Important question! Can you send your film into festival review with any music ?

work in progress is wrong word. I m showing the movie as a i want it at some point to people without compromise. To acquire help with music i probably cant afford.
So how will you afford it if you get in?
Why would they accept your film if you can't guarantee you will have the rights? If they do accept you on the premise that you'll buy the rights, and then you can't do that (maybe the artist won't even sell you the rights), it's been a waste of their time in watching and judging your film, and gives them a headache to find a replacement film.

I imagine a lot of music companies and artist would be annoyed that you'd assumed you'd get rights later, too.

But we're not the right people to ask. The most accurate way to get an answer is to ask the film festival(s) you want to enter.

Most will say no, but you seem sure it shouldn't be an issue, so maybe you can reason with them.

So how will you afford it if you get in?
Why would they accept your film if you can't guarantee you will have the rights? If they do accept you on the premise that you'll buy the rights, and then you can't do that (maybe the artist won't even sell you the rights), it's been a waste of their time in watching and judging your film, and gives them a headache to find a replacement film.

I imagine a lot of music companies and artist would be annoyed that you'd assumed you'd get rights later, too.

But we're not the right people to ask. The most accurate way to get an answer is to ask the film festival(s) you want to enter.

Most will say no, but you seem sure it shouldn't be an issue, so maybe you can reason with them.

its not a waste of anyone's time. its good for me and them. Artists dont choose these decisions . i'm talking about being an artist and not compromising . taking chances.

not just festival but having a showing for people who may want to distribute. you show it as you would have it to entice them.

You never said anything about distributors.

But you should go for it. Use that line of reasoning with festivals and distros and see where it gets you. Maybe it'll even work.

Question: Why do you start multiple threads asking questions to then ignore the answers you dislike?

Last edited:
You never said anything about distributors.

But you should go for it. Use that line of reasoning with festivals and distros and see where it gets you. Maybe it'll even work.

Question: Why do you start multiple threads asking questions to then ignore the answers you dislike?

thanks. i am not trying to ignore what i dislike. I try to find out solid answers and try to weed through interpretation. Try to find certainty.

Private showings are slightly difference than a public showing.

I know what you're asking, there are really 2 main people that you need to talk with:

A). Lawyers. Is it worth chancing your freedom or a significant fine for breaking a law that you may not even have realized you broke. The part that makes this even more important is that you seem to know that this is wrong hence the question.

B). Festival runners. If they say no, what are you going to do? Point them to a forum where you asked and continued to ask until the other members just said, "Yeah why not, this guy doesn't listen anyway" ?

I'd suggest at a dead minimum, negotiate for the music in the mean time. Get an agreement on paper and don't sign it until you're accepted. That way you know the price, and hopefully they don't hike the price up once you're accepted (which can and sometimes does happen - "Oh, you really need us, your choices are very limited now. You can pay more!").

its good for me and them.

Wasting someone's time is never a good thing.

Just like all the other things i was told i couldnt but have

Guess we'll see you rob a bank next. "Hey, I needed money and they have money and someone told me I couldn't do it, so I did.... me is smart"

Consider this very possible scenario:

You send you movie to a festival selection committee with the music
that is perfect for your movie. You get accepted. You then inquire
about festival rights and the artist says “We're very sorry, we are
not interested in selling the festival rights to the music.”

Now what do you do? Send in a movie that is different than the one
what got accepted?

i'm talking about being an artist and not compromising.

Are you talking about yourself as the artist or the artists whose art you plan to use before you get their permission? If you don't want to compromise as an artist then you're going to have to make sure that your art does not contain or depend on the art created/owned by someone else!

its not a waste of anyone's time. its good for me and them.

I see why it's good for you but I'm not sure I can see why it's good for them?

not just festival but having a showing for people who may want to distribute.

What distributor would have any interest in a film which they can't distribute?! Film festivals only have time and interest in films they can screen and distributors only have interest in films they can distribute.

G

Are you talking about yourself as the artist or the artists whose art you plan to use before you get their permission? If you don't want to compromise as an artist then you're going to have to make sure that your art does not contain or depend on the art created/owned by someone else!

I see why it's good for you but I'm not sure I can see why it's good for them?

What distributor would have any interest in a film which they can't distribute?! Film festivals only have time and interest in films they can screen and distributors only have interest in films they can distribute.

G

a few things you may not get... distribution for the rare film that is good has a chance of having music paid for hence the point of getting it out there . If no one is going to help with anything i'd keep 100 percent rights myself and get it out there the best i could taking the whole cut myself.

I"m not talking about showing the music in festival without the rights so come down. Which i could probably getaway with anyway in some festivals.

a few things you may not get... distribution for the rare film that is good has a chance of having music paid for hence the point of getting it out there . If no one is going to help with anything i'd keep 100 percent rights myself and get it out there the best i could taking the whole cut myself.

I"m not talking about showing the music in festival without the rights so come down. Which i could probably getaway with anyway in some festivals.

showing the film as i would want it to people who may be interested . They can see it as it should be and may want to help. Most indie filmmakers slap free shit music on and know nothing of music. so i could see you dont understand

I'd love to have some Frank Sinatra music, and maybe a little Elvis Presley in my next feature (yeah I'm older than you). But I know I can't have it so I work with what I can get.

Sure you can send a screener in with unlicensed music, but you can't play at the festival unless you've asked the bands and/or secured the licensing.

However, many films break this rule. I broke it and now I actually regret it because now that the festival run is over, in order to release my film online, I still have to pay the licensing fees and now I'm swapping out all the music I fell in love with for songs I can actually afford.

Also, if you send in your festival screener with mega-hits in your soundtrack, it's going to be very obvious to them that you will not be able to afford those songs in the end. They won't take you seriously and may not accept you into their festival for that reason.

a few things you may not get... distribution for the rare film that is good has a chance of having music paid for hence the point of getting it out there .

Whether there is a "chance" and regardless of how "good" that chance, even if payment is absolutely guaranteed, whether an artist wants their music to be used in your film is entirely up to them, it's their art and their choice, not yours. This is one of several things you don't seem to "get"!

The fact that many amateurs are ignorant of the law regarding the right to copy someone else's art and that in certain circumstances they might even get away with breaking it, is irrelevant, it's still against copyright law! What you don't seem to "get" is that you had absolutely no right to copy and use someone else's music in your film in the first place! In effect you've already stolen and used someone else's property and what you're talking about now is how far you're likely to get before the fact that you've broken the law comes along and bites you in the ass.

showing the film as i would want it to people who may be interested . They can see it as it should be and may want to help.

How you want your film to be shown is irrelevant unless it's actually your own film, which it obviously isn't if it contains the unauthorised use someone else's property. No one will be interested in your film because it's not your film! Film distributors are not in the business of wanting to help you, they are in the business of distributing films, if you don't have a film which they can distribute, they will simply move on to another filmmaker who does. I can't see what's so difficult about this concept to grasp?

G

Whether there is a "chance" and regardless of how "good" that chance, even if payment is absolutely guaranteed, whether an artist wants their music to be used in your film is entirely up to them, it's their art and their choice, not yours. This is one of several things you don't seem to "get"!

The fact that many amateurs are ignorant of the law regarding the right to copy someone else's art and that in certain circumstances they might even get away with breaking it, is irrelevant, it's still against copyright law! What you don't seem to "get" is that you had absolutely no right to copy and use someone else's music in your film in the first place! In effect you've already stolen and used someone else's property and what you're talking about now is how far you're likely to get before the fact that you've broken the law comes along and bites you in the ass.

How you want your film to be shown is irrelevant unless it's actually your own film, which it obviously isn't if it contains the unauthorised use someone else's property. No one will be interested in your film because it's not your film! Film distributors are not in the business of wanting to help you, they are in the business of distributing films, if you don't have a film which they can distribute, they will simply move on to another filmmaker who does. I can't see what's so difficult about this concept to grasp?

G

first of all im a musician i know about rights. And rarely an artist okays the music rather the the label. It would be better for me if it were up to the artist.

I'm not talking about stealing it I"m talking about having a showing to interest investors. If you have a film that matches up to the great music you will get them. Something totally different than what your assuming way ahead of you

You will have to take the chance if you feel it's the rare film that is good.

I'm really curious.
Is there any change you'll cut a trailer (with music you can afford) as appetizer?

the chance of paying for the music you mean?

i will eventually cut the trailer with different music

That's exactly what I meant: using different music for the trailer you can afford. This can be stockmusic. Maybe not unique, but at least affordable without a big 'risk'.

yes but we were talking about the actual film the showing of my film. The trailor is less serious. Much worse to use music for film then trailor. trailor big deal

Back