Assistant Editor not responding...

Hey everyone,

First post here. I just wrapped a mid sized budget short film and gave the footage to an asst editor to transcode and sync audio for our editor. He received the footage early last week and said it would only take a few days. On Sunday I asked for an update and received no response. Since then I have called and left a voicemail, sent several text messages and an email which have all been ignored. Not really sure what to do at this point. I made the mistake of paying him upfront and due to some technical issues, I had to give him both my harddrives so he would have all the footage to transcode. Meaning that I do not have any footage myself.

What's the best way to go about this? I know his home address, email and phone number obviously. Starting to think the worst.

Thanks

Was this assistant editor known to anyone beforehand? Any references or mutual friend? If so, check in with them. If he got run over by an icecream truck, he can't exactly return your calls but friends may know the... (wait for it)... scoop.

If he's overwhelmed with end-of-year work (or is just incompetent), and hasn't actually done the work - priority is to get the footage back. Maybe suck it up & tell him it's no big deal, you just need the harddrives back. Worry about getting your bux back later.

Here's to hoping he's just a poor communicator, with a finished project waiting for you, and he's just been pulling some 16 hour days on set and merely left his cellphone charger at home. :cheers:

Unfortunately no references. We posted an ad online and he seemed the most qualified based on his resume. He also owns a local media company (I know the address there too). I just emailed him again saying that's it's ok but I need to pick up the hard drives. Will try calling again today too.

At the point where I feel I need to either show up on his doorstep or get the police involved in order to get this footage back. We maxed out all of our savings to make this film and I will not let this guy ruin this for us.

I suspect it is unlikely that he so loves your movie that he
wants to steal your hard drives and property. Three days
(Sunday to Tuesday) is a long time to go without any
communication so I understand your concern. I second
mlesemann - go to his place of business today. No police,
just you asking for information on the project. If you don't
like what you hear take your drives back.

Update! Thanks for all the advice guys. After doing some more research on him, it looks as though his place of work is his own start up company that went under. Place is for rent. Got very worried (not that he wanted to steal my movie but that he wanted to pawn the drives for quick cash) so I went to his apartment with my production partner this morning.

He answered all cracked out. Nasty beard with spit all in it, bug eyes and looked like he hasn't showered since I'd seen him last. I asked for my harddrives and my money back and asked if he had done any work on it. He said he hadn't had time yet and that his phone and computer were disconnected (His phone rang through every time I called and he was literally holding it when he answered the door sooo).

I ended up getting the drives back but he didn't have my money. Told me to give him two days. Screw it, I'm not going back there. Got my drives and all is good. Now time to find a more reliable assistant editor as soon as I make another backup of the footage.

Thanks again everyone!

Nice story lol

Also kudos, you asked a question and then had it solved in the real world 3 hours later.

He had light, evenly spread scruff when I first met him. Seems as though he hadn't shaved since that day (exactly 1 week).

We have had more issues with making this film than I have had in all my past projects combined. Most of which were things completely out of our control, though not all. Surprisingly, we had the biggest budget for this project. But lots of stories to look back on and laugh at once it's all finished! Thanks everyone!

P.S- love this community and forum! Glad I joined

well, it is NO SHAVE NOVEMBER, so that explains the beard ;)

Other than that.. don't be stupid in the future.

No money till the work is done.
Backups, backups and more backups.

You can get a 2tb USB drive for $50. No excuse for sending the only copy of material to ANYONE!
Don't toss $10K worth of effort into a black hole because you cant drop a $200 on backup drives!

Halt all work. You are living on borrowed time until you back your project up (twice).

That said, I'm thrilled you got your drives back. Never trust people with beards.

Ha! Yea lesson learned. Backed up all the footage twice and gave it to someone I trust. Happy to have learned the lesson without losing much

Heh, just saw your followup on Craigslist. Time's better spent working on what you have; not getting worked up over what was.

Found a new editor yet? :)

Back