rent a camera?

Im working on my first feature film. My old camera is crashed. Cant afford a camera thats good enough in my opinion. Any luck with these companies that offer to rent camera?

... Im very interested in trying it for fun. Its not like I plan on filming something that will make me a millionare. Maybe I should take it a little more seriously, but i started the project for fun, and even if I hire a DP to make it more proffesional, my number one goal is to have fun with it.

There it is! Okay, this is kinda the meat and potatoes of it.

You gotta understand, lots of posters who start talking about their first feature films have high expectations and high hopes of festival distribution and getting "discovered". The liklihood of any of that happening on a first feature is slim to none, but if there's any hope even of having some distribution then it makes sense to get a DP owner/operator.

I like that you have a much more realistic approach, and that you're honest about your expectations.

Since you're doing this for fun, does that mean you're also doing this to learn and brush up your skills? If this is all what's driving you, then you might be just fine buying a camera that you can use for this project and others beyond it. Even a good deal on a used DSLR will give you something to learn with, and that can get you good pictures if you put in some elbow grease. You can do that, with a couple decent lenses, for under $1k.

One of the bigger newbie mistakes that can ruin an indie film - even one that's "for fun" - is sound. If you save some of your budget on camera, put more of it into getting a skilled recordist who has a decent kit. On-camera mic ain't gonna cut it.

Check FB for local film groups. If not, start one. It's a good way to work on films if you can get it together. Invite local filmmakers you found by searching. Call it a networking group to help on each others' projects and to brainstorm. Schedule a monthly get together in your area once you have enough members. Once it gets going, well, then you know people. And if you are the organizer-in-chief, maybe people will want to help you out. Just an idea.

Good idea. And yes, I hope to learn alot through this. But Im in it for fun. I have a decent job that i enjoy, and not expecting this to change that. But after some time and plenty of mistakes, maybe one day I will have expert experience, lol.

Back