section of the script, this part containing dialogue. Am I making similar mistakes here as well?

ac18a0163b364bc925b01714b54b23b3.png

That's it. Now it's a script. You're not overwriting.

Avoid using "ing" - is sitting, is following.

Michael sits at the dinner table. Lisa follows his every step.

I suggest not using parentheticals. But if you feel you must they go under
the character name, not next to it. They are usually used incorrectly
and for no reason. In this sample it's very clear that Michael interrupts
Lisa - no need to write that direction.

Right, and if Michael is already "sitting" you can say Micheal is seated.

Yep or even "Michael, seated, blah, blah, blah".

Key is to write it active. In the above seated is part of defining what Michael "is" in the scene but not what he is DOING (the action). That comes after the "seated".

Reworking your original text in the OP:

A round clock on the wall TICKS away time.

Michael, sitting attentively on a sofa, stares at it, attempting to telepathically will it to TICK more quickly.

After a few moments, with a SIGH, he gives up and slumps against the sofa backrest. Bored he taps his fingers on his knee.

He looks to his right where a grandmotherly OLD LADY (60's) flicks through a magazine. Dismisses her.

He looks to his left where a voloptuous YOUNG WOMAN (22) has her attention focused on her smartphone. His interest grows.

Sensing his gaze she stops, turns and they make eye contact.

An awkward beat.

I'm not saying this is better in any way, but just an example of trimming it down although it's eating up alot of script real estate.

Back