Actors for SETI

Hi,

I started a team at the SETI home page for actors to help find intelligent life in the universe. The url is here: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=119197

Space is huge, and to search radio signals from space for any possiblility of intelligence takes a lot of computer time. You can help by joining the team and add a fraction of your computers power to numbercrunching the data. The little program that gets the data, crunches it, and sends it back to SETI is very non-intrusive. I leave it running all the time, even when working during the day, and I never notice a slow down. To learn more about SETI (as seen in the movie Contact with Jodie Foster) go here: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Thanks and Kind Regards,
Donald C. Foley

Home: www.donaldcfoley.com
IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm1975841/

I used to have that running all the time. :cool:

Can't install it on my current workmachines. :no:

Must... find... intelligent... life. Lord knows we need more here on Earth.
smiley_pac.gif

CootDog said:
What does it do exactly?

SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

When you run SETI@home on your computer, it will use part of the computer's CPU power, disk space, and network bandwidth. You can control how much of your resources are used by SETI@home, and when it uses them.

Think millions of Jodie Fosters from "Contact" all looking through the data from that huge freaking radio dish from "007:Golden Eye".

<whisper>You've gotta speak in terms they understand</whisper>

;)

Yes, I know what SETI is, but I personally don't feel comfortable installing an application on my pc the opens a portal to another network.

That's just my thoughts coming from the Technology Risk Management field.

Hi CootDog,

That is certainly a valid concern. You could go look at the site, and see what they say about it. I am pretty comfortable with it because I belief the source is a valid trusted organization, but certainly there are always risks when computers are involved. In the end, I guess for me it is worth the slight risk to be a part of something so cool. I have always loved space stuff, so this was right up my alley. I would love to have you on the team, but I understand where you are coming from.

Kind Regards,
Donald C. Foley

Home: www.donaldcfoley.com
IMDB: www.imdb.com/name/nm1975841/

Back