The reasons you visit, and would want to visit IndieTalk

I would like to be able to visit IndieTalk...

• Total voters
… there's nothing on that list that Indietalk is either unique or the leading resource available.

The two things that make IndieTalk unique are:

The quality and patience of the long-term professionals (and highly experienced amateurs) who offer advice and criticism.

The IT moderators keep down the flame wars and other forms of stupid, childish, unprofessional behavior.

I browse and participate on other film sites, but this is "home."

I thought you'd go brutally honest, you disappointed me.

LAWL. So you're saying I've built up a reputation? ;)

98% of what's posted here is some rehash of a question or post that we've all seen over a hundred times.

I know many here offer paid crew slots so just wondering.

From the other side (crew applying) than rik's perspective. It often turns out to be a waste of time for what is almost always an underpaid gig by an inexperienced boss who doesn't know what they want combined with unrealistic expectations.

Going through the standard channels for work in your chosen field and geographic area makes more sense unless you're desperate and cannot find work.

On the other hand, if you can get a decent majority of good gigs posted here, the people will follow. The workers will go where the work is.

The quality and patience of the long-term professionals (and highly experienced amateurs) who offer advice and criticism.

What you're describing isn't unique. Depending on your specialty, there's plenty of better places. For example, yourself and APE bring a lot of audio knowledge to IT but if audio is your thing, jwsoundgroup is a superior place to be. Hell, I'm in a great audio Facebook group which have more comradeship, patience and experience.

The IT moderators keep down the flame wars and other forms of stupid, childish, unprofessional behavior.

Now that's what was unique and interesting about this site. It had character.

Now it's dull, filled with "what camera/microphone/recorder should I buy", h44's forever list of "I'm never going to make a film, but waste your anyway... yes, but..." or the "You must help me raise 7 figures so I can direct my stinking pile"

....and don't forget the never-ending list of ungrateful, entitled lazy shits who are angry at you (APE and users) who foolishly took the time out of your busy day, explaining why their unrealistic expectations are... unrealistic... and now it's all your fault... you're the ass****. What do you mean you need to spend money to hire a professional to get professional results...

I'm glad it still works for you. Indietalk is a better place with you in it.

The two things that make IndieTalk unique are:

Thanks AA, you're one of the big assets no doubt. I'm glad a lot of the old crew is still around, and that they have such patience.

We can set up a better way to get answers, as in filmmakers marking a question solved, and therefore when others search, the answer is highlighted for them. So the forum is in essence an easier to digest knowledgebase. Members that provide such value as an answer have a higher level of trust noted by a hierarchical system etc. etc... there's some stuff in store, this is to judge a certain way to steer, but there is good stuff coming in that regard.

We could possibly partner with InkTip we have been in contact with them in the past. I'm sure there's something we could do to mutually benefit our sites.

There was also a plan once to offer script coverage at a pretty affordable rate by an accomplished screenwriter. However it didn't seem many here would be interested or would actually use that service.

To watch H44 finally make a film with no ifs or buts? Just kidding (or am I) Iv come a long way and it's all credit to this website, I would never have met the people I did or develop my skills without some people from this site, I do feel as though the site is dying a bit and perhaps it could use film news to spark debate such as new cameras, new lights etc perhaps even showcasing some of the filmmakers here work as a monthly special.

Either way, Iv come to a point where some of the questions I needed answering were only answerable by industry professionals so I think this site has done me a great job.

Actually, he HAS made a film. If I remember correctly, it's about 40 minutes long? Or maybe it's more like 20? Whatever, I don't remember. Either way, it is quite an accomplishment. I've seen it. The original director's cut. There was a much shorter version cut as well, and they are dramatically different from each other.

The long-time IT'ers know that H44 and I have had what you might call a sticky relationship, so I think it'd be wise of me to say nothing else about his film. But hey, at least he HAS actually made a film. And that was many years ago. Since he was secretive about the release of that film, there's no telling what he may have done since then.

H44, I of course do not intend to speak for you.

Ok, I'll go with the nice, polite pleasant answer.

I'd like the site to stop playing second or third fiddle. I'd like it to be great at whatever it does, not a distant shadow of other available resources. I guess you're either looking for areas to look to either expand or improve.

Not trying to insult you or any members here, there's nothing on that list that Indietalk is either unique or the leading resource available.

Whatever you choose, be the best in that area.... or exclusive.

That is how I see it. That is what I want to see.

I agree with your assessment that there's nothing particularly original on the list in the survey. There are other websites (with much more traffic) that also offer those things. And I think IT is obviously looking to figure out how to drive up the traffic, and I totally support that.

In fact, I support it so much that part of my "master-plan" in finding an audience for my next film involves doing whatever I can to drive up the traffic to this website. To me, the way that IT is unique from other websites is that we try to be civil to each other here. Yes, there are occasional dust-ups, I would know better than anybody. But as a whole, IT is a place where newbs can ask newb questions and not fear ridicule. I've seen those other websites, and they're vicious.

Is there anything particularly original on the list? Not really. But does IT have an original approach in how to deliver the things on that list? Absolutely.

I forgot to put in the poll: The reason I come to IT...

"That helpful fellow named rik always provides the best answers to my filmmaking questions"

;)

Yep. Not blowing any smoke up your ass, Rik. You deserve the very high praise. I've said this before, and I'll say it again -- any successes that I've ever had or ever will have in filmmaking are largely attributable to your tutelage.

There was nothing innovative in the poll, sure. The idea was to see what you come here for and what you would, and then innovate in that area.

Of course asking and answering questions is high. I suppose I was looking for secondary reasons. With 18 votes it's hard to judge, but I will go with what I have. Some people have replied and have not voted. ;)

19 votes, one more and I'll consider it closed thanks.

There was also a plan once to offer script coverage at a pretty affordable rate by an accomplished screenwriter. However it didn't seem many here would be interested or would actually use that service.

For what it's worth, I would find affordable, good script coverage of interest.

I just voted, a bit late, but still did my duty.

Anyway, I do like being the best at what I do, which I strive for in my work. But I am still happy with this forum as it is, and I am grateful for all the help I've received from the members. I have given some advice on various matters, and, as I bone up on American entertainment law and American IP law, I may do so more often. :)

I'd like to see a more dedicated forum section where members can list/browse NON (or extremely low) paying crew jobs. I'm not the least interested if Harold Hecuba is casting "The Mouse That Bored", but I'd be willing to jump in and help a young Nick Chapman. Right now, "Industry Jobs and Services" seems filled with calls for festival submissions or casting calls for established TV shows rather than calls of "aspiring young filmmaker needs EVERYTHING for 2 day shoot... no pay, and stale donuts only". Personally, I like stale donuts.

I'd like to see a more dedicated forum section where members can list/browse NON (or extremely low) paying crew jobs. I'm not the least interested if Harold Hecuba is casting "The Mouse That Bored", but I'd be willing to jump in and help a young Nick Chapman. Right now, "Industry Jobs and Services" seems filled with calls for festival submissions or casting calls for established TV shows rather than calls of "aspiring young filmmaker needs EVERYTHING for 2 day shoot... no pay, and stale donuts only". Personally, I like stale donuts.

I 100% agree. And the reality is at very low levels, we skills exchange. For example, I have leaned more towards sound recording, basic mixing and 'safe' cinematography whereas FilmAutre is all about amazing visuals. When we crew up, this combo means we have a good team and we don't have to pay crew.

A section dedicated to that would be amazing.

Or even kit mixes. So FilmAutre and I have completely complimentary kit. Everything overlaps beautifully so we don't need to hire anything. This again, saves us a ton of money and allows us to make money with paying clients.

The only crew I actually give money to on set is a MUA because MUAs have serious costs.

Moderating is a thankless job.

I think that discussion is what makes inditalk great. Not what's bringing it down.

If a pro like APE leaves because of this behavior then he is the fool. itsastruggle
isn't interested in learning. We pros could recognize that, offer advice so others
can learn something and walk away. In that thread CF would like APE to leave
and it seems you would like struggle to leave.

I hope they both stay.

I will no longer offer advice to struggle but there are many who will. In my opinion
if a mod were to stop this passion from being expressed indietalk would be a lesser
place. We need the pro advice and we need the dedicated, experienced amateur
advice. We will always have an "itsastruggle" who doesn't want to learn. We need
then, too.

Moderating is a thankless job.

I think that discussion is what makes inditalk great. Not what's bringing it down.

If a pro like APE leaves because of this behavior then he is the fool. itsastruggle
isn't interested in learning. We pros could recognize that, offer advice so others
can learn something and walk away. In that thread CF would like APE to leave
and it seems you would like struggle to leave.

I hope they both stay.

I will no longer offer advice to struggle but there are many who will. In my opinion
if a mod were to stop this passion from being expressed indietalk would be a lesser
place. We need the pro advice and we need the dedicated, experienced amateur
advice. We will always have an "itsastruggle" who doesn't want to learn. We need
then, too.

Well this is one of those rare occasions in which I disagree with you, directorik.

I don't think struggle is rejecting good advice, I think they are accepting that not all advice is good.

We're having this discussion on INDIE-talk, let's not forget that. The advice offered by APE is almost always impossible for any indie filmmaker to pull off.

So yeah, APE, your advice is more than welcome, but you're a damn fool if you think that any indie filmmaker can meet your standards.

Disagreement is terrific. But I don't think we disagree.

APE and I have had our issues and they are for the same reason you mention;
he rarely recognizes the "indie" side of things. Doesn't mean the advice isn't
good advice. As I said, I think he should offer his advice, tell us the way the
industry works from his pro point of view and then back off when an amateur
gets angry and abusive.

So what would you have the mods do in this case? I think they should stay out
of it. What say you?

Back